Is the 2nd hand market dead?

Jacko18

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

guess it depends on what you value your own time. there was a guy on this thread (or another) who was going on about how he had saved so much money on his cycling hobby as he spends hours looking for bargains. He didn't realise what he was writing.

To me, it isn't a problem because browsing bikehub between/during classes for a minute or 2 at a time doesn't cost me anything.

If I was working while doing it, I could understand how it may be an issue. Then again, if you work for someone else, and you manage to get your work done and still be able to scour the classifieds, then good on you. 

I guess in my specific scenario, I almost essentially got paid for the time I spent scouring, because I saved a lot of money. 

On a sidenote, how do all you guys with jobs manage to be so active in the forum and actually get anything done at work haha

26 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

what do you guys think this cost 18 years ago? Top of the range bike was ~R8-10k, so I'm guessing R2k for the fork? has held value very well!

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/mountain-bike-forks/646658/fox-rl-fork-26er-100mm-travel-qr

On the flip side .... when you have a decent 26" bike .... but a shock that cant lockout any more, and no more spares for it .....  18 months back I would have grabbed up this shock.  Now I will rather put that money towards Maritz's next bike build ....

For the right person this is a "bargain"

19 hours ago, babse said:

Not really...

High end frame slapped together with average components. Overpriced.

Yeah, should be Roval carbon wheels and XTR or XX1 to be an S WRX level build. Stans alloy rims on that bike is almost a travesty 🙂 

I would argue the ad is misleading  - that is not an S Works bike because it has some writing on the frame. Should be marketed as S Works frame plus non S Works build kit.

Edited by Headshot

• 6 months later...

Is it just me, or has the news about the bike market's downturn not quite reached South Africans? On the bright side, for us consumers, it's a buyer's market for new bikes and more. While I doubt we'll see any "specials" or price drops at our local shops or online stores anytime soon, the asking prices for second-hand bikes on the hub are nothing short of a joke.

Sure, you can set your asking price high and hope for the best. Perhaps some well-intentioned individual will transfer the money, allowing Frikkie to bask in the coolness of an overpriced second-hand bike for just one season...

Regrettably, we must face the reality that the depreciation of bicycles, especially e-bikes, is something we have to come to terms with. 

No matter how hard YouTube influencers try to convince us the bike market is on the edge of collapsing and that new bikes will be cheaper , I saw nothing up to date. To think it will happen locally is a pipe dream. Also not happening in first world countries as far as I can tell.

It's all a conspiracy...:whistling:

15 minutes ago, Mongoose! said:

No matter how hard YouTube influencers try to convince us the bike market is on the edge of collapsing and that new bikes will be cheaper , I saw nothing up to date. To think it will happen locally is a pipe dream. Also not happening in first world countries as far as I can tell.

It's all a conspiracy...:whistling:

I’ve seen a few prices drop on the older bikes. During lockdown people where asking R6000 and R7000 rand for bikes that should be about R3000. You can actually get decent used bikes now for R10k and less, especially 29er mtbs. I recently bought a mint condition 2018 Scott scale 950 from a local bikeshop for that price. 

However I do agree that the YT influencers are exaggerating. 

1 minute ago, KatjieStewels said:

I’ve seen a few prices drop on the older bikes. During lockdown people where asking R6000 and R7000 rand for bikes that should be about R3000. You can actually get decent used bikes now for R10k and less, especially 29er mtbs. I recently bought a mint condition 2018 Scott scale 950 from a local bikeshop for that price. 

However I do agree that the YT influencers are exaggerating. 

I agree with you on the secondhand part. 

My previous post relates mainly to the new bike market.

Its all a scam ...😜

Where are you looking ?

Edit - for new bikes.  New bike sales, and reduced prices will spill over to the secondhand market ....

Or rather ... what bikes are you looking at ?

Certainly a lot of specials at various shops.  Admittedly, mostly on 2022 stock .... which is exactly what the influencers are talking about. .... "Stock is not moving"

Friend just got more than 30% discount on a new Merida ....

Let's see in a few months when the 2023 stock becomes an issue ... 

Doubt this is much of an issue on the top range bikes ....

Edited by ChrisF

1 hour ago, Mohs said:

Is it just me, or has the news about the bike market's downturn not quite reached South Africans? On the bright side, for us consumers, it's a buyer's market for new bikes and more. While I doubt we'll see any "specials" or price drops at our local shops or online stores anytime soon, the asking prices for second-hand bikes on the hub are nothing short of a joke.

Sure, you can set your asking price high and hope for the best. Perhaps some well-intentioned individual will transfer the money, allowing Frikkie to bask in the coolness of an overpriced second-hand bike for just one season...

Regrettably, we must face the reality that the depreciation of bicycles, especially e-bikes, is something we have to come to terms with. 

Here's a good deal.

Specialized Epic CARBON Comp | Dual Suspension Mountain Bikes | Bike Hub

Replying to: Is the Second Hand market dead.

Certainly not. It's just struggling coz prices rocketed, with little stock around due to the repercussions of the COVID lockdown.

Due to the downturn in the economy (SA's weak economy and worldwide shortages due to the war/s etc.) there's not so much money available for extravagant purchases and folks are more inclined to put money away for a rainy day.

However, bargains are still to be gained for the sharp-eyed, quick witted purchaser on Bike-Hub. Unfortunately there can only be one purchaser of a single item so first come (first served) - is the winner. 

I've made two great purchases this week, so yes, the second hand market isn't dead.

So when high priced items aren't selling, they will come down in price. It is often how urgently the seller needs the money will determine how low he is willing to go on price.

Happy hunting!

I think that the bubble has burst and that the shortages we experienced were due to extended COVID catchup and the war in Ukraine to an extent, yet many in the market tried to say shortages were due to high demand. I'm not buying that and I don't think the local market as in bike shops has cottoned on.

I'd hate to be a bike shop trying to sell bikes right now to pay the rent......Add to that the fact that Cyclelab who have deep pockets seem to want to distribute most of the brands makes it even harder......

There WAS a strong demand for bikes and bike parts after the COVID lockdowns were implemented. With people being locked in there was a need for exercise and there was a run on indoor trainers then a run on bikes, as public transport was no longer available. Bike parts were also in high demand as people were getting their old bikes out of the garage and getting them roadworthy again (worldwide).

I think that we all know these facts and when I approached my local bike shop he complained of not being able to get stock during this period. It appeared that the European market got first dibs when stock became available. Prices increased due to lack of supply when they did become available in SA.

This led to the unusually high prices being asked for second hand bikes.

Due to that massive run on bikes, trainers and bike parts there has been a general lull (after COVID) in the almost saturated market but there are always new entrants to this sport so bike shops won't stop the marketing to these newbies.

Its definitely not dead , but people don't have money 

I get ridiculous amounts of inquiries on my items but people want half off on a item that's already stupidly low