• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Finally! now we can start moving back to summer again. lekker man!

There's a lag of about a month or so, peak winter is probably still coming.

5 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Winter solstice ride. 

45 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Finally! now we can start moving back to summer again. lekker man!

11 minutes ago, MrJacques said:

Following this conversation reminds me of this meme.

image.jpeg.cf764021f66546120b2c770b86b97ca5.jpeg

So I cant find the thread or the post, but a short while back I said I was going to try Nitrile gloves OVER my normal winter gloves.

Tried that today. It does not work, with the added draw back of your hands now being wet because the moisture wicking normal gloves rely on the wind to evaporate the sweat from them, but now they're covered in nitrile and the sweat has nowhere to go.

45 minutes ago, MrJacques said:

Trust me. Here in the Cape we've been getting bliksemed with rain over the course of the last month. I am of the opinion that winter is here. If not, then hou vas jou matras, want HKGK.

21 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

and the sweat has nowhere to go.

give it a month or so. Those gloves of yours will smell like a ripe poo if you don't kill the bacteria left behind by all that sweat. Washing them helps nothing. I have a pair that I have retired now due to that dreaded pong. 

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

So I cant find the thread or the post, but a short while back I said I was going to try Nitrile gloves OVER my normal winter gloves.

Tried that today. It does not work, with the added draw back of your hands now being wet because the moisture wicking normal gloves rely on the wind to evaporate the sweat from them, but now they're covered in nitrile and the sweat has nowhere to go.

In truly cold weather, use the surgical gloves directly on your skin.  Then the cycling gloves over it.

As soon as it starts to heat up your hands will start sweating !!!!  Surgical gloves into your back pocket and the ride carries on normally.

I did this again last week at Trans Augrabies .... only for the first two days, as it was unseasonally hot at Augrabies.  7 Degree starts, as apposed to the previous 4 degree starts.

8 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

In truly cold weather, use the surgical gloves directly on your skin.  Then the cycling gloves over it.

As soon as it starts to heat up your hands will start sweating !!!!  Surgical gloves into your back pocket and the ride carries on normally.

I did this again last week at Trans Augrabies .... only for the first two days, as it was unseasonally hot at Augrabies.  7 Degree starts, as apposed to the previous 4 degree starts.

no i've done the surgical gloves direct on the skin. Even in sub 5 deg weather your hands come out soaking wet.

7 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

no i've done the surgical gloves direct on the skin. Even in sub 5 deg weather your hands come out soaking wet.

True that .... :P

I only use it for a SHORT period.  Almost easier to just suffer through the initial cold if it is not a seriously cold ride.

But when you do Swartberg pass with bits of snow on the peaks .... then that bit of sweat is a non-issue.

I think the issue in SA that we dont have truly cold weather, well not for much longer than the early part of the ride.  So we dont really have proper cold weather gear .... and if you brought in from Europe, how long could you wear this on our rides that start at 4 degrees and quickly reaches double digits?

42 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

True that .... :P

I only use it for a SHORT period.  Almost easier to just suffer through the initial cold if it is not a seriously cold ride.

But when you do Swartberg pass with bits of snow on the peaks .... then that bit of sweat is a non-issue.

I think the issue in SA that we dont have truly cold weather, well not for much longer than the early part of the ride.  So we dont really have proper cold weather gear .... and if you brought in from Europe, how long could you wear this on our rides that start at 4 degrees and quickly reaches double digits?

The thing is, my early morning rides can drop to 0 in some places and max out at 4 deg, so some proper gloves would help.

Many of us (the group I ride with) use a normal riding glove with thermally insulated gloves over the normal gloves.

Early morning rides probably doesn’t require normal riding gloves, but longer weekend rides it can get up to double digits. Being able to strip off the thermals helps.

I think it’s 16 winters and counting, and has hardly ever been a problem.

RULE 9: If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period. Fair weather fighting is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather - be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot - are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across the face. This is a rider who loves the work. 💋

IMG_1375.jpeg