Di2 charger not supplied with second hand bike purchase

cathmtb

18 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Just yanking your chain 😋 

Almost time for one of @Jewbacca eloquent posts about the "passionate posts" from people with zero vested interests .... :P

Some interesting lessons to learnt on this thread though ... from questions to ask when buying, to the (lack of) "ethics" of a few Hubbers ....

It certainly CAN be a good function if "supplied with battery" becomes a MANDATORY yes/no field when selling e-bikes and bikes with electronic shifting .... may add a very handy hurdle to the hot-bike peddlars ...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

This woman is crazy man. Charger should be supplied.

Pretty obvious conclusion to me too...

also, the charger isn't just a charger, it's also the cable that allows you to tune your Di2 from your computer, setting up magic buttons, etc... so the comparison with phone chargers is completely irrelevant as for a phone you can use pretty much any other cable/brick these days.

Edited by Jbr

its one of those thing "It is what it is". I have a few customers come into my shop asking if I can charge their bike because their charger was forgotten somewhere on a holiday trip or they've broken a connection somewhere and even bought a bike without a charger. Its one of those things that should of been asked when you buy second hand electronics nowadays that rely on batteries. Just take a look on bike hub or ask a mate for one.

14 minutes ago, Jimmy 2.0 said:

its one of those thing "It is what it is". I have a few customers come into my shop asking if I can charge their bike because their charger was forgotten somewhere on a holiday trip or they've broken a connection somewhere and even bought a bike without a charger. It’s one of those things that should have been asked when you buy second hand electronics nowadays that rely on batteries. Just take a look on bike hub or ask a mate for one.

OP bought a bike. Not an electronic device.

Tbh, I would rather ask my LBS to charge it for me than spend 3k on a charger. Seems like we all just brushed over this. 3K for a freaking charger. In terms of ripoffs, that is right up there!

39 minutes ago, Jimmy 2.0 said:

The solution to all of this is mechanical group set😆

I WAS going to agree with you ....  Oooo crap .... I ride an ebike ... :ph34r:

So we now know that the Shimano Di system uses special cables and chargers.

SRAM ??  Costs of any special cables or chargers ?  (recall it being wifi to the phone and just a charger with crappy pins...)

e-bike charging ... every second year model has a different connector ...  staying with the same brand does not even help ....

Maybe @MORNE  is ahead of the curve going back to cables ... I mean gear shift cables ....

52 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

OP bought a bike. Not an electronic device.

So if he bought and Ebike and the charger didn't come with the bike it would've been ok ?

18 minutes ago, Jbr said:

So if he bought and Ebike and the charger didn't come with the bike it would've been ok ?

That seems to be what lots of people are implying 🤣.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Almost time for one of @Jewbacca eloquent posts about the "passionate posts" from people with zero vested interests .... :P

Some interesting lessons to learnt on this thread though ... from questions to ask when buying, to the (lack of) "ethics" of a few Hubbers ....

It certainly CAN be a good function if "supplied with battery" becomes a MANDATORY yes/no field when selling e-bikes and bikes with electronic shifting .... may add a very handy hurdle to the hot-bike peddlars ...

hahahaha

I think this is nuts from both parties.

Buyer: It is Di2, do you have the charger?

Seller: No

Buyer: Oh, that is strange, can i please have the charger or can you knock something off the price, the bike is useless without it.

Seller: errrrrrrrr 

Buyer: errrrrrrrr

I am not laying blame, but the whole interaction is strange.

It comes down to KNOWING WHAT YOU'RE BUYING AND SELLING

So much of this sort of disappointment is avoided by knowing what is changing hands and drawing lines in the sand as to what expectations are from both sides.

On another note, I rented an apartment out to friends of friends. I actually met them at the wedding of said friends. They brought a cat without telling me, which proceeded to destroy a couch and some dining room chairs. 

They hid the damage and left. 

I discovered it, got hold of them, they blocked me. I approached the friends with a 'yoh, these people....' and was shut down with a 'It's not our problem, we don't want to be involved'

These situations are always tricky and best dealt with outside of the mutual party.

Good luck OP

54 minutes ago, Jbr said:

depends did you ask and know that you were buying it without a charger.

Bit of a grey area - at one point I had 3 Di2 bikes sharing a single charger. They only need charging a couple of times a year. I've sold Di2 equipped bikes to folks who haven't needed the charger too, so I'm not sure it is automatically included in the sale. Also not including the Di2 charger doesn't indicate a stolen bike IMHO.

The cellphone charger example is a bit misleading as well - do you really expect to sell your cellphone with the old charger cable.

Edited by 100Tours

17 minutes ago, Jimmy 2.0 said:

depends did you ask and know that you were buying it without a charger.

no, just like I wouldn't ask if there is fluid in the brakes, pads in the calipers or tires on the wheels. 

When I bought my previous bike the seller forgot to ship the charger, when I pointed it out he sent it immediately and apologised. If you plan on not giving the charger with (which I really don't see why you would ???), you should point it out in the ad, same as for the pedals. It's not the buyers to ask for it. Bike is Di2, the charger is a part of the Di2 setup.

Edited by Jbr