Karoo Crossing route? Grabouw to Prince Albert

Stephan

6 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Slight hijack - there is no way to cycle from Bosluiskloof/Gamkapoort dam directly to Prince Albert? Including a bit of hike-a-bike. You have to go all the way round Calitzdorp to Prince Albert?

Nope, the dam is full. There will be much swimming involved.

Even when it's empty you're not allowed on it except on foot, it's a nature reserve and there's no road. People have tried and either been nicked by Sanparks or got properly stuck in the mud and then nicked.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 1 Grabouw to Greyton .

Day 2 Greyton to Swellendam via Riviersonderend . Pie stop is compulsory at Ou Meul . From Riviersonderend you can go North or South of the N2 

Day 3 Swellendam to Oudebosch farm North of Riversdale via Zuurbraak 

Day 4 Oudebosch to van Wyksdorp via Gysmanshoek Pass . Overnight at Rooiberg Lodge .

Day 5 Rooiberg Lodge to Calitzdorp via Rooiberg Pass. Alternatively Rooiberg Lodge to Ladismith. Cross the R62 .

Day 6 Ladismith to Calitzdorp via Hoeko valley road

Day 7 Calitzdorp to Prince Albert via Kruisrivier . Come say hello

46 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Slight hijack - there is no way to cycle from Bosluiskloof/Gamkapoort dam directly to Prince Albert? Including a bit of hike-a-bike. You have to go all the way round Calitzdorp to Prince Albert?

Bosluiskloof was an old Bain's pass built to access Prince Albert from Laingsburg. But then the Gamkapoort dam happened, necessitating the construction of the road into Die Hel and Bosluiskloof became a dead end. So the short answer is no.

There is however a rumour of a ferry across the dam that I intend to explore further some day. I'd love to have the number of the boatman if anyone has it :) 

Edited by 100Tours

2 minutes ago, 100Tours said:

Bosluiskloof was an old Bain's pass built to access Prince Albert from Laingsburg. But then the Gamkapoort dam happened, necessitating the construction of the road into Die Hel and Bosluiskloof became a dead end. So the short answer is no.

There is however a rumour of a ferry across the dam that I intend to explore further some day. I'd love to have the number of the boatman if anyone has it :) 

Phone Bruce at Boschluyskloof lodge he will give Fox Lederbuhr’s number

On 11/8/2023 at 5:59 PM, 100Tours said:

.............There is however a rumour of a ferry across the dam that I intend to explore further some day. I'd love to have the number of the boatman if anyone has it :) 

The ferry idea across the Gamka Poort Dam was something that my father tried extremely hard to make a reality more than a decade ago. The idea was to make it a cycling, adventure, 4x4 route that could allow a circular or a figure of eight route including Meiringspoort, Swartberg Pass and Seweweekspoort. He felt that Prince Albert, De Rust, Oudtshoorn, Calitzdorp, Ladysmith and Laingsburg would all benefit from a scenic route like that and the extra tourism it could generate. The road is still a proclaimed public road. just cut off by the dam. Sadly, some unreasonable landowners intervened with legal threats because they did not want their own little hideaways disturbed. Sadly, because of a very few who don't like the sun to shine on others, all those little towns lost out.  He would surely smile from above if someone revives the idea and get it done. All the planning, environmental impact studies, feasibility studies etc. were done. It must be somewhere in a dusty municipality or provincial drawer.  

Edited by DJR

18 minutes ago, DJR said:

The ferry idea across the Gamka Poort Dam was something that my father tried extremely hard to make a reality more than a decade ago. The idea was to make it a cycling, adventure, 4x4 route that could allow a circular or a figure of eight route including Meiringspoort, Swartberg Pass and Seweweekspoort. He felt that Prince Albert, De Rust, Oudtshoorn, Calitzdorp, Ladysmith and Laingsburg would all benefit from a scenic route like that and the extra tourism it could generate. The road is still a proclaimed public road. just cut off by the dam. Sadly, some unreasonable landowners intervened with legal threats because they did not want their own little hideaways disturbed. Sadly, because of a very few who don't like the sun to shine on others, all those little towns lost out.  He would surely smile from above if someone revives the idea and get it done. All the planning, environmental impact studies, feasibility studies etc. was done. It must be somewhere in a dusty municipality or provincial drawer.  

