• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

Left Jhb at 5 on Monday morning, cycled Tugela on Monday, Karkloof on Tuesday, Howick today and even made a beer run down to Rawdons last night so as not to drink 'n drive. Back in the city now but what an awesome 3 day bunk from work :).

Left Jhb at 5 on Monday morning, cycled Tugela on Monday, Karkloof on Tuesday, Howick today and even made a beer run down to Rawdons last night so as not to drink 'n drive. Back in the city now but what an awesome 3 day bunk from work :).

Pics ? ???

It's not as pretty as where you guys have been, but my bike took me to Botswana.... It's gotta count for something if you leave the country on your bike

post-44163-0-86739200-1374645844_thumb.jpg

post-44163-0-40004100-1374645857_thumb.jpg

post-44163-0-33382500-1374645870_thumb.jpg

post-44163-0-65687700-1374645880_thumb.jpg

post-44163-0-45958500-1374645891_thumb.jpg

I see from the last pic that you left late .... :whistling:

I see from the last pic that you left late .... :whistling:

Ya my lil trip didn't go exactly as planned. On the map, its 120km with about 60 on a dirt road and 60 on tar, so I figured 7 or 8 hours should be plenty of time. I only managed to leave at 10AM, but I told myself it would be okay. Turned out the 30km of dirt road on the way to the border post was mostly covered by super thick loose sand that made it almost impossible to ride, so it took me a bit longer than I planned to get there. To avoid the sucky dirt road on the way back I took a longer route home that was all on tar, but added about 20km to the trip. The dirt road had done it's damage though and i was properly buggered when I left the border, so the 80km home was a nightmare. Ended up doing the last 30km in the dark with no lights at all, no warm kit and no reflectors. Was super dodge. Every time a car came I just missioned off into the bushes next to the road to avoid being hit. That was without doubt the scariest thing I've ever done on a bike. But.... I cycled to Botswana, and that's all that counts :)

Ya my lil trip didn't go exactly as planned. On the map, its 120km with about 60 on a dirt road and 60 on tar, so I figured 7 or 8 hours should be plenty of time. I only managed to leave at 10AM, but I told myself it would be okay. Turned out the 30km of dirt road on the way to the border post was mostly covered by super thick loose sand that made it almost impossible to ride, so it took me a bit longer than I planned to get there. To avoid the sucky dirt road on the way back I took a longer route home that was all on tar, but added about 20km to the trip. The dirt road had done it's damage though and i was properly buggered when I left the border, so the 80km home was a nightmare. Ended up doing the last 30km in the dark with no lights at all, no warm kit and no reflectors. Was super dodge. Every time a car came I just missioned off into the bushes next to the road to avoid being hit. That was without doubt the scariest thing I've ever done on a bike. But.... I cycled to Botswana, and that's all that counts :)

People who knows me well will know I always ride with a backpack ( I've got two , small & big ) ; to be prepared for almost everything .

Little trip to Namibia - I took the bike along and rode in to the Brandberg on my morning ride. There is a lot of really good riding in that desert.post-2565-0-98099100-1374996604_thumb.jpg

stunning bike and location!

My backyard, Tokai Forest, after a few weeks of absence, as beautiful as ever.

Excellent pic