Really, No Epic 2023 Thread?

BMCfan

17 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Weather about to turn the race upside down ....

Mechanics are now standing in water working on the bikes.

Shimano vs Sram. Lol

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Then you can't really call it the Tour de France of mtb anymore.

If wout and MVDP can ride TdF then the top XCO should be here too.

thing is, take Nino out and there's no one from XCO rankings there.

Long gone are the days of Coolharvey, Marotte, Avancini, Hermida plus many others riding epic. Even local boy AHatherley has just the one epic (5th place)

it just shows so much more of a void in the ladies field. 

Good point

Long gone are the days of Coolharvey, Marotte, Avancini, Hermida plus many others riding epic. Even local boy AHatherley has just the one epic (5th place)

Would love to see Alan and Simon do an Epic together, think they could do really well. 

Good point

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

We have friends riding.  Doing the B&B thing.  BUT, each day they still spend time in the great tent with the others, getting pics with Amy and Nino .....  AND getting the spuit poep ....  very nearly had very bad Tuesday !!  Couple of their friends then dropped out due to this ...

So it is most certainly not "restricted to the tent dwellers" .....

And the point you want make?

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

We have friends riding.  Doing the B&B thing.  BUT, each day they still spend time in the great tent with the others, getting pics with Amy and Nino .....  AND getting the spuit poep ....  very nearly had very bad Tuesday !!  Couple of their friends then dropped out due to this ...

So it is most certainly not "restricted to the tent dwellers" .....

Eating and drinking during the day in dusty dirty conditions is a recipe for spuit poep, as a participant your hands that you handle your food with while riding are dirty, your water bottle spout is dirty and even the food tables at the water points are exposed due to everyone grabbing stuff with dirty hands and stuffing it down their throat.

Hygiene is critical, but very difficult over 7 days in the untamed African bush 

Seeing that this is all Epic, I’m very curious to find out how do the Cape Epic attract people like Nino,

Does he get paid to take part and to make media posts? A few days leading up to the race he would make some Epic posts on instagram. I’m just curious on how the economics work around the athletes . 

I understand that this might not be the place but if anyone knows or has some insight please send me a DM. 

4 hours ago, babse said:

As long as my 120kg CEO can enter this race without any qualification... This is not even close to the tour de France 

If amateurs were allowed to enter Le Tour at the same numbers as the Epic and allowed double the time to finish like Epic ,i see a lot of people taking that on year after year .Your 120kg CEO can make it if he prepared .It will be hard ,but doable .You need to be fit and be able to ride technical trails .Some of these amateurs spend a year preparing .Show me another event motivating to such a degree 

30 minutes ago, PappaWatTrap said:

Seeing that this is all Epic, I’m very curious to find out how do the Cape Epic attract people like Nino,

Does he get paid to take part and to make media posts? A few days leading up to the race he would make some Epic posts on instagram. I’m just curious on how the economics work around the athletes . 

I understand that this might not be the place but if anyone knows or has some insight please send me a DM. 

Scott pays his salary .They decide where there is the best exposure to their paid representative .Probably gets a bonus for winning  

Tomorrow will be the day where the mechanics decide who will win and who will lose chunks of time.

The decent on Groenlandberg will be very interesting with all the mud and they will probably need a new set of brake pads at the bottom. Hope all the normal blokes rides with a spare set of pads in their tool poaches.

5 minutes ago, dev null said:

Tomorrow will be the day where the mechanics decide who will win and who will lose chunks of time.

The decent on Groenlandberg will be very interesting with all the mud and they will probably need a new set of brake pads at the bottom. Hope all the normal blokes rides with a spare set of pads in their tool poaches.

Groenland berg won't be muddy. the surface is sandy and there are lots of drainage ruts.It will be more solid with some large puddles but nothing these guys can't handle. The bigger issue is going to be the added surface drag on the climbs. Weakening legs will feel it early on

2 hours ago, PappaWatTrap said:

He does it for the extra followers each year on the 'gram

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Groenland berg won't be muddy. the surface is sandy and there are lots of drainage ruts.It will be more solid with some large puddles but nothing these guys can't handle. The bigger issue is going to be the added surface drag on the climbs. Weakening legs will feel it early on

Yeah this area actually drains very well. I def don't see the exaggerated brakes situation.

That descend will only bring back 1 memory...

https://youtu.be/21kw4oyeATA