2023 Festive 500

The Ouzo

8 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I was away for three weeks (holiday), with a pre-planned goal of riding easy; every other day (distance not important), so I started reducing my training load from 947; I was quite well "rested" relative to the load going into 947. Can't say I'm not knackered, but I'd put the fatigue down to poor sleep (not used to a very hard bed).

Legs are a bit eina, as running is not my primary form of exercise. As you previously mentioned, the youthful mind thinks the older body is still capable of doing these things, without consequences. 

Now I can continue my "just ride" mentality until something else pops up on the radar. It's an easy year for me, this year, especially with one extra day in it.

You're an experienced salty sea dog. You know it's not just the youthful mind, but also the fact that most fit cycling people have good lungs, a good ticker and a level of expectation of themselves and their body. They can ride for hours, they aren't out out of breath or dying while running, so they generally go too hard/far/fast too early and do damage.

I've had a LOT of mates I ride with start running and get injured for just that. I tell them to do 2km for a week at an easy pace and spend weeks building up the load, but ego and expectancy don't allow for such a thing! 

The 10km runs at 5min/km come out and soon the shin splints and ITB inflammation follows.

Running isn't easy! hahahaha

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I was away for three weeks (holiday), with a pre-planned goal of riding easy; every other day (distance not important), so I started reducing my training load from 947; I was quite well "rested" relative to the load going into 947. Can't say I'm not knackered, but I'd put the fatigue down to poor sleep (not used to a very hard bed).

Legs are a bit eina, as running is not my primary form of exercise. As you previously mentioned, the youthful mind thinks the older body is still capable of doing these things, without consequences. 

Now I can continue my "just ride" mentality until something else pops up on the radar. It's an easy year for me, this year, especially with one extra day in it.

Same same, particularly sleep!

A physio/coach friend with an accomplished running background put it into a good context. Basically took an activity load on the body from over an approximate timeframe over an extended period, and compressed it 5times into a shorter period. 

15 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Same same, particularly sleep!

A physio/coach friend with an accomplished running background put it into a good context. Basically took an activity load on the body from over an approximate timeframe over an extended period, and compressed it 5times into a shorter period. 

Exactly what it boils down to for me. My normal monthly average is 500km, this is compressing that down to 1 week.

TrainingPeaks reports my TSS for last weeks abandoned attempt at 701, I've never seen above 400TSS in a week.

4 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Exactly what it boils down to for me. My normal monthly average is 500km, this is compressing that down to 1 week.

TrainingPeaks reports my TSS for last weeks abandoned attempt at 701, I've never seen above 400TSS in a week.

All I see here is you've led a sheltered life....... hahahahaha

29 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I will not argue that. My family and friends on the other hand think I'm training like a pro cyclist.

34 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I will not argue that. My family and friends on the other hand think I'm training like a pro cyclist.

I think if it was easy, it wouldn't be called a 'challenge'!

I think there is a place you go where some people think it's 'the end' and others know it isn't.

I've seen guys and girls bail in hundred milers 15km from the finish. They were 'done'. No injuries, no real issues, just 'done'. 

I guess the more often you cross that line between comfortably able and uncomfortably able the easier it gets.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

SO true .... :P

I look at some of the numbers and realise I am barely a weekend rider .....

And yet, friends and family ask when I am doing the Cape Epic .... hahahaha ....

Looking at the stats, for the 2023 Rapha 500 ....

263 609 Participants

Only 184 687 completed the challenge

30% did not complete

The "leader board" is a joke unto itself though ...

Who can ride 345km per day for 8 consecutive days ?

Even 20th place managed (apparently) to do a DC per day for 8 days in a row .... 

Somewhere in the middle of all of that, many of us managed to have a ton of fun :thumbup:

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

And yet, friends and family ask when I am doing the Cape Epic .... hahahaha ....

263 609 Participants

30% did not complete

Even 20th place managed (apparently) to do a DC per day for 8 days in a row .... 

