The Munga 2023

JohanDiv

A lot of riders at WP6 now! Interesting to see what happens from here on.

Not to fuel the drafting debate, I think it makes the race much more interesting! A shoot out on Bains or even a sprint finish would be flippen awesome!!

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

tjaainas going aero at TdF in 1998

Cipollini racing the 1996 Tour de France.

Rim brakes, gross....

And yes, I'm just stirring *** now. That hip angle of the front guys is making my stomach hurt.

Back to the dot watching. Marnus Nothnagel is starting to get close and closer to the cut off marker. See he's arrived at WP3 now Let's go boytjie, no time for dawdling! I can however relate to arriving close to last place at a WP, checking the tracker, and seeing that the winner has travelled double your distance (or in my case at the Grit, finished already). Strangely not demotivating, but rather awe-inspiring.

image.png.2cf5f8cedda2f2fe3fdabdd082c67245.png

@gemmerbal also needs to watch his time. He's a third done, but there's not a lot of margin.

Edited by TyronLab

I'm also a bit worried - I know he spent something like 12 hours in Britstown last year so probably thinking he has that in the backpocket but he is moving quite slowly, hope all is ok. 

Turning to headwind from Sutherland, and about 80km to go for Drikus.

image.png.6370efbe1804fd5701ce30e6e245d96d.png

image.png.dbdca3efa32107e195ddf61fb60a8aa8.png

Edited by Roul

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

Let us not conflate doing the Munga with having an exclusive knowledge on aerodynamics in cycling, Bru.

For sure. More relevant is being a USA cycling certified coach and having used power metes for field tests for over 20 years. Chung type testing road / TT bike position, clothing, wheel sets etc for a couple decades is a good start. Munga experience is an added but important reference point as specificity is a thing. 

15 minutes ago, Roul said:

Turning to headwind from Sutherland, and about 80km to go for Drikus.

image.png.6370efbe1804fd5701ce30e6e245d96d.png

image.png.dbdca3efa32107e195ddf61fb60a8aa8.png

Not too far out from Sutherland! 

18 minutes ago, SSCC said:

For sure. More relevant is being a USA cycling certified coach and having used power metes for field tests for over 20 years. Chung type testing road / TT bike position, clothing, wheel sets etc for a couple decades is a good start. Munga experience is an added but important reference point as specificity is a thing. 

With your disclosure and transparency on your credentials and experience, this thread can weigh your expert opinion more fittingly then. What we all have in common here is love for this  tough sport.

An important reference point for me and, as per BikeHub community rules and guidelines, being lekka, as opposed to patronising, is highly valued.

Bring on your technical input. 😎

On 11/28/2023 at 7:34 AM, gemmerbal said:

Hey @Lynskey i didnt take any offence, no worries. I just wanted to give my own account of things, just for some balance so no issues from my side my fellow hubber. 

Enjoy the dot watching, my friends are still upset with me over my 11h stay over last year at Britstown that caused some of them to have mild heart attacks… 🤣

The heart attacks were almost real.. hahahaha

Ricardo Stermin now up into 4th and Jenny in 5th(with 5 guys riding with her now)!! 

He is also a pretty strong rider.. Rode with him most of Boland Gravel Monster and then he suddenly flipped a switch and dropped me like a sack of potatoes around 130km up Bainskloof

Edited by JohanDiv

5 hours ago, SSCC said:

I'll bite.

So are these rider are going too slow to get benefit from tt bars?

(0 munga finishes, so pretend I'm a kindergarten on a balance bike from hyperama)