Am I being unreasonable (cheap fork purchase)

RobynE

Before I approach the seller I would like to ask if I am being unreasonable, and could use you guys’ help. 

I bought a cheap air fork off the Hub. It was shipped from another province.

No issue with the purchase - seller comms good even when mine were bad due to being offline etc.

The goal of the fork was to replace my daughter’s coil fork with an air fork and I would have sent this cheap fork in for a service etc before installing it. 

The fork was advertised as “Used - good” and “was told it is a Fox but not sure” and “it’s functional”. I was fine with all of this, even if it wasn’t a Fox. I had asked if it was tapered and realise now on going back through the convo that the steerer question wasn’t answered. 

I collected the fork from Postnet today. 

It may or may not be a Fox but that’s irrelevant. 

Where I’m a bit testy is that the lowers seem to have been spray painted, the stanchions are very worn, and the seals are painted over and perished. The fork does not compress properly when I press it into the floor. The adjusters up top are not adjustable and also appear to be painted over. It’s a straight steerer and not tapered.  

Now, I paid R400 plus R100 shipping. It would be nothing for an air fork in “Used - good” condition. I was not expecting shiny and new, scratches/paint chips etc would have been fine. I really just wanted something functional - I could have slapped some unicorn decals onto an unbranded fork and my daughter would have been happy as. 

But am I being unreasonable in that I don’t feel that this fork is “Used - good” nor functional? 

If I am not being unreasonable what is the route I take here - would I ship it back (at R65-R100 depending) and ask for a full refund? 

Or do I consider this school fees? 

I have not yet contacted the seller as I want to work out if I’m being a toolbag about this first. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, RobynE said:

Before I approach the seller I would like to ask if I am being unreasonable, and could use you guys’ help. 

I bought a cheap air fork off the Hub. It was shipped from another province.

No issue with the purchase - seller comms good even when mine were bad due to being offline etc.

The goal of the fork was to replace my daughter’s coil fork with an air fork and I would have sent this cheap fork in for a service etc before installing it. 

The fork was advertised as “Used - good” and “was told it is a Fox but not sure” and “it’s functional”. I was fine with all of this, even if it wasn’t a Fox. I had asked if it was tapered and realise now on going back through the convo that the steerer question wasn’t answered. 

I collected the fork from Postnet today. 

It may or may not be a Fox but that’s irrelevant. 

Where I’m a bit testy is that the lowers seem to have been spray painted, the stanchions are very worn, and the seals are painted over and perished. The fork does not compress properly when I press it into the floor. The adjusters up top are not adjustable and also appear to be painted over. It’s a straight steerer and not tapered.  

Now, I paid R400 plus R100 shipping. It would be nothing for an air fork in “Used - good” condition. I was not expecting shiny and new, scratches/paint chips etc would have been fine. I really just wanted something functional - I could have slapped some unicorn decals onto an unbranded fork and my daughter would have been happy as. 

But am I being unreasonable in that I don’t feel that this fork is “Used - good” nor functional? 

If I am not being unreasonable what is the route I take here - would I ship it back (at R65-R100 depending) and ask for a full refund? 

Or do I consider this school fees? 

I have not yet contacted the seller as I want to work out if I’m being a toolbag about this first. 

So it was advertised as a Fox ended up not being, told it works properly and it doesn't.

Not school fees. Ask a refund.

It's not that much cash, but the intention behind it seems entirely deceptive.

Price seems accurate for what you got, description is definitely fiction. I'd be a bit annoyed, but for 400 bucks I'd not be expecting much more than scrap metal (although I do see more forks on an average day than most).

Chalk it up to school fees, rate the seller accordingly and know that your "investment" has saved someone else from this pile of excrement. Spending more money on returning it with no guarantee you'll get refunded seems like a poor use of R 100. Rather spend that on a beer with a mate.

31 minutes ago, droo said:

Price seems accurate for what you got, description is definitely fiction. I'd be a bit annoyed, but for 400 bucks I'd not be expecting much more than scrap metal (although I do see more forks on an average day than most).

Chalk it up to school fees, rate the seller accordingly and know that your "investment" has saved someone else from this pile of excrement. Spending more money on returning it with no guarantee you'll get refunded seems like a poor use of R 100. Rather spend that on a beer with a mate.

Thanks @droo and other guys.

I sent the seller a message last night but no reply as yet. 

I’ll give it until tomorrow before I do a rating - maybe he’s out of comms. 

First ask for your money back and if it doesn’t happen then just throw it away and add this under education on your CV.

The days of assuming people are as honest as you are long gone OP. If you venture into the classified again for the fork ask for a video of the fork in action plus pictures. 

Just my 2 cents..

I am not saying that it is however the current theft crisis MO is to spray parts and sell online for cheap. So doubt any refund would be offered if you could even get hold of the guy.

For something that normally ball parks for min R5000+-  2nd hand take it as school fees. Mention to him that the fork doesnt match as described and leave a bad review.

2 hours ago, YozTruly said:

First ask for your money back and if it doesn’t happen then just throw it away and add this under education on your CV.

The days of assuming people are as honest as you are long gone OP. If you venture into the classified again for the fork ask for a video of the fork in action plus pictures. 

Ja… I guess this is the first time I’ve received something that’s been “less than”  - mostly I’ve received exactly as or been pleasantly surprised. Eg I bought a platform carrier off marketplace yesterday and the guy was so cool and the rack is perfect. I’ve also bought a second hand fork from Zarras and been very happy. I’ve been happy with everything purchased via the Hub to date. 

Could well be a stolen part, I guess we’ll never know. I’ll see if it can be made functional but I’m not holding my breath, because of the paintwork. Sorry if it actually did belong to someone and got misappropriated at some point! 

8 minutes ago, RobynE said:

Ja… I guess this is the first time I’ve received something that’s been “less than”  - mostly I’ve received exactly as or been pleasantly surprised. Eg I bought a platform carrier off marketplace yesterday and the guy was so cool and the rack is perfect. I’ve also bought a second hand fork from Zarras and been very happy. I’ve been happy with everything purchased via the Hub to date. 

Could well be a stolen part, I guess we’ll never know. I’ll see if it can be made functional but I’m not holding my breath, because of the paintwork. Sorry if it actually did belong to someone and got misappropriated at some point! 

Also been pretty happy with 95% of what I've bought on here, and the other 5% hasn't been worth losing sleep over considering what I paid for it.

As far as making functional - if the stanchions are shot, don't bother. You'll spend more than it's worth getting it to 50%. 

Stolen - in that condition I doubt it, probably more an "I know a guy who can do it cheaper" job that the guy's now trying to claw back some lost cash on.

Wow, I'll be watching to see what Droo etc say about the lockout or whats left of it or what it even is.

In essence NO fork for R400 is going to be usable for anything other than as a fishing rod holder (upside down). Sorry for the bad experience.

Edited by love2fly