the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

23 minutes ago, dev null said:

Seems Speed Company Racing saw my comments about their performance. 🙂

Seems like you had no idea what you were talking about calling them out on being all talk... 

🙂

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Free or not, coverage is really poor, especially todays. Really spotty with lots of fillers.

Ladies race seems like they are not riding today, as all the focus (the little bit there was) is on the men.

The ladies are nearing the finish, but they go to highlights of the men and interviews. Surely this can be done once the racing is done. 

I cannot recall it being this bad previous years.

1. Charge R 109 900.00 per team for an 8-day stage race

2. Make the first 3 days brutal

3. 120 teams drop out 

4. Profit

The Ghost ladies are without doubt the team to beat in the ladies race.

speed company have 8 min to win back. They have to attack tomorrow 

16 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Free or not, coverage is really poor, especially todays. Really spotty with lots of fillers.

Ladies race seems like they are not riding today, as all the focus (the little bit there was) is on the men.

The ladies are nearing the finish, but they go to highlights of the men and interviews. Surely this can be done once the racing is done. 

I cannot recall it being this bad previous years.

Other years the same thing happen. The mens podium and highlight are shown when the ladies race is at the peak. It just feels like basics they are not getting right.

Thank goodness Cecil Nurse isn't a sponsor!

Let's hope tomorrow's is better, as they are doing the Imbuko trails. 

10 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Let's hope tomorrow's is better, as they are doing the Imbuko trails. 

Tomorrow will suit Mona and Candice. 
Anne is a strong climber too.

Sophia may struggle but we’ll see. She and Samara are surprising me more everyday

Hopefully we get to see some of it.

The highlight reel of the Ladies race they ran just now, was about all of the footage we got to see this morning. 😖

Sorry, just a bit grumpy as I'm confined to my house following a back operation and was looking forward to at least watch people riding their bikes while I'm not allowed to.

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

This is how I would run it.

village 1:100% capacity

village 2:60% capacity + 20% contingency

village 3:50% capacity + 20% contingency

More people pull out than expected and you save on the contingency allocation, which is not paid for upfront. I don't know if they work out beforehand if you're staying in the tent village or BnB yourself, but they must be a critical count on the first night to see how many unallocated tents there are.

But where are you actually saving money? Food is contracted out so thats the contractor's profit/loss, tents you already have, venue is a field.. Not sure on what you can meaningful save on by allowing in your planning for competitors to drop out?

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Good question. Food is already booked and paid for. The have a demand curve based on previous events so they already know how the meals demand tapers off after day2. No saving there.

tents are already bought and paid for. man hours is covered by volunteers, who pay to be there if I recall correctly.

i think it’s just about maintaining the #untamed epicness mystique 

Correction... Man hours paid for by volunteers... 

First Time Volunteers pays R 3800 for their time and Return Volunteers pays R 1000 but they get the following:

• Tented accommodation in the Absa Cape Epic rider village
  • Breakfast and dinner in the race village with the riders
  • Daily Woolworths lunch pack (except Prologue and Grand Finale)
  • Volunteer T-shirt
  • Complimentary Grand Finale Picnic Lunch Voucher
  • Transport between stages (if required)
  • Ticket to the Around the World Party (Friday before Rider Registration)
  • Reserved entry for the following year's race

1 hour ago, peepeekaitjie said:

1. Charge R 109 900.00 per team for an 8-day stage race

2. Make the first 3 days brutal

3. 120 teams drop out 

4. Profit

Nope. Everything is accounted for. Also, gross turnover from a thumbsuck of entries doesn't equate to net profit. 

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Fillers are on repeat now

Fini’s chain issues are not a good advert for Shimano. None of the front running SRAM teams have had this sort of mechanical issue

🍿🥤

Fini is running sram 

3 hours ago, Jbr said:

yeaaah... I'm running those on the gravel bike, must say they don't last very long, I'd probably avoid them if I was at that level in such kind of race. But if they paid my salary then... I'd just make sure to put a fresh one every day and bring spare quicklinks with 😜

IMHO

If it aint broken don’t F*** with it. Replace it a week before CE and during the epic give it a clean and lube… without removing it. Bicycle chains don’t just break, and when they do it’s usually down to human behaviour, excessive cross chaining or chain removal.

Removing and installing a chain everyday is a recipe for failure, even when the work is performed by a professional mechanic.

Rant over 

Edited by SwissVan

12 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

IMHO

If it aint broken don’t F*** with it. Replace it a week before CE and during the epic give it a clean and lube… without removing it. Bicycle chains don’t just break, and when they do it’s usually down to human behaviour, excessive cross chaining or chain removal.

Removing and installing a chain everyday is a recipe for failure, even when the work is performed by a professional mechanic.

Rant over 

Honestly I agree with this 101%