2023 Festive 500

The Ouzo

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I am indeed on their WA group, will keep a look out for the rides. Will much rather do this in a group, like you say, much less effort involved.

Not sure about the BL group but some guys are organizing a 200k ride for day 1, different WA group to the BL group.

1 hour ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Not sure about the BL group but some guys are organizing a 200k ride for day 1, different WA group to the BL group.

yah, no. Not doing 200k in 1 ride. It will rule out the rest of the days because I'd need to be resting.

3 tips:

1. Aim for 500 and you may or may not get there. However the base miles will accelerate your endurance engine.

2. Do it with others. After 250 kms, there’ll be aches and goggas in places that will test your resolve. Social pressure will get you away from excuses and into the saddle.

3. Stay in zone 2. You can ride everyday if you pace yourself well. Also, avoid long or steep climbs to stay in the right effort zone.

IMG_4030.jpeg

16 hours ago, Shebeen said:

https://content.rapha.cc/no/en/a/story/festive-500

ok now i know what you're talking about

Did this a few years ago, it was not “fun” in the middle of winter…. Riding mostly alone in the rain, cold and sometimes snow.

Found that doing longer rides first and gradually reducing the distance was a good strategy mentally, it’s nice going to bed knowing you have less to do the next day and the next…..

Have not ridden my bike properly for about 6 months…. Definitely skipping it this year, we close for work between Xmas and new year so I might try go for a ride each day instead, not worrying about the 500 total.

23 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

3 tips:

1. Aim for 500 and you may or may not get there. However the base miles will accelerate your endurance engine.

2. Do it with others. After 250 kms, there’ll be aches and goggas in places that will test your resolve. Social pressure will get you away from excuses and into the saddle.

3. Stay in zone 2. You can ride everyday if you pace yourself well. Also, avoid long or steep climbs to stay in the right effort zone.

IMG_4030.jpeg

@The OuzoI was going to add points 2 and 3 as my suggestions as well.

I've done this several times and the easy years where when there was a group of us just rolling along at 25kph. Drafting, riding at a recovery pace, having people to chat to (riding and over coffee), having a reason/social pressure because you've committed... it all contributes to making it easier.

And then in terms of recovery, I'm no great cyclist and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get up and go again each day. If you ride at an easyish pace the day before and keep your cadence high, its really not bad. I remember the day after doing 130km I thought "I really wont be able to do that again" and for the first 10km I was pretty sure that it would be rough. But then your legs loosen up and its as if you hadn't ridden the day before. I think I ended up doing another 130km and did 700km that year. I know there are people here that dwarf that, but my point is I'm pretty amateur and I got there a lot easier than I expected.

Some other things that work for me:

• a foam roller and some stretches each evening wont hurt.
  • I don't like to have any 0km riding days. I'd rather do a very easy 30km on an off day than do 0km, otherwise the next day my legs feel like they've gone to sleep. But guess some days it is unavoidable due to family commitments.

Ultimately it was a challenge meant for the northern hemisphere. Short days and miserable weather. Generally speaking in the southern hemisphere our biggest challenge is not having the ability to do it, it's having the "permission". That and finding safe roads to ride on...

• 3 weeks later...

Challenge accepted, Sweeties!

3 endurance ride to more or less complete it, allowing for family time on alternative days. My son’s birthday is also on the 31st. Birthdays are holy days at home. No legs will be thrown over any saddle on these days.
24th: 120er, incl. 75% of the Argus route; 26th: 140er, Durbanville - Rooi Els - Durbanville, at this point.

The wind, heat and self-discipline to stay in zone 2 will be the performance challenges.

IMG_4428.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

2 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Challenge accepted, Sweeties!

3 endurance to more or less complete it, allowing for family time on alternative days. My son’s birthday is also on the 31st. Birthdays are holy days at home. No legs will be thrown over any saddle on these days.
24th: 75% of the Argus route; 26th: Durbanville - Rooi Els - Durbanville, at this point.

The wind, heat and self-discipline to stay in zone 2 will be the performance challenges.

IMG_4428.jpeg

I can see a ride to Gordon’s Bay  and back to Kleinmond being planned for the 26th.

Who knows, I might see a famous “phone photo” dude on the road.

The wind gods are angry. Have never seen this before during a Festive 500 challenge:

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 15.35.55.png

Edited by 'Dale

I'm going to give it a go. Rain predicted in the Pretoria area for 2 of the days, but lets' see. Anyone in the Pretoria, Equestria area willing to join me is welcome. Going to use my road bike, steady easy rides.