That would be a brilliant route

1 hour ago, DJR said:

The ferry idea across the Gamka Poort Dam was something that my father tried extremely hard to make a reality more than a decade ago. The idea was to make it a cycling, adventure, 4x4 route that could allow a circular or a figure of eight route including Meiringspoort, Swartberg Pass and Seweweekspoort. He felt that Prince Albert, De Rust, Oudtshoorn, Calitzdorp, Ladysmith and Laingsburg would all benefit from a scenic route like that and the extra tourism it could generate. The road is still a proclaimed public road. just cut off by the dam. Sadly, some unreasonable landowners intervened with legal threats because they did not want their own little hideaways disturbed. Sadly, because of a very few who don't like the sun to shine on others, all those little towns lost out.  He would surely smile from above if someone revives the idea and get it done. All the planning, environmental impact studies, feasibility studies etc. was done. It must be somewhere in a dusty municipality or provincial drawer.  

How viable would it be as a bicycle - pack raft adventure?

10 hours ago, PhilipV said:

How viable would it be as a bicycle - pack raft adventure?

It is currently only viable if you get the landowner on the Laingsburg side to ferry you across with a little boat. He usually then wants people to stay at his place for a night to make it worth his while. It can be arranged.

To pack your own raft, I suppose, is possible, but if the dam is full it could be a bit of a tricky crossing because it is pretty wide where the road used to run. If the wind blows and there is chop, I would be hesitant to cross it with an inflatable raft loaded with a bike and gear. Also, if it is not full, you often have a wide very tricky muddy bit to get across. I'm talking about the kind of mud that get you stuck! If it is very dry and the dam has been near empty for a long time, you can walk across.

But yes, it will be a proper adventure.

Ask Prince Albert Cycles (Arno) for an opinion and advice also.

Agreed that that would be a wonderful route. Boschluiskloof is a pretty pass, as is Seweweekspoort, and neither seems to get a lot of attention.

If you need any encouragement to put them on your list then this is Boschluiskloof (we rang the bell on the gate and the lodge was perfectly happy to let us in)

IMG20230108095541.jpg.5ac26bdd54cd8d5e6dfaa5a91b65180a.jpgIMG20230108101235.jpg.013deb701b567e97c4f778ea17d64488.jpgIMG20230108100234.jpg.ae2d4c8270dd803093069f2c63532ddc.jpg 

Edited by 100Tours

14 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Agree with the last bit - the route from Kruisrivier to Calitzdorp is a hidden gem, one of the most beautiful back roads to cycle in the country. From Calitzdorp to Kruisrivier though... what a flippen neverending drag 😬

We stay on the Calitzdorp - Kruisrivier road every December,  those drags.

Gets lekker steep after Groenfontein!!!  Great endurance training.  My favourite is the OP's day 6, Calitz to PA via the Pass - magical stuff.  I'm there in 6 weeks time, cannot wait!! 

37 minutes ago, 100Tours said:

Agreed that that would be a wonderful route. Boschluiskloof is a pretty pass, as is Seweweekspoort, and neither seems to get a lot of attention.

If you need any encouragement to put them on your list then this is Boschluiskloof (we rang the bell on the gate and the lodge was perfectly happy to let us in)

IMG20230108095541.jpg.5ac26bdd54cd8d5e6dfaa5a91b65180a.jpgIMG20230108101235.jpg.013deb701b567e97c4f778ea17d64488.jpgIMG20230108100234.jpg.ae2d4c8270dd803093069f2c63532ddc.jpg 

Added this to my bucket list.!!!

1 hour ago, 100Tours said:

It would be nice to drive this by car as a family outing?  I assume you can drive all the way to the dam - seems there is a lodge/cottages at the dam. @100Tours  where is the gate you are referring to?

Our family comes from Kruisriver, so I know the area quite well.

I would suggest you go further on day 4 as previously mentioned, otherwise you have the drag to Kruisrivier + the three "kriega" climbs towards Swartberg pass + swartberg pass for day 5 (2000m climbing at least)

Day 4 can be extended to closer to the swartberg pass, and there arw a lot of acommodation options on the route

Cheers,

Johannes

14 hours ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Phone Bruce at Boschluyskloof lodge he will give Fox Lederbuhr’s number

or just go to his website https://gamkapoortdam.co.za

13 hours ago, DJR said:

that is flippen cool. but a car ferry is quite an undertaking, and would it work with an empty dam?

I'm not going to share the source of this article with a biketour crossing the gamkapoort dam, but if you recognise the bike you should be able to hunt it down.

South African Dirt and the Karoobaix