Good bike brands for a beginner at a reasonable price point

Onik Dovahkiin

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to bicycles but I'm super keen in getting one for camping. I'm only familiar with the super market brands like Raleigh but I want to get something decent at least.

My budget is R5000, I just need to know where to search for a good brand new bike that's easy to maintain. I'll upgrade in the future tho. 

Also, is solomoncycles any good to buy from and is Avalanche bike any decent? I found this one going for R3999, see below link.

https://solomonscycles.co.za/products/avalanche-reflex-3-29/?attribute_size=Large&utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=Google Merch &utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=73651

I need a bike with a good frame to add stem, back rail and frame bags. I'm also a tall muscular dude (190cm and 115kg), so I fear something buckling under my weight and the extra added camping gear. 

Much obliged for the future assistance 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to budget much more for all that Weight.

Go into the  Bike Shop for Advice on a Touring Bike.

Edited by dasilvarsa

Brands that do entry level bikes I would suggest would be Titan, Silverback and Giant. If you're just looking at something to ride around the camp site I don't think your weight would be an issue. If you are looking at getting a bike to tour with that's different ball game. There's a couple of people on here who do and would be able to give you a good idea idea of what you are going to need. 

On 7/22/2023 at 9:35 PM, Me rida my bicycle said:

Brands that do entry level bikes I would suggest would be Titan, Silverback and Giant. If you're just looking at something to ride around the camp site I don't think your weight would be an issue. If you are looking at getting a bike to tour with that's different ball game. There's a couple of people on here who do and would be able to give you a good idea idea of what you are going to need. 

Much appreciated. I'll look into these brands. I'm not going to do any touring, just something light camping around my town with some friends.

Actually a Titan Rogue Cruz for 10k is on my top list atm, looks like a solid bike to start off with.

Any suggestions on good trustworthy sites to browse for bike accessories and bags? I'm struggling to find fork bags and stem bags.

You'll need a good trail helmet too. Not the cheapie lids you get for R800 a pop. 

When you're having an extended dirt nap because you decided to Liverpool kiss a tree, you'll quickly forget the brand of entry level bike you were recently sitting on

The wheels will have a weight limit and because you mentioned that you're a muscular dude, my suggestion will be to get a decent 26er with loads of travel and decent wheels. 

44 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

The wheels will have a weight limit and because you mentioned that you're a muscular dude, my suggestion will be to get a decent 26er with loads of travel and decent wheels. 

Merida Big Nine Bikes are Rated at 135 KG out the Box.

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 15-49-57 BIG.NINE 400 - MERIDA BIKES.png

Edited by dasilvarsa

1 minute ago, dasilvarsa said:

Merida Big Nines are Rated at 135 KG

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 15-49-57 BIG.NINE 400 - MERIDA BIKES.png

Trek is 136

That's bike limit , and generally this includes the bike itself.

Wheels could and likely are lower 

3 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Trek is 136

That's bike limit , and generally this includes the bike itself.

Wheels could and likely are lower 

135Kg -15Kg (Bike) = 120Kg (Still Very Good)

I Agree, Trek is Also a Premium Bike.

Edited by dasilvarsa

The big nine 60 @ 12k has a rider limit of 100kg  a TFS iii that will do 135kg is around 18k so seems you will pay for the extra weight capabilities. 

Edited by Barry

2 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I hear you guys, what's the price range of said bikes :unsure:

About 20K

You Got to Pay Extra for Quality Products Like Merida or Trek that can handle the Weight but you don't have to do a Wheel Upgrade Straight Away.  I Know Some 120Kg Guys Riding Merida Big Nine and Merida 120 MTB's   (No Problem).

Edited by dasilvarsa

5 hours ago, 117 said:

You'll need a good trail helmet too. Not the cheapie lids you get for R800 a pop.

Any good suggestions and sites to buy from? I increased my bike budget to 10k btw, I think I'll start with a Titan.

I'm not going to do anything extreme off road wise, but I'm aware of little fist sized rocks that must be treated like landmines. Heck, even going for a hike you could die and fall lol.

6 hours ago, Onik Dovahkiin said:

Much appreciated. I'll look into these brands. I'm not going to do any touring, just something light camping around my town with some friends.

Actually a Titan Rogue Cruz for 10k is on my top list atm, looks like a solid bike to start off with.

Any suggestions on good trustworthy sites to browse for bike accessories and bags? I'm struggling to find fork bags and stem bags.

Ok so going on this, mostly open roads/paths not so gnarly rocky trails? 
As far as camping goes, overnight rides upto two three days? 

If this is what you’re looking at, most entry level hardtails will be sufficient. Really depends on the style/terrain you expect to be riding. 
Given your size, key areas to keep an eye on would be the fork (I’d recommend a coil fork) and wheels, even a basic wheel can be good enough if properly built and run with larger tyres.

Helmet, nothing wrong with an R800- R1000 lid, plenty good options around. Decathlon do some decent trail helmets that are well priced.

As far as frame weight limits go, don’t get too caught up in that. Practically all brands have a similar ‘rating’ since the factories have to have an ISO standard to work within. So, partly marketing.

Edited by Danger Dassie
Spelling

17 minutes ago, Onik Dovahkiin said:

Any good suggestions and sites to buy from? I increased my bike budget to 10k btw, I think I'll start with a Titan.

I'm not going to do anything extreme off road wise, but I'm aware of little fist sized rocks that must be treated like landmines. Heck, even going for a hike you could die and fall lol.

Please dont buy online.

Head shapes differ ... some helmets fits, others dont.

I am a fan of the M.I.P.S. technology.

2 hours ago, Onik Dovahkiin said:

Titan would be a good first bike they are usually best bang for your buck 👌🏻