the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

3 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I wonder if the riders complain as much as the hubbers here behind their desks/workstations 🤪

You really want me to answer that. 😂😂

this morning they would have been cursing like unpaid sailors as they hiked their bikes up that climb

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a “qualifying standard” or something that one has to achieve to enter Epic?

Like with Comrades etc?

Or if you’ve got the cash can you just pitch up?

1 minute ago, ajnkzn said:

Is there a “qualifying standard” or something that one has to achieve to enter Epic?

Like with Comrades etc?

Nope, pay and ride to enter the tour de france of mountain biking

Edited by W@nted

4 minutes ago, ajnkzn said:

Like with Comrades etc?

just *** en betaal. The cynic in me says ACE are not  unhappy to have people pull out in the first few stages as it makes second half logistics easier for them.

looks like a 3way fight for the UCI men, with teams within2mins. SCR and Wilier are not out of touch yet at 8min back.

UCI women is shaping ghost/cannondale straight showdown. 3rd is Songo maybe able to do something from 8min back

7 minutes ago, ajnkzn said:

Like with Comrades etc?

If you have the cash you can pitch up. But the first day usually sorts out the unprepared.

22 minutes ago, ajnkzn said:

Like with Comrades etc?

Geld , baie Geld

The cape epic website has a Qualifiaction tab. When you click on it , it takes you to an advertorial of other events in the portfolio. Once you read it you have qualified to pay ZAR113750 to enter for 2025.

this is all very similar to PetroSa RFPs…

3 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Are they really riding down the same trail people are supposed to go up ????

wtffffff

Isn't the rule of thumb or the so called trail etiquette state that riders riding downhill should yield to the ones heading uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic...O ja, and use your bell to warn others...🤫

3 hours ago, Stephan said:

Is there a leading motorbike uphead that would give these backmarkers a warning that the pro's are coming? They would obviously hear the helicopter as well, but this looks like a route-planning mess. The backmarkers are going to bundu-bash up that trail now because there is going to be a constant stream of riders coming down. 

Yes, 2 x Lead motorcyclists on scramblers that ride well ahead and check trail markings are correct, gates are open etc. etc. They would have given those hikers ample warning.

Certainly not an ideal scenario though and heads will probably roll tonight 🤣

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

You really want me to answer that. 😂😂

this morning they would have been cursing like unpaid sailors as they hiked their bikes up that climb

I think it would be a close call, I still have nightmares about that climb though and it was many years ago that I did it!

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

The cape epic website has a Qualifiaction tab. When you click on it , it takes you to an advertorial of other events in the portfolio. Once you read it you have qualified to pay ZAR113750 to enter for 2025.

this is all very similar to PetroSa RFPs…

Don't talk to me about RFPs for SEOs 🤣🤣

Rather pay the R114k and struggle my b@llz off pretending I can ride a stage or 2 of the Epic, wait maybe just the prologue  🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Take a moment for the riders who still need to get to 60km ( of which i'm betting there's atleast 10 )

One of those teams is a good friend of mine. They don’t look they’re going to make it to WP3 before the cutoff. I don’t know why she’s tamed does this to their riders. Where’s the coaching???

12 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Take a moment for the riders who still need to get to 60km ( of which i'm betting there's atleast 10 )

the live timing is not so easy to navigate this year.

if you dnf at a waterpoint, i guess thta means you got there and pulled out.

there must still be like 40+ teams with timing still at WP2 Welgemeen (47km), but not yet tracked at WP3(70km).

They've been going for at least 6:30 hours now. What's the cut-off going to be?

still a climb out of WP3 to then go down the wapad, they will be struggling.

It honestly blows my mind that someone signs up for this when they must know they won't finish.

Sure lots of people have 135k to just throw away casually twice a week but even when you're ready and fit you know there's going to be some suffering involved 

Starting so late is definitely a crappy spanner to be thrown by the organizer but surely if you can't make it halfway by 13:00 on stage 2 then you should never have even been allowed to start on Sunday