• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

Def more gravel bikes in the Cradle lately. You 2 y'day (?), a Slate and a Spez (Diverge, I think?), and me on Sunday! But I did get a stare or two too!

Yeah I saw another guy with a smart looking steel (?) bike and flared bars as well. No idea what it was, but it looked awesome. The only other person to greet me the entire day  :whistling:

What do you ride Fat Boab?

Yeah I saw another guy with a smart looking steel (?) bike and flared bars as well. No idea what it was, but it looked awesome. The only other person to greet me the entire day  :whistling:

What do you ride Fat Boab?

Just finished this stage of the project, cos he's about to become a commuter bike. Wider gravel tyres, current are 32mm touring tyres, with possibly a wheel change still required for gravel duty, some drive train stuff still to do, and sort out those horrendous bars......but meet The-Ex aka Malcolm! (I left my phone at home so couldn't get a Cradle shot, but I live within 2 km of the Cradle so it's close enough!). Sunday was his first time out in current guise, and he enjoyed the amble!

post-77414-0-26430300-1506411555_thumb.jpg

Our bikes with the help of Detour Trails, and CMH Nissan Pinetown took us to Lesotho ...

.... The wife descending over 700m into the Senqu River valley on stage 10 of the Lesotho Mega Enduro

DEEEEEEETAAAAAIIIIILLLLSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Where is this?

Monte Grappa in Italy. The mountain rises 1500m from the valley. The last time the Giro had a stage finish there they had a timetrial from Semonzo. That route rises 1500m in 19km. A proper test for anyone.

We are staying in Bassano del Grappa which is at the foot of the mountain. It's about 70km north of Venice. The Giro has been over there a few times and I watched a Col Collective vid that was the inspiration. There are 11 paved routes to the top of the mountain.

The selection process for the venue was simple.

1. Easy access from a major airport (rental cars kill your budget)

2. Not France

3. A Grand tour must have gone through there recently

4. Interesting history

5. NOT touristy

My fiance said we aren't allowed to go to Morzine 2 years in a row so this is the spot.

p.s. I've already booked for Morzine for 2018. Hehe.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Monte Grappa in Italy. The mountain rises 1500m from the valley. The last time the Giro had a stage finish there they had a timetrial from Semonzo. That route rises 1500m in 19km. A proper test for anyone.

We are staying in Bassano del Grappa which is at the foot of the mountain. It's about 70km north of Venice. The Giro has been over there a few times and I watched a Col Collective vid that was the inspiration. There are 11 paved routes to the top of the mountain.

The selection process for the venue was simple.

1. Easy access from a major airport (rental cars kill your budget)

2. Not France

3. A Grand tour must have gone through there recently

4. Interesting history

5. NOT touristy

My fiance said we aren't allowed to go to Morzine 2 years in a row so this is the spot.

p.s. I've already booked for Morzine for 2018. Hehe.

I have added it to my cycling bucket list.  Looks very nice and not that far from me. Next summer is the summer where I am going into the big mountains.  Looking at the Dolomites and definetly the Innsbruck area as that is fairly close to me.

I have added it to my cycling bucket list.  Looks very nice and not that far from me. Next summer is the summer where I am going into the big mountains.  Looking at the Dolomites and definetly the Innsbruck area as that is fairly close to me.

NICE! I don't know much about that area. Keep us posted. There's something very special about riding your bike in the mountains in Europe.

Next year apart from Morzine we are planning a trip to Girona in Spain. It's where a large chunk of the Pro Tour riders base themselves and access is easy.

I'm looking at the dolomites in the future but the Alta Badia (Italy) area. Access would require renting a car tho which I'm very hesitant about after my expensive experience last year.

Who's up for the Megavalanche in 2018? 

What are the dates? There's a big crew of us that will be in Morz between 14 and 31 July. If you've not done a Euro trip before I'd suggest NOT racing your first time out there. The riding over there is another world compared to here and you'll likely end up in hospital if your first experience of the Alps is with a number zip tied to your bike.

Edit. I see the dates are 2-8 July. The weekend before that is the Passportes du Soleil race in the PDS. It covers most of the portes du soleil. It's about 80km long with about 7000m in vert. Probably a good warmup for Mega.

Edited by Duane_Bosch