Cycling shorts (lycra), not bibs

ChrisF

I am looking for cycling shorts with higher quality chamois, for long rides and 3 day stage racing.

I have used the RED First Accent for short rides, it is a nice value for money product.

20230203_152907.jpg.00c98a639b0ce467b4b8dfe9b5c7826b.jpg

Their BLUE is nice for 4 to 5 hour rides.  Few years down the line I think the chamois has lost its "sponge" .... discomfort setting in before 3 hours.

Tempted to buy another BLUE shorts for my normal rides.

HOWEVER ... the actual question being to find cycling shorts for 3-day stage racing.

i was keen on the First Accent BLACK range .... sadly they only have this in bibs, and are not planning on getting it in shorts.

Struggling to find similar range comparisons for other brands.

I can get:

1. Ciovita Corsa, they have this in both bib and shorts .... after two bad experiences with the Corsa I am reluctant to get another Corsa.

Not sure if they have a better model/range than the Corsa .... something aimed at stage racing.

2. Assos also have both a bib and shorts option, on paper.  I have one of their bibs ... certainly my best padded pants.

Shops indicated they would have to check on actual stock and availability.  If this thread does not come up with a viable alternative I may well go this route ....

I am not a bib fan .... heat . . Practicality ...

Would appreciate your advise and feedback on options for cycling shorts.  At the price of premium products, the school fees add up quickly ....

Dankie

9 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I am looking for cycling shorts with higher quality chamois, for long rides and 3 day stage racing.

I have used the RED First Accent for short rides, it is a nice value for money product.

Their BLUE is nice for 4 to 5 hour rides.  Few years down the line I think the chamois has lost its "sponge" .... discomfort setting in before 3 hours.

HOWEVER ... the actual question being to find cycling shorts for 3-day stage racing.

i was keen on the First Accent BLACK range .... sadly they only have this in bibs, and are not planning on getting it in shorts.

I can get:

1. Ciovita Corsa, they have this in both bib and shorts .... after two bad experiences with the Corsa I am reluctant to get another Corsa.

Not sure if they have a better model/range than the Corsa .... something aimed at stage racing.

2. Assos also have both a bib and shorts option, on paper.  I have one of their bibs ... certainly my best padded pants.

Shops indicated they would have to check on actual stock and availability.  If this thread does not come up with a viable alternative I may well go this route ....

Would appreciate your advise and feedback on options for cycling shorts.  At the price of premium products, the school fees add up quickly ....

Dankie

Me to i was wanting to start a new thread about stage races and what we need and what not 

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I can get:

Dankie

I wonder how the guys with their cheap steel bikes and no chamois do it. 

7 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

Castelli do nice shorts but sizing is more for lanky than stocky people 

Thank you.

I see their shorts are in the Trisport section only.  One on a very good sale now.

Pity only a Joburg based store for those that want to fit before buying.  I am now hovering between L and XL, depending on the brand and the cut ....

? Rule Number 5? No poofta’s?

If so, I have not thought about that sketch for 30-odd years!

Chris in my bit of experience with ultra rides and stage races I've found that comfort has only a little too do with what shorts and more to do with how used too spending time in the saddle you are.

And despite all of that if it's a proper test in time and distance is gonna hurt anyway ... 

Just my humble opinion of course 😜

1 hour ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Chris in my bit of experience with ultra rides and stage races I've found that comfort has only a little too do with what shorts and more to do with how used too spending time in the saddle you are.

And despite all of that if it's a proper test in time and distance is gonna hurt anyway ... 

Just my humble opinion of course 😜

Sadly I think you are spot on ! :eek:

Last year I was doing 100 to 120km rides prepping for Trans Augrabies.  Same pants worked perfectly fine then ... well, it hurt less and later in the ride.

For the last few months my long rides are typically 60 to 80km.  And I now "feel" it when doing the odd 100km ride ....

Northcliff Cycles in joeys that had Assos shorts (not bibs) on special recently... for R500 a pair. Maybe check with them if they have stock? 

And I take it you wear a pair of baggies over your shorts? I think the likes of Fox do a combo pair of baggies with shorts - maybe look at that option