Looking for affordable robust gravel bike

MG22

9 minutes ago, Roul said:

Would also look at just upgrading as need... But to the OP, if you won't be worse off (unless your on the sharp pointy end) with alu, consider second hand.

However if you take the carbon Titan, ensure you leave some room for upgrades, handlebars (buy second hand), tubeless conversion (don't know if the bike comes with tubeless tyres, if not, will set you back R1,800 cheapest for the set) and a good seat (if you don't have one already).

Don't most bike shops offer a 'free' tubeless conversion when buying a new bike from them? That was the case when my girlfriend bought hers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Dappere said:

Don't most bike shops offer a 'free' tubeless conversion when buying a new bike from them? That was the case when my girlfriend bought hers.

They might, but not sure if the stock tyres are tubeless ready🤔

1 hour ago, Roul said:

image.png.521ee986d4b1595c0c0ec7344fd89a63.pngSeems like it...

That seems like a mix-up on their site. There is a Titan Racing Switch Comp and Titan Racing Switch Carbon Comp in our line-up. The one listed in the screenshot is the Alu version. Here is a link to the carbon version on their site:

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/titan-switch-carbon-comp-2023

The alu frame comes with a carbon fork and the tires are tubeless-ready. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuMyA4aKaUW/

I've owned a Titan Switch Pro Carbon and a couple of Rook Scouts (as well as other gravel-ish bikes).

Gravel is like Autism, it's a spectrum (and, interestingly, also totally not caused by vaccination...).

The Switch is more on the road side of the spectrum. Slightly more aggressive geometry, narrower and slicker tyres, and is a very flickable, agile bike to ride.

The Scout is more on the MTB side of the spectrum. Bit burlier construction, more relaxed geometry that's a little more confidence inspiring off road, and being steel and having sliding dropouts makes it a bit more versatile. 

Both are oodles of fun, and I've smashed both on road, gravel and proper MTB rides.

On 7/4/2023 at 7:29 AM, MG22 said:

I am looking for a gravel bike that is robust. Which brand would you recommend: titan switch, ride Farr, rook scout, Scott speedster, Momsen gp300 etc ? Are the local brands any good ? My budget 25k

In this sphere, look at second hand. You will really find bang for buck! 

The bikes you listed are pretty broad in range, ideally the Titan Switch will give you the best balance of a decent carbon frame, tyre clearance and spec, plus there are few around in the market. In the same vein keep an eye out for the Silverback equivalent, not as many floating around though. Same if you just happen to find a carbon framed Ride Farr/Momsen at a deal.
GP300 is robust and handles well, but it is burly by comparison and not quite as well finished off compared to a Rook Scout, Ride Farr or Scott Speedster. The Speedster doesn't quite have the tyre clearance past 38/40c which for me is a limiting factor. Especially if you're looking for something "robust" which would imply that you're looking to do a fair bit of offroad and/or bikepacking. 

As far as local brands go, generally, they're as good as anything else out there and no different ito of quality or sourcing compared to say a Scott. Within a certain bracket ALL the brands use white label product from a catalogue to a large extent, a few brands will purchase the jigs or moulds outright or with exclusive licencing/spec value. 

I bought a GP300 of the Hub a few years back. One of the best bikes I've ever owned. Changed the saddle, did the tubeless conversion and now have the most brilliant road trip and holiday bike. Granted, I'm not a single-track rider, but done a number of Karoo trips where the bike has been just lekker. Best 10k I've ever spent on a bike...

Thank you so much for the info especially the point re that it is a spectrum (between road bike and Mtb). I am looking for something that can take slightly wider tyres for rough tar roads and dirt roads. Now that you have pointed me in the right direction I will surely find the right option. I see that there is also a Ridley x trail (carbon) for sale on bikehub (at cycleworx) that may also be a good option (at R25k) 

@Titan Racing Bikes While we're on the topic, can you clarify the tyre clearance on the latest Switch models? I know the site says 700x50mm, just not sure if that's a 50mm tyre, or 50mm of space for tyres?

Also, I know the seattube sticker states 650B x 2.1 would fit. Has this been tested as I'd be interested in running it in that config (I'm assuming the Aluminium and Carbon versions are the same).

The sad thing is it's *** ugly. I could handle the lilac frame on its own, but the lilac + kashima + golden chainring + lime green accents on the wheels + uncut steerer is just plain gross. It being a Santa Cruz I'm quite sure some early retiree in St Francis is going to ask his golfing buddies what the cycling equivalent to his X6M is, and he'll end up buying it. 

Queue the "if it has suspension you might as well buy a hardtail" comments.

Edited by TyronLab

Just a self promoting shout, I have a super decent deal going on my CaadX if you’re after something second hand and we’ll within your budget. XL / 58cm. 

IMG_9616.jpeg

3 hours ago, TyronLab said:

The sad thing is it's *** ugly. I could handle the lilac frame on its own, but the lilac + kashima + golden chainring + lime green accents on the wheels + uncut steerer is just plain gross. It being a Santa Cruz I'm quite sure some early retiree in St Francis is going to ask his golfing buddies what the cycling equivalent to his X6M is, and he'll end up buying it. 

Queue the "if it has suspension you might as well buy a hardtail" comments.

Please come visit me in St Francis. You can drive my X6M down from Sandton 😂

IMG_0197.jpeg.e2628b10c66d22306ca3347a88d3c10e.jpeg

Edited by thebob

11 hours ago, thebob said:

Please come visit me in St Francis. You can drive my X6M down from Sandton 😂

IMG_0197.jpeg.e2628b10c66d22306ca3347a88d3c10e.jpeg

Shots fired!!