Somewhere in the middle of all of that, many of us managed to have a ton of fun :thumbup:

I saw one leaderboard for the running showed someone having run 25000km 

People are strange 

It is supposed to be fun and motivating. The act of getting out in a time when it's too easy to do nothing but over indulge.

The 500/50 km is a carrot, the challenge an enabler. It's not the act of failing or winning, but the act of doing. 

Forget about Yoda and his teachings, doing instead of not doing is already winning!

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  🤣
Shamepies, ne.
hehehehehehe

My avg TSS per week sits at 750 for the past 5 weeks with an all time avg (10 year data) of 593 per week.  Every week.  10 years.  

46 year old with family and a 8-5 job.  

Time to get out of the comfort zone.

All said above..........
I have more than 5-10 friends that LAUGHS at the stats above.  Five of them doing 3 TIMES more than I do.  (35 000km per year racing and riding and racing a lot.)

So even I am not even CLOSE to being really, really "uncomfortable" and the human limits can be pushed even further.

Point of the mambling.
Your body is an amazing tool.
If you use it correctly and train it well, you can do amazing things.

34 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

263 609 Participants

30% did not complete

I was forwarded a screen shot of some guy who did the full 500km in one day.

the challenge is just that, a challenge. The 500km being a realistic figure for mortal like me, for some that figure is no challenge at all and they therefore use the opportunity to challenge themselves to do more.

my wifes family kept asking me this weekend when I'm going to do the Iron Man. Just because I cycled to Harties and water Ski'd the same day.

16 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  🤣
Shamepies, ne.
hehehehehehe

My avg TSS per week sits at 750 for the past 5 weeks with an all time avg (10 year data) of 593 per week.  Every week.  10 years.  

46 year old with family and a 8-5 job.  

Time to get out of the comfort zone.

All said above..........
I have more than 5-10 friends that LAUGHS at the stats above.  Five of them doing 3 TIMES more than I do.  (35 000km per year racing and riding and racing a lot.)

So even I am not even CLOSE to being really, really "uncomfortable" and the human limits can be pushed even further.

Point of the mambling.
Your body is an amazing tool.
If you use it correctly and train it well, you can do amazing things.

At the end of every year facebook reminds me of how little mileage I used to do. Celebrating less than 2000 km for the year. Its only the last 3 or 4 years where I've picked it up and am doing over 5000km per year.

I'm never going to be a pro, I ride solo 99.9% of the time. I work 6 days a week and there is no one under my employ to do home maintenance and upkeep. I actually dont have the desire to spend any more time on the bike than what I do (ok maybe slightly more).

I am happy and content with my cycling / life balance.

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I think there is a place you go where some people think it's 'the end' and others know it isn't.

This here is MASSIVE. The mental power to push or not push, barring injury is the biggest deciding factor.

12 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I was forwarded a screen shot of some guy who did the full 500km in one day.

the challenge is just that, a challenge. The 500km being a realistic figure for mortal like me, for some that figure is no challenge at all and they therefore use the opportunity to challenge themselves to do more.

my wifes family kept asking me this weekend when I'm going to do the Iron Man. Just because I cycled to Harties and water Ski'd the same day.

Do you cycle to harties.? From where.? 
I suggested it to my mate who scoffed and said he wouldn’t even think about that without a safety car..😰

I think that’s the great thing about the challenge, it can be molded into whatever you want it to be.. keep the rides flat if you just want to get the distance in or find routes with more elevation gain.. set average speed goals etc.. or just do it one shot🤣🤣😰🤮..  you can do anything with it..

2 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

Do you cycle to harties.? From where.?

From Boksburg. Second time I've done it.

You've got to get the timing right re: traffic. But on both occasions I've found the drivers to be rather courteous. From Brooderstroom towards Harties is currently sketchy as hell with the road works, and I'll rather wait for them to finish before riding that stretch again. But again, very courteous drivers and on 2 sections I had small trucks patiently waiting behind me until a gap became available for me to move over and let them through.