Riding alone most of the time, do you?

NotSoBigBen

45 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

That is a problem with lots of groups, not many want to do the work up front.

I don't really see that as a problem - the one doing the most work up front is also the one getting the most benefit from that group ride. 👍 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/6/2023 at 4:13 PM, Michael Dewing said:

Have you actually sprayed it.? Are you sure you not going to get yourself with any back spray while riding.?! 😳🤣

The key is if it is a spray/mist or a jet stream. Dont buy the misting one, you gonna get yourself as well

2 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

The key is if it is a spray/mist or a jet stream. Dont buy the misting one, you gonna get yourself as well

Hahah yeah man, I see it all the time, people buying non lethal self defense things, and actually even lethal things and not doing the home work.. when it comes to needing the thing they don’t actually know how it functions properly or even that it ain’t faulty, and it just ends up being useless.. OR BACKFIRING ON THEM..🙄

4 hours ago, Skubarra said:

I don't really see that as a problem - the one doing the most work up front is also the one getting the most benefit from that group ride. 👍 

Not necessarily, if they are overdoing it to "show off", they're probably doing more harm than good.

I ride alone a lot but i am very slecetive of my routes and locations i ride alone vs in a bunch. I dont like congested routes with traffic if alone or narrow roads. I also ride with flashing lights front and back, with the Garmin accident feature enabled. I also use the conduction headphones when i am alone so at least i can hear traffic and Garmin Varia radar which warns when approached from behind.

Its my therpay and i like it - very right brained when i am riding - dont know where the time went. I have learned its good for me.

I am lucky i have safe routes and can choose big shoulders on the side of roads on many of them...

44 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Not necessarily, if they are overdoing it to "show off", they're probably doing more harm than good.

Not sure I follow. If they pull too hard to show off let them go and do their own ride 20 meters ahead of the group, they'll catch the drift soon enough or next time they will join another group that is more on their perceived superior level. I find these things sort themselves out soon enough.

Edit - that said, groups that ride unsafely or are too big I avoid - I have no intention of risking crashes because people around me ride like hooligans, luckily I live in a place with enough different groups to have options.

Edited by Skubarra

5 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Not sure I follow. If they pull too hard to show off let them go and do their own ride 20 meters ahead of the group, they'll catch the drift soon enough or next time they will join another group that is more on their perceived superior level. I find these things sort themselves out soon enough.

Edit - that said, groups that ride unsafely or are too big I avoid - I have no intention of risking crashes because people around me ride like hooligans, luckily I live in a place with enough different groups to have options.

Sounds like too much admin to ride in groups.. 😳🤣🤣

13 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Not sure I follow.

You must be by yourself... 😊

Here's the trail of thought...

19 hours ago, Frosty said:

For those commenting on “being too slow to ride with a group”, I’m the other end of spectrum. I’m usually faster than, or at least one of the faster ones, in the group. I don’t mind pacing the group, riding in the wind, or taking a longer turn on front if others also want to assist.

6 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

That is a problem with lots of groups, not many want to do the work up front.

5 hours ago, Skubarra said:

56 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Not necessarily, if they [the person(s) in front] are overdoing it to "show off", they're probably doing more harm than good.

Doesn't mean that if I'm pacing, I'm getting the most benefit by being in front.
I could be riding too hard for my own good, but at the benefit of those following.
Or, I could be riding too slow (for myself), but it's helping others.

I.t.o. bunch skills, I've been fortunate to have been shown the ropes over the years, as well as be able show others what should be done. I guess that's a benefit of having a club group of regular riders, vs "strangers". Not that it stopped me crashing, and others too. Some were avoidable, others not.

I haven't read the while thread but how many of you, when riding alone, also slow down a little to catch enough breath to be breathing easy enough to give a cheerful hello when sailing past someone you've been chasing up the hill?

Conversely, who else, when being overtaken by someone, has to engage in an internal monologue about how you're there for a zone 2 ride and nothing more and maybe he's only riding 30km while you're doing 130 ....?

3 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I haven't read the while thread but how many of you, when riding alone, also slow down a little to catch enough breath to be breathing easy enough to give a cheerful hello when sailing past someone you've been chasing up the hill?

Conversely, who else, when being overtaken by someone, has to engage in an internal monologue about how you're there for a zone 2 ride and nothing more and maybe he's only riding 30km while you're doing 130 ....?

The only people who pass me are DEFINITELY pros or ex pros..........

19 minutes ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Like driving a car. Everyone going faster than you is a hoon or a show off and everyone going slower is a doddery danger holding up the rest. 

I strongly dislike driving.. 🤣🤣

Cycling for me is something I can just do on my own.. I’m trying to make healthier choices,(20+ years smoking and almost 15 years of alcohol and drug abuse) been clean for almost 8 years now.. and been off nicotine for the last 5 months or so(******* finally.!) 

I’m not doing it for anyone else.. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Michael Dewing

7 minutes ago, Mamil said:

you are not the only one, the lycra clad carrot slowly opening the gap is to tempting not to chase.

slightly off topic, but still related.

Many years back, doing the original Hyper to Hyper fast one. My mate and I were not exactly doing it fast on a particular stretch, we had been sitting up, cruising side by side, in todays terms we were probably sitting in zone 3 somewhere, having a fat chat.

Next thing a particularly attractive lady cyclist came past us, very shortly afterwards I noted to my mate how our cruising speeds had increased with the lady in view in front of us.

4 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

you are not the only one, the lycra clad carrot slowly opening the gap is to tempting not to chase.

slightly off topic, but still related.

Many years back, doing the original Hyper to Hyper fast one. My mate and I were not exactly doing it fast on a particular stretch, we had been sitting up, cruising side by side, in todays terms we were probably sitting in zone 3 somewhere, having a fat chat.

Next thing a particularly attractive lady cyclist came past us, very shortly afterwards I noted to my mate how our cruising speeds had increased with the lady in view in front of us.

Perfect example of “must spread seed, monkey brain”.. 🤣🤣🤣

love it.!

29 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Anyone who passes me definitely hasn't been as far as I have even if it's in the first 5k's of my ride and the audacity to pass me ..... pass someone what's that?

To a certain extent some sentiments displayed here is why I'm not a group rider 😜

I prefer riding on my own on the tar & in the bush slow or fast , its my time to do my own thing with no interruptions . Its like self help therapy and it gives me time to put the world and myself in order .

Don't get me wrong I also enjoy group rides now and again it helps keep you sharp as long as you are riding with like minded and fit people .

There is the risk of getting jumped and that would be my own fault .......... I accept that ......

Edited by Shane S