Scam Alert

Yaz

22 hours ago, Yaz said:

Hi Matt. The phone number is no longer in use. In my ignorance I paid to that number. A method I never used before. But I did it because I thought in all honestly he sent a picture with his ID it's most likely not a scam. 

As others have said, that's the first sign of a scam, and most likely not his ID. Especially if he was the one to suggest it.

Bikehub Pay FTW. Have used it a few times now for transactions I haven't been able to close in person.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/8/2024 at 11:10 AM, Yaz said:

Hi Matt. The phone number is no longer in use. In my ignorance I paid to that number. A method I never used before. But I did it because I thought in all honestly he sent a picture with his ID it's most likely not a scam. 

IMG-20231228-WA0034.jpg

If we assume it's not this guy - how did the perp. get this photo ? This guy is a stuntman and can be found on various websites. But is it him, or someone else using this pic as a ID ? Looks like a selfie - from lost/stolen phone perhaps ?

Edited by Max Headroom
added text

14 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

If we assume it's not this guy - how did the perp. get this photo ? This guy is a stuntman and can be found on various websites. But is it him, or someone else using this pic as a ID ? Looks like a selfie - from lost/stolen phone perhaps ?

Registering for sars they require a photo of you holding your ID. Could likely be a stolen photo. From a old phone or off the internet or it could be him, that's just it there's no way to prove it. 

27 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

In my search I also came across him as a stunt man. This is very confusing. But it's clear to me this is a new method for fraudsters 

On 1/8/2024 at 11:10 AM, Yaz said:

IMG-20231228-WA0034.jpg

Cool thanks will be wary of this scammer. However, please scratch out  the ID Number in the photo as we are currently in contravention of the POPI act if this is indeed a stolen photo. We place the real owner at risk here. Just a thought, could be wrong

Hey guys this is Francois Grobbelaar. Yaz  I did not scam you the same guy that scammed you scammed me in November. He used my ID picture and pretended to be me the same way he used someone else's when he scammed me. Sorry but we are both victims here. Below you can see that I send that picture to him. 

IMG_0035.PNG

IMG_0036.PNG

IMG_0034.PNG

Hey everyone this is the real Francois Grobbelaar. I was also scammed by the same guy that is why he has a copy of a picture with me holding my ID. He send me someone else's when he scammed me at the end of November. I reported him on BikeHub and they blocked him immediately. (see screenshot below) Lesson I learned is that I will never buy anything without going through the BikeHub payment system. Even though I asked for ID pictures, etc and did my research I still got scammed for 2k. Yaz sorry that you got scammed by someone using my info. 

IMG_D334C92106E6-1.jpeg

Also starting to see the 2nd hand cycles page on FB accepting known frauds onto the group. 

More due diligence is needed by some admins. 

17 hours ago, Francois Grobbelaar said:

Hey everyone this is the real Francois Grobbelaar. I was also scammed by the same guy that is why he has a copy of a picture with me holding my ID. He send me someone else's when he scammed me at the end of November. I reported him on BikeHub and they blocked him immediately. (see screenshot below) Lesson I learned is that I will never buy anything without going through the BikeHub payment system. Even though I asked for ID pictures, etc and did my research I still got scammed for 2k. Yaz sorry that you got scammed by someone using my info. 

IMG_D334C92106E6-1.jpeg

@Francois Grobbelaar if you have not done so, please report this to the South African Fraud Prevention service https://www.safps.org.za/ 

Just a little info for next time @Yaz and everyone else. There are times we see a good deal, sometimes real and sometimes a scam. The 1st red flag is check how new the hub account is or how long the guy has been on Facebook, those are easy to spot, 2nd red flag is when the request to pay them by E-wallet/pay to the cell no. (bank account would normally confirm that you chatting to the same person). www.truecaller.com is also your friend. Those are normally the checks I do. 

Hope this helps.

@fanievb the problem is who do I report as the name and details he used was someone called Ryan B Seynisch as per image below. He also sent me a picture of himself (Ryan) holding his ID copy which is why I fell for it. The same way he ended up using my picture and ID to scam Yaz. All I have is a phone number which is most likely a pay as you go phone anyway. I will go to the website and check what info they need and maybe I can give them something. Thanks

IMG_8914.PNG.b189692210052de1a021ae087fca3dc8.PNG

@Naidy I checked TrueCaller and the name matched the number as you can see on the screenshot below. My mistake was paying via cash send which is as you mentioned the biggest RED FLAG. Lesson learned for sure. Thanks

IMG_0046.jpg.9c4c631da2e3a5f77d8cf67079b8a6ee.jpg

1 minute ago, Francois Grobbelaar said:

@fanievb the problem is who do I report as the name and details he used was someone called Ryan B Seynisch as per image below. He also sent me a picture of himself (Ryan) holding his ID copy which is why I fell for it. The same way he ended up using my picture and ID to scam Yaz. All I have is a phone number which is most likely a pay as you go phone anyway. I will go to the website and check what info they need and maybe I can give them something. Thanks

IMG_8914.PNG.b189692210052de1a021ae087fca3dc8.PNG

@Naidy I checked TrueCaller and the name matched the number as you can see on the screenshot below. My mistake was paying via cash send which is as you mentioned the biggest RED FLAG. Lesson learned for sure. Thanks

IMG_0046.jpg.9c4c631da2e3a5f77d8cf67079b8a6ee.jpg

you need to report the fact that they are using your ID

Definitely another scam. Its a new Facebook account loaded in 2023. I also see that comments as been disallowed so people cant worn others. 

Screenshot_20240112-095719.png

On 1/7/2024 at 7:06 PM, Yaz said:

Beware of this man Francios Grobbelaar I dealt with him on FB. He is a fraud. Bought a varia which he never sent. 

IMG-20231228-WA0033.jpg

You did not buy anything .You send him money in exchange for a picture 

6 hours ago, eala said:

You did not buy anything .You send him money in exchange for a picture 

Thanks. Very insightful of you...