[Event] Attakwas Extreme

Dryland Events

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Stephan said:

Any life-saving tips from seasoned professionals for us newbies doing our first one?

So far my thinking is to ride at a moderate pace for the first 50km (where possible, I am told there are sections that are unridable), survive for the next 30km through the mountains, and once I get to the gravel roads at the bottom of Eight Bells, do whatever to hang on for the last 35km on gravel roads that I fortunately know quite well. 

Riding with two 500ml bottles, a 2L Camelback, and a stash of energy bars and gels.  

Ek hou vir jou n bier koud by die eindpunt. 

I have to be a fool as I keep on going back to my weather app to see if the weather has changed. And yes it did BUT THE WRONG DIRECTION. I am now a firm believer that if I stop going to look it will come down again. Not going to check it again I promise.

21 hours ago, Hilton. said:

Update: 40 degrees forecast now for Oudtshoorn:

image.png.5920a0ac93276ee824fd4f1a586ed4b0.png

Silver lining is that the Grootbrak side looks better, as long as the heat is not ridiculous when we start (like in 2022...) it should be ok

And at least we dont have to worry about mud and rain 😜

Edited by Skubarra

On 1/16/2024 at 12:36 PM, Carmichael said:

Cool down at any stream that u see , and cold water over your head at every chance you get.... Did it in 2022 when it was also high 40's...  It was not fun

2022 was the hottest since 2013. At the start was 27c and average was 37c with max of 46c, and that was before 10am when I bailed. First time I saw a traffic jam at WP1. 

This looks like 45+ degrees in the saddle with the additional heat of your endurance engine purring.

Whatever do you, take care of your well-being, athlete. No need for hero moves or badge of honour status. Your health is your wealth.

9 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

This looks like 45+ degrees in the saddle with the additional heat of your endurance engine purring.

Whatever do you, take care of your well-being, athlete. No need for hero moves or badge of honour status. Your health is your wealth.

Ross Tucker talks about the effects of heat on exercise. This podcast was recorded the week after the extreme heat Attakwas.

I have done many Attas.. Dont be afraid to jump in to all the water crossings. Saturday looks mean..The river before the Spur waterpoint is a must dip point.

I note that hydration packs are compulsory for this weekend's race.  Was that always the case, or just because of the expected heat?

24 minutes ago, Johan A Marais said:

I note that hydration packs are compulsory for this weekend's race.  Was that always the case, or just because of the expected heat?

Before this announcement I got some tips from some guy not to ride with a hydration pack.  All I need to do is full to my bottles at every water point.

I said there is no way in Hell I'll would ride without one.

1 hour ago, Johan A Marais said:

Good idea to ride with a hydration pack given the shambles and carnage of 2022 but I cannot see how they can really enforce such a rule on such short notice, Its not an insignificant expense if you don't own one!

57 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

Before this announcement I got some tips from some guy not to ride with a hydration pack.  All I need to do is full to my bottles at every water point.

I said there is no way in Hell I'll would ride without one.

I am VERY light on water, I usually ride with a single water bottle and I just fill up at waterpoints (including races like Atta and Karoo Burn)

In the 2022 heat wave I distinctly recall being in a panic on how I am going to survive the 20km disrict roads between 2 waterpoints on just one bottle? Hopefully it wont be as bad this year but not a chance I am taking!

Edit - just to add, in theory he has a point. Most waterpoints are spaced about 20kms from each other and on normal days cyclists able to do the Atta should be able to go the 1 to 3 hours between waterpoints on the bottles you have on the bike. Problem is in extreme heat you can quickly down a liter of water and still be thirsty and once you are dehidrated the damage is done. There is no quick comeback, you are going to struggle the rest of the ride. 

Edited by Skubarra

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Good idea to ride with a hydration pack given the shambles and carnage of 2022 but I cannot see how they can really enforce such a rule on such short notice, Its not an insignificant expense if you don't own one!

I am VERY light on water, I usually ride with a single water bottle and I just fill up at waterpoints (including races like Atta and Karoo Burn)

In the 2022 heat wave I distinctly recall being in a panic on how I am going to survive the 20km disrict roads between 2 waterpoints on just one bottle? Hopefully it wont be as bad this year but not a chance I am taking!

Edit - just to add, in theory he has a point. Most waterpoints are spaced about 20kms from each other and on normal days cyclists able to do the Atta should be able to go the 1 to 3 hours between waterpoints on the bottles you have on the bike. Problem is in extreme heat you can quickly down a liter of water and still be thirsty and once you are dehidrated the damage is done. There is no quick comeback, you are going to struggle the rest of the ride. 

True to this, i never had problems of running out ot water, but 2022 happened twice, luckily they introduced intermediate points with cold biogen fizzy drinks that saved my life. Pack in if you have, even if you only fill it at the first water point. what i did later on is have one bottle of ice wtaer to help my tummy as the heat and sugar did not go down well.