Bicycle models for fat/overweight rider

S_M_

I'm looking to get into cycling for health reasons and need some suggestions of bicycle models that would suit me. I'm usually around 126kg so I figure anything rated for 130kg should be good.

Looking around local online offerings doesn't give a weight rating so I figure why not ask around some forums

Hi 

Have a look at Trek, they specify quite generous weight limits on their bikes... This is the weight limit on Roscoe.

All of the best and hope you get results.

image.png.f9e76bca44c99969f3daa2e5030ce1b3.png

Weight schmeight. I tip the scales around 125kg myself on any given Sunday and I ride my Specialized Camber as if it's a proper Enduro machine on trails it probably wasn't designed for. The only advice I would give someone of our size is to upgrade the wheels. On my previous stock wheels, I was busting spokes and cracking rims, but since I upgraded to a set of Rapidé alu 36mm inner width rims I haven't needed to even true the wheels and the spokes are still in perfect order. Those wheels truly are bombproof.

So in short, if you are merely wanting to get into cycling for fitness sake, any bike will do.

10 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Weight schmeight. I tip the scales around 125kg myself on any given Sunday and I ride my Specialized Camber as if it's a proper Enduro machine on trails it probably wasn't designed for. The only advice I would give someone of our size is to upgrade the wheels. On my previous stock wheels, I was busting spokes and cracking rims, but since I upgraded to a set of Rapidé alu 36mm inner width rims I haven't needed to even true the wheels and the spokes are still in perfect order. Those wheels truly are bombproof.

So in short, if you are merely wanting to get into cycling for fitness sake, any bike will do.

This is the right answer. 

10 hours ago, S_M_ said:

I'm looking to get into cycling for health reasons and need some suggestions of bicycle models that would suit me. I'm usually around 126kg so I figure anything rated for 130kg should be good.

Looking around local online offerings doesn't give a weight rating so I figure why not ask around some forums

TREK and Merida XC and Above MTB's Support your weight on the Standard Wheels.

3 minutes ago, Brakepad said:

it's not about the weight(as long as you don't go for super lightweight stuff) it's about your riding skills and technique. e.g gear shifting skills...

You are So Wrong 

2 hours ago, Brakepad said:

it's not about the weight(as long as you don't go for super lightweight stuff) it's about your riding skills and technique. e.g gear shifting skills...

1 hour ago, dasilvarsa said:

You are So Wrong 

I could proof it... all I need is your bike, a 10 year old kid(40kg max) and Ill teach him how to snap your chain, break your rims, snap your saddle and kill your brakes.😁

Edit: spelling brakes correctly.

Edited by Brakepad

1 hour ago, Brakepad said:

I could proof it... all I need is your bike, a 10 year old kid(40kg max) and Ill teach him how to snap your chain, break your rims, snap your saddle and kill your breaks.😁

love it when someone with brake in their name still can't spell it.

have a break, have a kit kat.

back to OP, wheels seems to be the failure point. bikes are very overspecced in general. Congrats on taking this step, wich you all the best. For inspiration, read up on old Ernie here

https://en.brujulabike.com/ernest-gagnon-big-e/

Agreed, with everything everyone's mentioned above.

You just need strong wheels, and there are quite a few nice options available.

My most popular heavy duty build for big guys and / or high-performance e-bikes is the following:

• Hope Pro4 or Pro5 hubs
  • Stan's Flow EX3 rims (32h)
  • Double butted spokes and brass nipples.

Other great options are:

• AMP HD rims and Hi-Per hubs from Lyne,
  • Spank Vibrocore rims with their Hex Drive hubs.

Here's a set I built last week - R14 400 excluding tyres, for reference.

DSC_1798.jpg

6 minutes ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

Agreed, with everything everyone's mentioned above.

You just need strong wheels, and there are quite a few nice options available.

My most popular heavy duty build for big guys and / or high-performance e-bikes is the following:

• Hope Pro4 or Pro5 hubs
  • Stan's Flow EX3 rims (32h)
  • Double butted spokes and brass nipples.

Other great options are:

• AMP HD rims and Hi-Per hubs from Lyne,
  • Spank Vibrocore rims with their Hex Drive hubs.

Here's a set I built last week - R14 400 excluding tyres, for reference.

DSC_1798.jpg

Let the Man Buy the Bike First. Then We sell him Wheels. 

No one here has even asked about budget 😂

I suspect it might very well be that the OP, as a complete novice, may not have had in mind to spend on a bike what a we know a heavy-duty wheelset costs!