Di2 charger not supplied with second hand bike purchase

cathmtb

8 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

your iphone can be plugged into any usb port, I'm guessing Di2 cant.

If you want a charging cable and even a charger for your iphone you can get it at just about any store these days, and it costs virtually nothing for a basic one.

Yeah couple hundred bucks and you are sorted, this problem is thousands to sort out..🤷🏼‍♂️ I’m wondering if CPA would apply here🤔

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Somehow I doubt sellers will take these chances when selling via Bike Hub Pay ....

Would actually be interesting to hear from the Bosses as to how they would manage this type of "mis-communication" and subsequent views and opinions ....

I also just thought about that.. maybe if a group set with Di2 is added then a mandatory drop down if charger is included or not when posting the add would be possible.? 

48 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

This is spot on.. it’s common practice to sell a bike without pedals on.. fine.. but how far does it go.. next thing okes are selling bikes without the brakes..

and exactly, it’s not like, suck it up, it’s only a couple hundred bucks to get one.. that’s expensive for essentially a cable with a fancy connection.. it’s ultegra Di2 road bike, I’m assuming carbon and has already cost a pretty penny.. I’d be pretty annoyed..

And it’s always specified that pedals are not included. Same should have been done here. 

46 minutes ago, FaizelSalie_01 said:

The latest iPhone does not come with a charger, just a cable.

I bought a 2nd hand bike too without a Di2 charger; I looked and bought on bikehub a 2nd hand one. I have seen Di2 bicycles here on bikehub, some sellers mention about the charger and some not; best is always to ask the seller upfront whether the charger is included or not.

The Di2 does come with a cable so your comparison makes no sense. 

4 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

And it’s always specified that pedals are not included. Same should have been done here. 

The Di2 does come with a cable so your comparison makes no sense. 

Agreed.! Big time.! 

Complete transparency goes a long way when selling second hand goods.. it always feels like such a risk buying second hand.. and this is one reason why.. it’s a scum bag move if you ask me..(sorry to be so harsh😳)

16 hours ago, Ozzie NL said:

I think technically the woman is correct: if it wasn't listed, you shouldn't expect it to be included. Having said that, I can see why you're a bit peeved.

My view would be that it is not worth the aggravation; put big girl panties on and buy a charger yourself

Could not disagree more…

buy electric car without the charger…?
buy cellphone without a charger…?
then advertiser SHOULD write ; (Di2) charger not included…

I feel she, the seller,  should AT LEAST meet the buyer half way…

Gear changing is TECHNICALLY not feasible when the battery is flat, so battery NEEDS to be charged, so bike NEEDS a charger, so I-F charger NOT included, onus is on SELLER to mention that in advert, since bicycle more-or-less unridable WITHOUT the charged battery…

‘do not sell me, say, a kettle without the charging cable, FFS….’

So, a piss-poor show, IMO.

Rant off.

Chris

Edited by Zebra

I love these comments, just go throw away as nearest makes no difference R3k on something that is essential for the bike to be functional. These would most likely be the same people to go nuts if there's a mark not specified. 

It's basically like buying a Ebike without charger. Absolute minimum it should have been clearly stated. 

Yeah I'll feel like I got shafted if it was me. Definitely should've been stated! 

At least we know a few okes will be doing the same thinking that's okay.

9 hours ago, cathmtb said:

Hi all

I recently purchased a second hand road bike with Ultegra Di2. I found the bike here on bikehub, the lady selling it had moved to CT from JHB and a few of my friends know her so I took the risk of buying a bike I hadnt been able to view. Anyway the bike arrived without the Di2 charger (its one of the older models so a replacement charger was quoted as R2800). I paid her her full asking price for the bike. Had I known the charger would not be supplied I would have offered her less for the bike. The charger comes in the box with any new Di2 set, same as buying a cellphone, you get a charger in the box, a garmin you get a charger in the box. She is now refusing to pay for another charger or refund me any amount to go buy another one. She says I shouldnt have assumed the charger would have been sent with the bike if it wasnt specified in the advert. Please could you share your opinions, am I in the wrong here? I feel like its quite an obvious thing to be supplied that shouldnt need to be listed in an advert. 

