Really, No Epic 2023 Thread?

BMCfan

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

On another note, TA91 and Scott SRAM have not had any punctures in this race?

I haven’t noticed any so they have clearly improved in these areas. Also no technical issues 

Maxxis redesigned/reinforced their tyres obviously had a bit of loss in sales after last year's Epic. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Some 4x4s. 😎

image.png.323f3d1daa1f6f5ed89e413705151575.png

Imagine parking this at the local Spar in Stellies and coming back out to empty racks all around. The locals would not waste time seeing their ship arrive.

1 hour ago, J Wakefield said:

If you don't want those conditions by the time you arrive, ride faster before. 

Little like "I want to ride the most "hardcore" event in the world and be called a real mountain biker with possible epic tattoo but only with certain T&C's"

Even if I can run faster the Lion would still have his dinner.

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

And the helicopter can’t get there in this weather so good call to trim those areas out. Everything today was reachable by 4x4

Not even, limited access in a number of areas. Which would restrict ambos even more, the one ER24 ambo did well to get where it did. 
I think what a few people miss when being critical is that there has to be consideration for everyone involved, not just the amateurs.
Even Dakar has had to make decisions that people may consider going against marketing. 

2 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Maxxis redesigned/reinforced their tyres obviously had a bit of loss in sales after last year's Epic. 

Custom Aspens for the team this year, reinforced sidewalls and a change in rubber/casing thickness while keeping the same tread pattern and profile. Not clear how far this will go along the prototyping phase into production. 

8 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Custom Aspens for the team this year, reinforced sidewalls and a change in rubber/casing thickness while keeping the same tread pattern and profile. Not clear how far this will go along the prototyping phase into production. 

I don't think it's something we will see in the shops. The special Aspen race or what ever they call it has even a different tread pattern. I know it's the same pattern as last year they just reinforced and changed the compounds. I think the name isn't even printed on it written on so must have been a rush to get it ready for Epic and testing. 

3 hours ago, dev null said:

There is a difference between tough and unnecessarily dangerous. Have you ever ridden a descending Single Track at the end of the field in such conditions? I did and I can tell you they are not rideable for the majority of riders. The mud is too soft and deep by the time you get there that any time you just think of touching the brakes your wheels lock up and you slide uncontrollably.

That's me in every race where it rains.  Can't ride it, can't walk it. So you slide down it keeping your feet together so you don't make yourself a eunuch on rocks under the mud. I can tell you the bottom bracket doesn't like this treatment much.

Putting the ring in bearing.

30 minutes ago, Carmichael said:

Anyone know is they extended cut off also today? See alot of guys not making the 7:15 cut off

Aparently extended to 8.00.

Still MANY that did not make the extended cut off.

5 minutes ago, Carmichael said:

Jip i see 2 of my mates missed it by 2 mins

Physio friend's clients came in at 7:16.

Must have been a happy moment to hear they can ride tomorrow

47 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I don't think it's something we will see in the shops. The special Aspen race or what ever they call it has even a different tread pattern. I know it's the same pattern as last year they just reinforced and changed the compounds. I think the name isn't even printed on it written on so must have been a rush to get it ready for Epic and testing. 

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 16.59.36.png

Anybody have the number of competitors that completed each day ?

Seems like 525 teams completed today ....