Am I being unreasonable (cheap fork purchase)

RobynE

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Just for context OP 

that is indeed a fox 

Thank you. It feels the same in the hand as my “new to me” Fox that I bought last year (which is an old F100 series). I think that’s why I feel sorry for it. I love my stuff and try to take care of it even when I’ve bought it second hand. This is a very unloved bit of kit. Poor fork. 

PS I wouldn’t have cared if it wasn’t a Fox. If it was ugly bit functional I’d have felt very pleased with myself lol. 

Edited by RobynE
Wanted to add a PS

2 hours ago, RobynE said:

Best pics I could take. 

I can’t take a photo of the crunching noise it makes when I compress it and if I shake it there is an intermittent rattle inside but not sure if it’s in the lowers or part of the steerer. 

IMG_1135.jpeg

IMG_1134.jpeg

IMG_1133.jpeg

IMG_1132.jpeg

IMG_1131.jpeg

IMG_1130.jpeg

IMG_1129.jpeg

IMG_1128.jpeg

IMG_1127.jpeg

IMG_1126.jpeg

IMG_1125.jpeg

IMG_1124.jpeg

Ugh sorry bruh, one doesn’t expect that kinda duping.  I wouldn’t donate that let alone charge anyone for it.

3 hours ago, RobynE said:

Best pics I could take. 

I can’t take a photo of the crunching noise it makes when I compress it and if I shake it there is an intermittent rattle inside but not sure if it’s in the lowers or part of the steerer. 

IMG_1135.jpeg

IMG_1134.jpeg

IMG_1133.jpeg

IMG_1132.jpeg

IMG_1131.jpeg

IMG_1130.jpeg

IMG_1129.jpeg

IMG_1128.jpeg

IMG_1127.jpeg

IMG_1126.jpeg

IMG_1125.jpeg

IMG_1124.jpeg

Problem is those are your photos after paying, not sent by seller before transaction. No matter that it was cheap,I can't think of any situation where I would be happy buying a fork without seeing it with my own eyes first. Second prize would be photos or inspection by a trusted friend.

I'm not saying the seller is not blameless here but the school fees is in not doing the homework before sending money(or taking a chance because the price seemed too good to be true)

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Problem is those are your photos after paying, not sent by seller before transaction. No matter that it was cheap,I can't think of any situation where I would be happy buying a fork without seeing it with my own eyes first. Second prize would be photos or inspection by a trusted friend.

I'm not saying the seller is not blameless here but the school fees is in not doing the homework before sending money(or taking a chance because the price seemed too good to be true)

Ja I appreciate that. I’ve never had any issues before with anything else I’ve bought on the Hub or elsewhere tbh, so I wasn’t expecting something non-functional. Ugly/brand-less, sure, but completely poked wasn’t on my check list. School fees indeed. 

FWIW seller hasn’t responded to my message but has re-advertised something else since I sent the message, so I’ve done the review and that will be the end of that. 

6 hours ago, Barry said:

I take it this was the ad? Not very clear description or photos. The whole ad would just make me move on and not even consider it.

Not sure whats up with the 24 ads for the same 3or4 items😆

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/mountain-bike-forks/679284/air-fork-26er-r400?utm_source=whatsapp

Is that a weld mark on the cross brace? 

Going by the picture the seller went out of his way to hide the fact that the stanchions are toast and the forks were sprayed to quickly put a frog on a dead pig.

Seller knew what he was doing so to my mind that's only one step away from taking your money and not sending forks 

NOT COOL!

38 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Is that a weld mark on the cross brace? 

Going by the picture the seller went out of his way to hide the fact that the stanchions are toast and the forks were sprayed to quickly put a frog on a dead pig.

Seller knew what he was doing so to my mind that's only one step away from taking your money and not sending forks 

NOT COOL!

Lowers can't be welded , atleast not those 

AFAIK magnesium reacts bad when exposed to extreme heat  

6 hours ago, Barry said:

I take it this was the ad? Not very clear description or photos. The whole ad would just make me move on and not even consider it.

Not sure whats up with the 24 ads for the same 3or4 items😆

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/mountain-bike-forks/679284/air-fork-26er-r400?utm_source=whatsapp

Yes that’s it. 

In my defence 😬 he had 5 stars and has been a member for an almost a year. When it comes to photos etc I try to remember that some folks do the best with what they have. I’ve found a few hidden gems over the years across my hobbies and interests lol and while I wasn’t expecting a diamond here I wasn’t quite expecting coal either 😂 I believe that people are inherently good and it typically doesn’t let me down. 

A note to myself to ask for more photos even when I feel a perhaps misguided sense of empathy for someone. Else: expect coal! 

9 hours ago, Shebeen said:

The part where your suggested Plan A is to leave. That's hardly a viable plan and not "standing up for yourself" like you first suggested.

Your Plan B is get a gun. 

I didn't realize jozi went down the tubes enough that the parking lot at a bike race is the O.K. Corral. 

A bike race needs to provide secure parking for your car (and bike). That's one of the tickboxes for a race to work and survive in the future. End of story.

22 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Lowers can't be welded , atleast not those 

AFAIK magnesium reacts bad when exposed to extreme heat  

I've seen a bike shop weld a cross brace on the request of the customer......fact.

1 hour ago, RobynE said:

Yes that’s it. 

In my defence 😬 he had 5 stars and has been a member for an almost a year. When it comes to photos etc I try to remember that some folks do the best with what they have. I’ve found a few hidden gems over the years across my hobbies and interests lol and while I wasn’t expecting a diamond here I wasn’t quite expecting coal either 😂 I believe that people are inherently good and it typically doesn’t let me down. 

A note to myself to ask for more photos even when I feel a perhaps misguided sense of empathy for someone. Else: expect coal! 

From his ratings i would say he has purchased 3 times and never sold anything.  24 current ads for the same 4 items and 130 odd  listings in 11 months. No forum activity and overall crappy ad all red flags for me. 

52 minutes ago, Barry said:

From his ratings i would say he has purchased 3 times and never sold anything.  24 current ads for the same 4 items and 130 odd  listings in 11 months. No forum activity and overall crappy ad all red flags for me. 

Thanks Barry. Lesson learnt. Maybe I must take up fishing again to find a use for it. Or I’ll carry it around in the car and shove it out the window at people who upset me in traffic. Fork sakes. 

Just now, RobynE said:

Thanks Barry. Lesson learnt. Maybe I must take up fishing again to find a use for it. Or I’ll carry it around in the car and shove it out the window at people who upset me in traffic. Fork sakes. 

Probably more scammers in fishing equipment than bikes and cars together.