Di2 charger not supplied with second hand bike purchase

cathmtb

I studied bcom law in Afrikaans many years ago, this sounds like something from the "sakereg" (property law?) textbook. The Di2 charger being a "bysaak" (accessory?). There was a case about bar stools not being included in the sale of a house with a built-in bar. long story short, the whole affair went to court, and upon appeal at the cost of R50 000 back in the 80's, the person that purchased the house without the chairs won the case. The chairs were worth approximately R800. The lecturer laid emphasis that a "beginselsaak", or in a English, a principles case, is often not worth the cost. 

So yeah, you could demand your charger at a fee, or just take the "L" and buy a new one. 

Caveat, I work in IT now, so the English "legalese" is a bit rusty, lol. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

whats next, not including the battery ?

“Oh you wanted a battery as well.? Hmmm, that sucks for you..🤷🏼‍♂️” hahahah 

or worse, imagine the battery wasn’t working and they didn’t say anything because you weren’t asked if the battery works.. it’s mental how far this can go..😰

Someone else said it here and yeah, I think I’ll stick to mechanical 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Armandt_R said:

I studied bcom law in Afrikaans many years ago, this sounds like something from the "sakereg" (property law?) textbook. The Di2 charger being a "bysaak" (accessory?). There was a case about bar stools not being included in the sale of a house with a built-in bar. long story short, the whole affair went to court, and upon appeal at the cost of R50 000 back in the 80's, the person that purchased the house without the chairs won the case. The chairs were worth approximately R800. The lecturer laid emphasis that a "beginselsaak", or in a English, a principles case, is often not worth the cost. 

So yeah, you could demand your charger at a fee, or just take the "L" and buy a new one. 

Caveat, I work in IT now, so the English "legalese" is a bit rusty, lol. 

I believe the consumer protection act does cover second hand goods as well.. but yeah I don’t know if it would actually be worth pursuing 🤷🏼‍♂️

The question is: does a new bike come with a charger? If yes, then it is reasonable to expect that a charger is included when buying a second hand bike. 

If new doesn’t have a charger then a second hand one cannot be expected to come with the charger unless buyer wants to pay extra for the charger. 

Given that the charger is an integral part of the drivetrain and the bike’s usability, it should be a given that it’s included.  Not really a grey area imho.

It’s not like pedals, bottle cages, Garmin etc as these transfer to another bike, and often the buyer has these items. Whereas the Di2 charger is a dedicated item that’s originally included and conflating with phones etc is a false equivalence.
If the charger is used for another bike as an extra for convenience, or to be sold on separately. Well then that’s at the op’s expense and a bit swak.

In plain simple terms including the charger is just right thing to do. No grey.

2 minutes ago, YozTruly said:

The question is: does a new bike come with a charger? If yes, then it is reasonable to expect that a charger is included when buying a second hand bike. 

If new doesn’t have a charger then a second hand one cannot be expected to come with the charger unless buyer wants to pay extra for the charger. 

Yes it does.

2 minutes ago, YozTruly said:

of course it does, it's not an iphone ! That's why I don't even understand why you'd want to keep the charger when selling the bike, unless you broke or lost another charger and use one charger on multiple bikes, but then it's your problem to replace, not the buyers (unless again the buyer is made aware that the charger is missing).

5 hours ago, Michael Dewing said:

I believe the consumer protection act does cover second hand goods as well.. but yeah I don’t know if it would actually be worth pursuing 🤷🏼‍♂️

It does cover second hand goods, but it only applys to traders. 

So an average person selling their private bike is not subject to the laws of the CPA

3 minutes ago, Eugene said:

It does cover second hand goods, but it only applys to traders. 

So an average person selling their private bike is not subject to the laws of the CPA

Okay yeah that makes sense.. thanks..

I stand that accessories that come standard with a product should be included in a resale unless unavailable for some reason, broken, lost etc.. and if not included should be stated clearly, and should probably influence the asking price.. 

lots of comparison to mobiles not coming with chargers/chargingblocks anymore, as if that makes this okay.. but that’s Apple that’s decided that and there’s not much we can do about it when it’s a trillion dollar company.. but if it was resellers removing the charging block I think it would be a different story.. 

On 10/10/2023 at 3:21 PM, shaper said:

You can buy a charge separate and most bike shops will be able to source one. 

https://www.olympiccycles.co.za/product/shimano-dura-ace-di2-11spd-batt-charger-inc-cord-usb/

Merlin have this model on special for R1450 (ex VAT and shipping - im sure there are hubbers willing to chime in on an order to share costs) --> https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-sm-bcr2-di2-battery-charger-for-internal-battery-87894.html

Can you share the ad or details of the bike and how much you paid? if you got the bike for a good price, then with or without accessories, it could just be one of the reasons it was sold for so cheap.

Not sure bikehub ads come with an end user agreement, implied or not.

17 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Maybe @MORNE  is ahead of the curve going back to cables ... I mean gear shift cables ....

Everything old is new again, you’ll see😁.

The mechanicals that replaced the electronics work flawlessly and best of all, the set-and-forget nature means I have literally forgotten about it. Its a thing attached to my bike that just always works.the same thing happened when I replaced the over complicated fox X2 with a coil shock. I dont spend hours wasting time fiddling with settings anymore, it just works now.

I feel like I have removed complexity from my life not having to spare a thought for a battery on a tool I use to decompress and have fun with.

IMG_9424.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

All y'all luddites with your 'go back to cable' jibes .... Skud maar net jy kop 😝

IMHO once you've ridden road electronic you'd be doff too think cable is better ... That cool look, crispy shifting, the sound of that servo 😎

9 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

All y'all luddites with your 'go back to cable' jibes .... Skud maar net jy kop 😝

IMHO once you've ridden road electronic you'd be doff too think cable is better ... That cool look, crispy shifting, the sound of that servo 😎

Be like a LS3 V8 in a Tesla.

images (1).jpeg