Want to get started - Totally new

barnarp

Hi guys,

As the title suggests, I am brand new to the sport so please excuse any stupid questions. I want to start the sport and buy my first bike. My budget is around 7K max and I would like to use the bike on tar and off-road (trials). 

Questions:

1. I understand tubeless is the only way to go. Not sure about this, so asking here.

2. What accessories is crucial, ie. helmet / handpump / etc? (I see some people recommend Giro Mips)

3. Bike size. From reading the forums, I see for my height/weight (1.84 / 104kg) a Large would work, not sure about XL? I also assume to only look for 29"?

4. Bike Make. I read about Scott / Merida / Momsen / Silverback alot so assume these are all good choices? Also hear good things about Titan and Giant. I saw some bikes advertised which I think would be suitable:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/650427/giant-revel-29-xl

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/585495/scott-aspect-26er

Perhaps someone can recommend a listing or what to look out for? Perhaps there are basics which I didnt mention that is a deal-breaker / crucial?

Any help will be appreciated.

Pierre

26”ers would be hard to re-sell, since 29’ers are the new ‘standard’ (with exceptions), so despite myself owning a26er (and a 29”er) I think a 29er would BETTER suit you, AND offer better roll-over, etc. You are on the CUSP of XL, so do not rule out that size, without trying one, if in yr budget and suitable.

Cheers, Chris

2 hours ago, Zebra said:

26”ers would be hard to re-sell, since 29’ers are the new ‘standard’ (with exceptions), so despite myself owning a26er (and a 29”er) I think a 29er would BETTER suit you, AND offer better roll-over, etc. You are on the CUSP of XL, so do not rule out that size, without trying one, if in yr budget and suitable.

Cheers, Chris

Thanks alot Chris, appreciate the advise.

Pick a budget. Then keep 5k of that budget for helmet, gloves, bibs, bottles, socks, pump, plugs, etc. Shoes and spd pedals you can get later. Buy decent bibs to start with otherwise you'll buy cheap now and better quality all too soon.

Then go shop for the best bang for your buck. You're on the right track with your shopping, but know that you will at some stage upgrade to a dual suspension bike... 

If you buy new or 2nd hand from a dealer, 9/10 times they upcharge you to go tubeless. If you buy from a private seller, 9/10 its already tubeless... 

With the size and weight you mention you might want to try an xl frame just in case

Have a blast, its the most important thing. Know you wont win races on your first outing or even make the top of the climb, but persistence and training pays off

Oh, and greet roadies with enthusiasm when they come past, its the best thing ever 😉 

5 hours ago, barnarp said:

Hi guys,

As the title suggests, I am brand new to the sport so please excuse any stupid questions. I want to start the sport and buy my first bike. My budget is around 7K max and I would like to use the bike on tar and off-road (trials). 

Questions:

1. I understand tubeless is the only way to go. Not sure about this, so asking here.

2. What accessories is crucial, ie. helmet / handpump / etc? (I see some people recommend Giro Mips)

3. Bike size. From reading the forums, I see for my height/weight (1.84 / 104kg) a Large would work, not sure about XL? I also assume to only look for 29"?

4. Bike Make. I read about Scott / Merida / Momsen / Silverback alot so assume these are all good choices? Also hear good things about Titan and Giant. I saw some bikes advertised which I think would be suitable:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/650427/giant-revel-29-xl

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/585495/scott-aspect-26er

Perhaps someone can recommend a listing or what to look out for? Perhaps there are basics which I didnt mention that is a deal-breaker / crucial?

Any help will be appreciated.

Pierre

1) Yes, tubeless is a better option but you can use tubes with tire liners

2) No helmet no ride will greet you at every bike park. The mips are good yes and a good short / bib will work wonders for your butt 😁

3) XL. Yes you're literally on the line but at 104 you'll enjoy the extra bit of space the cockpit will offer on an XL 

4) Choose the bike you like looking at, everything else can be upgraded 

19 hours ago, 117 said:

Pick a budget. Then keep 5k of that budget for helmet, gloves, bibs, bottles, socks, pump, plugs, etc. Shoes and spd pedals you can get later. Buy decent bibs to start with otherwise you'll buy cheap now and better quality all too soon.

Then go shop for the best bang for your buck. You're on the right track with your shopping, but know that you will at some stage upgrade to a dual suspension bike... 

If you buy new or 2nd hand from a dealer, 9/10 times they upcharge you to go tubeless. If you buy from a private seller, 9/10 its already tubeless... 

With the size and weight you mention you might want to try an xl frame just in case

Have a blast, its the most important thing. Know you wont win races on your first outing or even make the top of the climb, but persistence and training pays off

Oh, and greet roadies with enthusiasm when they come past, its the best thing ever 😉 

Great! Thanks for taking the time to respond 117! I was also thinking XL might be a safer bet. Will be sure to greet everyone I see!

