SRAM announce hangerless Eagle Transmission drivetrains

News bot

4 minutes ago, Hairy said:

As a rider who has dabbled in the dark arts of single speeding ... the "magic gear" does exist! 

In the realm of SS, I am more than familiar with the magic gear... thus the reason for my questioning of their "magic gear" and the right to call it such.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Hairy said:

The same way people moved over to new frames when the shift from V-Brakes to Disc Brakes happened.

There are enough battery operated options available to riders on standard frames, and there will still be for some time ... you may even find that the pricing gets a little better in the near future.

Run what you have till it breaks, and then look to see what is available on the market.

Getting upset because innovation requires change = we may well still just be rolling on fully rigid bikes with K@K@ brakes and components.

Good points, but things like disk brakes arrived when the bike industry wasn't trying so hard to rip consumers a new one so a frame upgrade was probably not a mortgage altering affair. I don't have an issue with improved performance - which this design (excluding the silly electronic shift assist) seems to provide. It also looks good.  I do have an issue with overpriced bling that is basically unaffordable to most people being shoved done my throat on every YT channel as if its the equivalent  of intelligent life being found on Uranus. 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Good points, but things like disk brakes arrived when the bike industry wasn't trying so hard to rip consumers a new one so a frame upgrade was probably not a mortgage altering affair. I don't have an issue with improved performance - which this design (excluding the silly electronic shift assist) seems to provide. It also looks good.  I do have an issue with overpriced bling that is basically unaffordable to most people being shoved done my throat on every YT channel as if its the equivalent  of intelligent life being found on Uranus. 🙂 

I agree that cycling is seen as a premium luxury sport that has seriously become stupidly expensive in my person view. This I have voiced before on BH ... small things like the price of chains or even just a good old fashioned tube are stoooopid.

But back in the day when I worked in an LBS I recall my first decent MTB was pretty much three full paychecks for me (Granted the pay was K@K@). The sport still felt like it was accessible financially.

Someone who was in the Windsurfing scene before it took off and then at it's hay day noted that he was seeing cycling following a similar trend where it get's to the point of being just too expensive, and then the industry collapses on itself. I do hope this never happens.

13 minutes ago, Hairy said:

ISomeone who was in the Windsurfing scene before it took off and then at it's hay day noted that he was seeing cycling following a similar trend where it get's to the point of being just too expensive, and then the industry collapses on itself. I do hope this never happens.

There are a few reasons I dont think that the industry will totally collapse

a) Unlike Windsurfing, cycling is a form of transport, so even if the recreation side goes to S#!t , the transport side will still be ticking over. So we may not get the marginal gains innovations but the basics will still be there

b) Golf has not collapsed. Despite the entire cycling in the new golf thing, golf is still very much a multi billion $ industry with those little sticks still costing stupid money

c) Cycling is alot more accessible than windsurfing in that windsurfing requires a body of water, cycling can be done on or off road straight from your front door.

So we may see a bubble burst, but I doubt there will be a collapse.

With all the bleating about pricing and new standards, there's one thing I'm not understanding.

If you're looking to spend R 30k on a top tier electronic derailleur, you're probably already riding something that's up to date enough to have a UDH. If you're wanting to put an XX1 AXS RD onto a 10 year old MTB frame you may be approaching the "problem" from the wrong angle - you'll get far better bang for your buck elsewhere on the bike. Suspension, wheels, or a frame with more up-to-date geo will make a far bigger difference than the latest and greatest rear mech, no matter what the salesman at the local bike supermarket will tell you.

If you want a new drivetrain on your old frame, buy something else. Don't hate on new stuff just cos it won't work for you - let's face it, you were never going to buy it anyway. And the guys who made it know that.

/rant

1 hour ago, droo said:

With all the bleating about pricing and new standards, there's one thing I'm not understanding.

If you're looking to spend R 30k on a top tier electronic derailleur, you're probably already riding something that's up to date enough to have a UDH. If you're wanting to put an XX1 AXS RD onto a 10 year old MTB frame you may be approaching the "problem" from the wrong angle - you'll get far better bang for your buck elsewhere on the bike. Suspension, wheels, or a frame with more up-to-date geo will make a far bigger difference than the latest and greatest rear mech, no matter what the salesman at the local bike supermarket will tell you.

If you want a new drivetrain on your old frame, buy something else. Don't hate on new stuff just cos it won't work for you - let's face it, you were never going to buy it anyway. And the guys who made it know that.

/rant

So what I hear you say is just buy a whole new bike already fitted with the new AXS?

49 minutes ago, Scott roy said:

I think most won’t easily hit their rd this hard ever unless something goes tragically wrong

@Headshot recons he is rather fast for an old guy on his steel HT ........ but yes, not really "fast" enough

22 minutes ago, Rudi Pollard said:

So what I hear you say is just buy a whole new bike already fitted with the new AXS?

Or not.

Just do not buy the new bike for the new drivetrain.

Ride what you have and be happy, or if you want a little zziinngg in your life, add one of the current electrical drivetrains, that by all accounts are still fooking good to use in any event.

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

Or not.

Just do not buy the new bike for the new drivetrain.

Ride what you have and be happy, or if you want a little zziinngg in your life, add one of the current electrical drivetrains, that by all accounts are still fooking good to use in any event.

Nobody needs your sensible input. Especially not on a Friday.

Pitchforks are what we need here.

Eventually even Second Hand Bikes will have It.

Well If you wait Long Enough.

Some Dick always buys an Expensive Bike, Goes for 2 Rides and then Hangs it in his Garage for 5 years only to sell it cheaply in a hurry for money to go on holiday.

12 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

Eventually even Second Hand Bikes will have It.

Well If you wait Long Enough.

Some Dick always buys an Expensive Bike, Goes for 2 Rides and then Hangs it in his Garage for 5 years only to sell it cheaply in a hurry for money to go on holiday.

Dick,….Dick can you confirm you always buy an expensive bike and have given up your cheap skate ways..? Dick,…Dick are you there

Edited by DieselnDust

20 minutes ago, droo said:

Nobody needs your sensible input. Especially not on a Friday.

Pitchforks are what we need here.

Yes boss!

image.jpeg.2089d4cd4baf8f6690746e59c977954d.jpeg

The most impressive bit about this clip is that the Specialized frame did not crack or explode into a million carbon fragments!

image.png.35e7ecd78753dffad1efcad1c06443cb.png