2023 Festive 500

The Ouzo

44 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Realising that the run, if you’re not a proper/regular runner, is actually more challenging than expected. 
I normally run once a week, maybe twice. Varying 5-15km. 
But daily/alternating runs within a week obviously increases the load somewhat. Duh. Consequently picked up a few niggles and pains after a few runs, mostly trail, so opted to take the day off.

Basically, underestimated the pitter patter and absolutely overestimated my athletic ability 🫢 …. 

Also under estimated the riding. 3 days in a row of 100km and the body is feeling it. 
although I think the biggest factor was the massive effort on Tuesday. 

I’ll be taking tomorrow off the bike, but we have some water skiing planned so not complete rest. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ChrisF @Frosty cheers, it’ll be fine, just have to be ok with the fact that the glory days of running were basically primary school track and field. Norra vk am I walking though, ego is too shallow and stubborn for that. 

@The Ouzo keep it up, hot shower and stretch does wonders. Careful fun with the water ski vibes!

4 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

A better question.......
Does virtual rides EVER count?

Is virtual TSS and virtual fatigue a thing? 😁

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

Is virtual TSS and virtual fatigue a thing? 😁

Well if we work backwards, if it isn't on STRAVA, it never happened, ipso facto if it IS on STRAVA, it must have happened, so it must be real............ 

5 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

A better question.......
Does virtual rides EVER count?

Only if there's a 'covid' lock down!

37 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Im abandoning the challenge. Body is just to sore. 
I know (I think ) where I went wrong, so will take up the Festive 500 in December again. 

it was challenging, it was hard, it was fun. 

Fair.! I find there is definitely a line of pushing yourself through some pain and having to stop cos you’re actually going to hurt yourself badly very soon.. 

take it easy and recover rather.! 💪🏼😉🤘🏻

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

I know (I think ) where I went wrong, so will take up the Festive 500 in December again. 

This is not a challenge, it’s a marketing campaign. If it was truly a challenge, there would be other requirements, such as minimum elevation, minimum speed, must be done in no more than x number of rides.

When you are feeling fit and good, set your own challenge, call it the Ouzo300/400/500/1000 or whatever you want, and go for it. No need to wait for the next marketing campaign 

9 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

This is not a challenge, it’s a marketing campaign. If it was truly a challenge, there would be other requirements, such as minimum elevation, minimum speed, must be done in no more than x number of rides.

When you are feeling fit and good, set your own challenge, call it the Ouzo300/400/500/1000 or whatever you want, and go for it. No need to wait for the next marketing campaign 

I hear you.

.. I however didn’t care that it was Rapha.. was more interested in taking on the challenge with my good mate and talking about it on here with the rest of the community.. I haven’t even redeemed the reward and will probably never purchase Rapha.. 

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

What did i miss didn't the challenge on new years? 

18 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

I hear you.

.. I however didn’t care that it was Rapha.. was more interested in taking on the challenge with my good mate and talking about it on here with the rest of the community.. I haven’t even redeemed the reward and will probably never purchase Rapha.. 

Well said.

For me it was an opportunity to push my limits.

@Jewbacca, @'Dale and a few other experienced riders were very nice in sharing their hard earned experiences, giving us good advise.

As for the reward, I did not even click on the link.  Having pushed my limits succesfully is enough of a reward.

I am not worried about the marketing side.

This is just a nice opportunity for like minded individuals to have some fun.

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

Well said.

For me it was an opportunity to push my limits.

@Jewbacca, @'Dale and a few other experienced riders were very nice in sharing their hard earned experiences, giving us good advise.

As for the reward, I did not even click on the link.  Having pushed my limits succesfully is enough of a reward.

I am not worried about the marketing side.

This is just a nice opportunity for like minded individuals to have some fun.

Absolutely.!

im so amazed with what I’ve been able to achieve in such a short time.. the 500 challenge was so cool to see what I could actually do if I put my mind to it.. that open letter to strava thread comes to mind here for me as well.. I love strava for recording my efforts and I can look over them and plan my 2024 on the bike.. set my goals and the things I want to achieve.. it’s amazing that we can do that these days very easily.. if there’s a problem with the social media side of things I’m sure you can make your page private or whatever🤷🏼‍♂️ but I like encouraging others and getting encouragement from others.. I’ve worked hard dammit, give me my kudos.!🤣🤣

14 minutes ago, Meezo said:

What did i miss didn't the challenge on new years? 

That was the Festive 500 that ended on New Years, there is also the Versus Back to Base challenge thats running from 1 to 10 January to also rack up 500 riding km's. or 50 running km Personally I was only interested in the first challenge, when I have to start renaming activities to suit the sponsor then I couldn't be bothered.