Discovery Vitality weekly goal cap

1 hour ago, pedal menace said:

Do not forget that  A LOT of benefits is only applicable if you subscribe to extra features - i.e. bank card etc. Example: You do not get the free week if you are for example sick - if you are not a Discovery bank member. I personally find that to be the exact example of a monopoly forcing stuff down your throat for some benefits. NO THANK YOU! 

Not much different from other loyalty programs do, eg. eBucks.  

In this case, getting a bank account is not something that costs a lot. Perhaps learn from others on the original Discovery thread.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Thanks for that... :thumbup:

Click on the technical details button to see how this VO2 is going to work.  Still trying to understand it myself

Discovery with their changes now is using the endurance athletes criteria for everybody. I would love to see the ratio for people who are endurance athletes (registered) vs normal athletes.

Time to consider vitality...(savings on life policy) vs saving the vitality fees and losing the every few years cash back bonus on the policy.

Edited by JJDT

27 minutes ago, shaper said:

Click on the technical details button to see how this VO2 is going to work.  Still trying to understand it myself

Not sure if it's the test protocol on the watch, or the daily estimate, when they refer to 5 estimate values. This is what Garmin shows, as well as the integration into Intervals.icu (a daily value). My cycling VO2 would get me max points, but the running would be less. I hope they take the Cycling one, as it shows.
image.png.178c65d05725d2954a652ec7c120e61b.png

Can clearly see the progression in training, as the VO2 value climbs through the year.
Either way, it's part of the 30k annual fitness score, so workouts or this, it will still max at 30k, so not much of problem whether they get it or not.
image.png.9e0d6af57c5cdc54397fd6c3ff1ec3fe.png

27 minutes ago, JJDT said:

Discovery with their changes now is using the endurance athletes criteria for everybody. I would love to see the ratio for people who are endurance athletes (registered) vs normal athletes.

Time to consider vitality...(savings on life policy) vs saving the vitality fees and losing the every few years cash back bonus on the policy.

They discount the life policy premiums, as well as give cash back, based on your Vitality status. So it's not only the PayBack benefit you need to look at.

For me, the PayBack value is more than my Vitality premiums over 5 years.

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

They discount the life policy premiums, as well as give cash back, based on your Vitality status. So it's not only the PayBack benefit you need to look at.

For me, the PayBack value is more than my Vitality premiums over 5 years.

Thanks Frosty, the reason for my post is the actual rules of the payback. I'm healthy and rarely see the inside of the consulting rooms. Now I have a hearing disability and need to make use of hearing aids. These units are expensive and although DH pays a large sum towards these units. When I claim for a new unit my savings account is used and that will put me in the self payment gap and thus I claim one unit in the first year and the second unit in the second year. Come payback time DH calculates all claims and immediately I'm in the above 30% claim bracket not because of health issues but for an item I need to make life easier.

In hindsight I was quick to react instead of just do the maths and then decide.

55 minutes ago, JJDT said:

Thanks Frosty, the reason for my post is the actual rules of the payback. I'm healthy and rarely see the inside of the consulting rooms. Now I have a hearing disability and need to make use of hearing aids. These units are expensive and although DH pays a large sum towards these units. When I claim for a new unit my savings account is used and that will put me in the self payment gap and thus I claim one unit in the first year and the second unit in the second year. Come payback time DH calculates all claims and immediately I'm in the above 30% claim bracket not because of health issues but for an item I need to make life easier.

Thanks, I forgot about the claims affecting the CashBack. Hasn’t really affected me, so while I’m aware of it, I’m prone to forget about it.

We need to do things that make us happy, so we keep doing that. 

It’s not the years in your life that count; it’s the life in your years. ~ Edward J. Stieglitz

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

what are people getting for weekly goals now.

My weekly goal, points that is, is still on 900 as it has been for a very long time

I still get it in 3 rides so I'm good with that ....

37 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

what are people getting for weekly goals now.

Some 3 hour weekend rides are too easy, and the speed data gets 100 points. Average HR too low.

Spot the HIT session… 45 minutes on IndieVelo 🤦‍♂️IMG_2569.jpeg.59f3630456d3885614c71faa2c94a716.jpeg

On 10/24/2023 at 12:12 PM, JJDT said:

Pretty much why we stopped Vitality a few years back.

My wife has never been an active sports person ... rather the musician and reader,  With my arthritis I was never going to meet the criteria set for a normal fit person .....

And then they embarked on the road where you have to buy into their other products to get maximum benefit .... by which time I already had life cover, then short term cover, and a bond with another bank .... 

Fast forward to 2024 .... and the ever changing "core vs savings" plans -

On the coastal plans about 28% of your "Savings premium" goes to ADMIN !!!!  For member +1 you pay R 1 246 more per month, but only R898 is added to your MSA !!

Doing the same comparison for the Essential Delta Core to Essential Delta Saver a "significant" 33% of your savings contributions are re-routed towards "admin", and not your actual MSA account .....

It is making less and less sense to have a plan with an MSA at Discovery .....

Sadly it is turning into a numbers game, and you really have to do a LOT of homework to actually understand your options, and the catches .....

The really sad bit is that DH still is one of the better medical aid providers .....

9 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

It is making less and less sense to have a plan with an MSA at Discovery .....

Sadly it is turning into a numbers game, and you really have to do a LOT of homework to actually understand your options, and the catches .....

The really sad bit is that DH still is one of the better medical aid providers .....

You are 100% correct DH does not actually care about your health and hit the nail on the head regarding just numbers. You need an actual analytical degree to understand the plans on what is covered where...

You last sentence is so true... I just call it the other other way around "they are the best of all the bad ones...and No there is not good one..."

27 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

9 minutes ago, JJDT said:

You last sentence is so true... I just call it the other other way around "they are the best of all the bad ones...and No there is not good one..."

Then there is the pending NHS, or whatever it's called. 

5 minutes ago, JJDT said:

You need an actual analytical degree to understand the plans on what is covered where...

"they are the best of all the bad ones...and No there is not good one..."

I have been doing the maths every few years, and last year I finally switched to Discovery, after being with Bonitas for over a decade. Bonitas' value in of savings accounts, co payments etc were always superior to Discovery, to the point of negating the value of Vitality, even if you game it properly with the added products and unlocking the Weltth fund, but that starting changing a few years ago when they slowly started to copy Discovery's benefit structure. Last year was the final straw, with copayments now for everything; dental coming out of savings, etc. Same for Bestmed. They are all fractionally cheaper than Discovery, offering just a little bit more. Discovery, however, becomes a much better proposition once you opt into Vitality and the added products (Particularly Bank and short term insurance). You need to have the extra money to upfront for your premiums to get the cash back, though.