Best Tyres for Cape Epic

JasonNZ246

Hey team, looking for recommendations on the best  tyres to run for the Epic? Thanks heaps 

Edited by JasonNZ246

I know where all the Maxxis comments are coming from but show me a xc tyre that's going to survive those rocks at that speed with only 0.9 - 1.2 bar pressure. 

7 hours ago, JasonNZ246 said:

Hey team, looking for recommendations on the best  tyres to run for the Epic? Thanks heaps 

I would go Schwalbe Racing Ray / Racing Ralph in Superground as a combo. Maxxis Ikon / Rekon Race would also be a good one that I have ridden a lot in this region (Hermanus / Oak Valley etc). 2.35 / 2.4 width. I’d also put in a light noodle in the rear just for peace of mind  something like the tubolights or Vittoria airliners.

Specialized also make some durable, fast rolling tires too.

Schwalbe would be fine if you're a 50-60kg rider, don't run low pressure and tip toe through the rock gardens. 

My go to would be Rekon Race and Ikon it's a nice balance between grip, rolling resistance and sidewalls for xc is tough enough. 

Tyre's would not be my personal worry my rear and legs for that 7 days of af 💩... 🤣 

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

11 minutes ago, Jbr said:

**** I only see this topic now... Thought I had a good joke 🤣

I rode them in 2021 without issue 🙃

10 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Probably the wrong thread.....but has anyone tried the Onza Canis?

ONZA CANIS Skinwall Cross Country Mountainbike Tire 29" | ONZA Tires (onza-tires.com)

I am incredibly underwhelmed by Onza tires. 

I found they wore quickly and were prone to cuts between the knobs that didn't disintegrate or rip off by the 5th ride.

OP, I have 2 questions for you.

Are you racing in a space where weight is a factor? Like top 30 overall.

If not, run a heavier, more reliable tire. Within reason for those about to smash me with DH double down casings.

If it were me, I'd be tempted to run the Spez Fast Track Grid Gripton front and rear in either 2.3 or 2.6, depending on your weight (Under 75kg or over 75kg)

Or Ikon front and rear. Thay are fast, reliable and have more than sufficient grip to safely navigate 7 days at Epic.

I would also recommend running them NOT at the lowest possible pressure but a couple of PSI above that. Again, snake bikes and rim dings equal lots of hassle, time and trailside repair stress. This vs the 3% you 'might' lose in grip to have some peace of mind just isn't worth it if you're not trying to cut out seconds.

If you're viewing time chunks in 20 minute blocks (not 30 second blocks) ride smart, ride reliable and get over the line as hassle free as possible.

But of course you knew that

58 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I am incredibly underwhelmed by Onza tires. 

I found they wore quickly and were prone to cuts between the knobs that didn't disintegrate or rip off by the 5th ride.

OP, I have 2 questions for you.

Are you racing in a space where weight is a factor? Like top 30 overall.

If not, run a heavier, more reliable tire. Within reason for those about to smash me with DH double down casings.

If it were me, I'd be tempted to run the Spez Fast Track Grid Gripton front and rear in either 2.3 or 2.6, depending on your weight (Under 75kg or over 75kg)

Or Ikon front and rear. Thay are fast, reliable and have more than sufficient grip to safely navigate 7 days at Epic.

I would also recommend running them NOT at the lowest possible pressure but a couple of PSI above that. Again, snake bikes and rim dings equal lots of hassle, time and trailside repair stress. This vs the 3% you 'might' lose in grip to have some peace of mind just isn't worth it if you're not trying to cut out seconds.

If you're viewing time chunks in 20 minute blocks (not 30 second blocks) ride smart, ride reliable and get over the line as hassle free as possible.

But of course you knew that

Interesting, I’ve never tried onza tbh… never heard of the until a few weeks ago.

my vote would go for the ikons, found them a bit heavy but bullet proof.

Tyre brand 2016 2017 2018 2019
Maxxis 24% 31% 43% 42%
Schwalbe 35% 27% 22% 16%
Vittoria/Geax 10% 11% 13% 8%
Continental 17% 16% 12% 8%
Bontrager 3% 6% 4% 4%
Mitas 3% 4% 2% 2%
Vredestein 1% 1% 1% 0%
Michelin 1% 1% 1% 1%
Kenda 1% 1% 0.5% 1%
WTB 0% 0% 0.5% 1%
Other 5% 2% 1% 17%

With 42%, Maxxis remains the most dominant tyre brand, with Schwalbe still in second but continuing to decline year on year to just 16%. Continental also dropped its Cape Epic market-share, sharing third place with Vittoria/Geax, which, after two years of increase, saw a decrease to 8%, while Bontrager remained in fifth place with 4%.

The rocks arn,t as sharp in the western cape as they are in Gauteng and the magaliesberg .I rode with what i use up here Vittorio Barzo and Maxxis ikon,s .More important is to have the correct sealant and enough of it .Only fresh Stan,s ,tyrejuice or ryder sealant .Those unbreakable orange tubes are crap .Ours lasted 30 minutes before puncturing .The area around the valve is also too wide and does not fit in some rims ,so they don,t allow a good seal .Take two normal robust rubber tubes and test them before .I lost an Epic medal because of the above mentioned .Robustness is more important than weight .I used a Schwalbe nobby nick in front once and with my 100kg weigh ,i never slipped on any off camber turns .My second event i used Maxxis ikon,s 2,4 back and front with no punctures .Ikon,s and schwalbe tyres are reasnoble easy to get of the rim if you need to .Vittorios are excellent but can be a monster to take of and replace again 

Edited by eala

Jokes (aspens) aside. I have been using ikons front and rear for a few years now and they served me well. Only had one cut that required a plug. 

For the Attakwas (I have not encountered a more rocky route) I increased pressure to 1.7 bar (I am around 76kg kitted up), no issues with the Ikons. Just remember the sacrifice of grip when increasing the pressure and ride a bit more conservatively.

19 minutes ago, eala said:

The rocks arn,t as sharp in the western cape as they are in Gauteng and the magaliesberg .I rode with what i use up here Vittorio Barzo and Maxxis ikon,s .More important is to have the correct sealant and enough of it .Only fresh Stan,s ,tyrejuice or ryder sealant .Those unbreakable orange tubes are crap .Ours lasted 30 minutes before puncturing .The area around the valve is also too wide and does not fit in some rims ,so they don,t allow a good seal .Take two normal robust rubber tubes and test them before .I lost an Epic medal because of the above mentioned .Robustness is more important than weight .I used a Schwalbe nobby nick in front once and with my 100kg weigh ,i never slipped on any off camber turns .My second event i used Maxxis ikon,s 2,4 back and front with no punctures .Ikon,s and schwalbe tyres are reasnoble easy to get of the rim if you need to .Vittorios are excellent but can be a monster to take of and replace again 

Specialized's spare tubes, proper rubber ones, are significantly smaller than other brands.  I find this very handy for packing space on the bike.

I have only needed it once, and it worked perfectly.

Well I ran before, during and after the Epic,  the kendas are trouble free which means no flats. I ride:train in Southern CAlifornia and Mexico, which is desert rocks 100% of the time. So we destroy tires, I run low pressure almost too low for my weight. 

Of course someone will say but I got a flat once, but if you see what pros got flats and the tire brand a pattern is clear. I seen the same pattern locally , but to each its own.