Lots of decent advice on choice of bike,

My suggestions

1. A lot of riding depends on who you are going to ride with. If you can find a buddy or a convenient cycling group they may have a big influence on what bike you choose to ride. If a cycling friend, then it helps to learn together and to motivate each other. If you're riding bikes of similar capability then you'll stay friends too. :)

2. If you like the sport you'll graduate from one bike to another. Over time you'll learn what you want in a bike, and you'll want to change things. e.g. start with a hardtail - there's a lot to learn, later on you might want to go to a full suspension bike, or lighter/faster, etc. A 26" bike is a cheap start, and perhaps a very good option in the sub R10k price range if you're riding on your own or with other 26ers. But If you're riding with a bunch of guys on 29ers you'll struggle.

3. You're probably an XL. go bigger for bike stability (this is good initially), go smaller for tighter, sharper handling.

On 7/29/2023 at 11:05 AM, barnarp said:

Snip

@barnarp, will you be keen on a build? I have two options I can throw in the ring to fit your needs and budget. Both frames are "new old stock" the Silverback was built for use on an indoor trainer and I did 23km on it when it was extremely muddy outside and the Mongoose came in a box and has stayed in the Wendy since I got it back in 2020, let's chat. 

20230618_115855.heic 20230618_114102.heic

17 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

@barnarp, will you be keen on a build? I have two options I can throw in the ring to fit your needs and budget. Both frames are "new old stock" the Silverback was built for use on an indoor trainer and I did 23km on it when it was extremely muddy outside and the Mongoose came in a box and has stayed in the Wendy since I got it back in 2020, let's chat. 

20230618_115855.heic 5.49 MB · 6 downloads 20230618_114102.heic 4.85 MB · 4 downloads

Hi Robert, thanks for this suggestion. Let me go through all the options and recommendations on here and I we can definitely chat.

23 hours ago, 100Tours said:

Lots of decent advice on choice of bike,

My suggestions

1. A lot of riding depends on who you are going to ride with. If you can find a buddy or a convenient cycling group they may have a big influence on what bike you choose to ride. If a cycling friend, then it helps to learn together and to motivate each other. If you're riding bikes of similar capability then you'll stay friends too. :)

2. If you like the sport you'll graduate from one bike to another. Over time you'll learn what you want in a bike, and you'll want to change things. e.g. start with a hardtail - there's a lot to learn, later on you might want to go to a full suspension bike, or lighter/faster, etc. A 26" bike is a cheap start, and perhaps a very good option in the sub R10k price range if you're riding on your own or with other 26ers. But If you're riding with a bunch of guys on 29ers you'll struggle.

3. You're probably an XL. go bigger for bike stability (this is good initially), go smaller for tighter, sharper handling.

Thanks for the advise! I also settled in my heart on the XL now.

11 hours ago, barnarp said:

Hi Robert, thanks for this suggestion. Let me go through all the options and recommendations on here and I we can definitely chat.

You van defenitief go with Robert. He knows his stuff. He built me a nice bike

23 hours ago, Theunissa said:

You van defenitief go with Robert. He knows his stuff. He built me a nice bike

Thanks!

Whatever you end up buying, you MUST get a helmet. Don't skimp on the helmet. It is THE one most Important bit of kit you need to have. Having had a few concussions, one serious, I will be the first one to advise you to get the best one you can afford. Concussions are no joke. 7 years since my big crash and I still have lingering after affects.

On 7/29/2023 at 11:05 AM, barnarp said:

Questions:

4. Bike Make. 

Welcome.  You're going to love the sport.  Have loads of adventures.

1. Tubeless for sure.  Less hassle, more riding.
  2. Helmet:  Get something that fits/comfortable.  Bibs:  Again something that fits- this will help save your ass.  Floor pump:  Good tyre pressure before every ride.  Repair kit for on the trails.  The rest will follow. 
  3. Go to a bike shop.  Measure.  Then decide.  Loads of online tools also that can help you make a call.  At 1.84 I'd guess a Large.
  4. Get a bike that you like.  The more you like it, the more likely you are that you'll ride more.  Strange how that works but it does.

Most importantly...........enjoy the experience.  Every ride.  Look around.  Stop for pics and coffee.    

9 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Whatever you end up buying, you MUST get a helmet. Don't skimp on the helmet. It is THE one most Important bit of kit you need to have. Having had a few concussions, one serious, I will be the first one to advise you to get the best one you can afford. Concussions are no joke. 7 years since my big crash and I still have lingering after affects.

Get Helmet Fitted at a bike Shop.

The Correct Fit is Just as Important as the Quality.

Robbie Stewart I Think you are a good candidate for Indoor Cycling 🙉🤣😂 I'm Sorry about the After Effects.