Anyone who has bought a new iPhone in the last 3 years has already given up expectations of included chargers 😂

As for your predicament, whilst I'm not familiar with dealing in bicycles with electronicals of any sort (eBike or groupsets), I have bought and sold dozens of battery-operated power tools over the last few years and the whole "battery and charger" included thing can be very ambiguous.

If there is no mention, some will assume included, others will assume not (unless pictured in ad), so the safest way is always for the seller to state "No battery or charger" or "Skin only".

I guess one big difference is with used power tools (and used cell phones) is that buyers have already owned one or more so will likely already have a charger, so assuming it is not included stands within reason. However with something more proprietary and bespoke (like electronic groupsets, or the latest Garmin watch), where buyers are don't exactly have a long line of them historically and the charger just fist that one model, I feel the charger should be included, unless otherwise stated. 

16 hours ago, cathmtb said:

Hi all

I recently purchased a second hand road bike with Ultegra Di2. I found the bike here on bikehub, the lady selling it had moved to CT from JHB and a few of my friends know her so I took the risk of buying a bike I hadnt been able to view. Anyway the bike arrived without the Di2 charger (its one of the older models so a replacement charger was quoted as R2800). I paid her her full asking price for the bike. Had I known the charger would not be supplied I would have offered her less for the bike. The charger comes in the box with any new Di2 set, same as buying a cellphone, you get a charger in the box, a garmin you get a charger in the box. She is now refusing to pay for another charger or refund me any amount to go buy another one. She says I shouldnt have assumed the charger would have been sent with the bike if it wasnt specified in the advert. Please could you share your opinions, am I in the wrong here? I feel like its quite an obvious thing to be supplied that shouldnt need to be listed in an advert. 

What happened to the actual charger?

Seller needed one to ride bike, either she has two bikes and one charger, broke/lost charger or it's a stolen bike.

17 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

This woman is crazy man. Charger should be supplied.

Next time I sell my phone, I’ll exclude the charger as well. You can pay extra for it. Honestly the stupidest thing I’ve come across today.

😅

I fully grasp your point, but i would nevertheless like to be that guy and still point out to you that many new phones are sold without charger bricks haha. USB Cable sure…but the brick, nope. Argument being, you most likely have 235 ones lying around already so if you really want a new one…pay extra.

yes, agree, she is being a bit daft.

It's a challenging situation to be placed in, and one could argue from either perspective. I presume this will become an increasingly common issue with the rise in popularity of electronic groupsets.

Introducing a toggle to choose between a mechanical groupset and an electronic groupset when listing a bike could alleviate future frustrations. If 'electronic' is selected, a mandatory field asking whether a charger is included could be presented.

30 minutes ago, MORNE said:

😅

I fully grasp your point, but i would nevertheless like to be that guy and still point out to you that many new phones are sold without charger bricks haha. USB Cable sure…but the brick, nope. Argument being, you most likely have 235 ones lying around already so if you really want a new one…pay extra.

yes, agree, she is being a bit daft.

I responded to this point earlier and I’ll do it again.

If I sell a phone and it came with a charger, then you need to sell the phone with a charger unless you specifically state in the ad, the charger is excluded. If i sell you a phone which do not come with a charger, then i do not need to put a charger in as the phone never came with it. The bike came with a charger, hence the charger has to be included.

4 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I responded to this point earlier and I’ll do it again.

If I sell a phone and it came with a charger, then you need to sell the phone with a charger unless you specifically state in the ad, the charger is excluded. If i sell you a phone which do not come with a charger, then i do not need to put a charger in as the phone never came with it. The bike came with a charger, hence the charger has to be included.

Just yanking your chain 😋