SA Road & TT Champs 2024

FootballingCyclist

20 hours ago, Block said:

I always though this is a closed championship - it is South Africa Road Championship. How is it possible for UK cyclist to take part in this event

🙈

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, babse said:

This is awkward.

🤣

Luckily I did not get a medal 😜

Looks like Ryan Gibbons has a lead at the 165km timing point, having completed it 2-min quicker (from 120km point) than anyone else.

IMG_2740.png

21 minutes ago, babse said:

So how did the elite race playout anyone?

Splits everywhere, hard to understand how many breakaway there were but apparently Tristan was always up there, then Gibbons caught and there was the two of them until Gibbons checked out

Some quick finish line snaps - Elite Ladies sprint between Hayleen Preen (Freewheel Cycology) and Carla Oberholzer (Cycle Nation/Sandton City) 

U23 Men sprint Jaedon Terlouw (Pyga Eurosteel) and Travis Stedman (Q36.5). Alan Hatherly in background. 

Elite Men - Ryan Gibbons (Trek Lidl)  Tristan Nortje (Honeycomb) Morne van Niekerk (St Michel/Mavic/Auber93) 

F76FF01B-8F85-42D0-95C9-269E17920E37.jpeg

IMG_9806.jpeg.16a11eebe15ed8df381a157f6b3d150d.jpeg

61692423-5C4A-40C7-85DC-E7E2EF4017AC.jpeg

IMG_9805.jpeg.0f2b4759e2077e0c889eebb7f9b0217e.jpeg

IMG_9794.jpeg

Edited by Danger Dassie

Was in the convoy

Break went up the road and managed 5 min at some point. Tristan was in there no other threats.

On the last lap the gap came down. On the road leading to SBR there wasa crossswind from right to left. The pace got hard en the peleton was strung out and then gaps appeared - those out of position lost out and got into scattered bunches.

Tristan was lone leader with 2 mins or so. At that stage also Ryan got away. Into the reserve it all fel apart. The bunch was down to about 12and they were dropping one by one. 

Morne got away slowly and was thus 3rd on the road.

The remaining small bunch out of the reserve was only Reinie, Marc and 3 u23s (who ended up sprinting for their own podium).

So Ryan did catch Tristan at the exit and rode away. Won by like 2 mins from Tristan who was in front of Morne.

Edited by Zeffer

1 hour ago, Zeffer said:

Was in the convoy

Break went up the road and managed 5 min at some point. Tristan was in there no other threats.

On the last lap the gap came down. On the road leading to SBR there wasa crossswind from right to left. The pace got hard en the peleton was strung out and then gaps appeared - those out of position lost out and got into scattered bunches.

Tristan was lone leader with 2 mins or so. At that stage also Ryan got away. Into the reserve it all fel apart. The bunch was down to about 12and they were dropping one by one. 

Morne got away slowly and was thus 3rd on the road.

The remaining small bunch out of the reserve was only Reinie, Marc and 3 u23s (who ended up sprinting for their own podium).

So Ryan did catch Tristan at the exit and rode away. Won by like 2 mins from Tristan who was in front of Morne.

Since you were in the convoy, I'll ask your opinion as well. Did this make any difference to the outcome of the result? Was Pritzen working with Ryan or was he just marking him or is Gibbons just on another level that it would've made no difference? My angle is did it help Gibbons narrow the gab which allowed him to bridge later?

image.png.9095c71365b83b6a293db499dd1d4ff6.png

On 2/5/2024 at 2:33 PM, milky4130 said:

Since you were in the convoy, I'll ask your opinion as well. Did this make any difference to the outcome of the result? Was Pritzen working with Ryan or was he just marking him or is Gibbons just on another level that it would've made no difference? My angle is did it help Gibbons narrow the gab which allowed him to bridge later?

image.png.9095c71365b83b6a293db499dd1d4ff6.png

Sorry only saw this now. Ryan was upping the pace got away from the peleton - dont recall Marc staying with him long though - Marc was back in the chasing bunch into the reserve

On 2/2/2024 at 8:19 PM, FootballingCyclist said:

Saw that, Extremely sad.

Also of SA's brightest young riders with previous national honours both of the road and track, Jessie Munton was hit by a vehicle whilst on a training camp. It happened 2 weeks ago and the last update from her brother Byron was that she was still in an induced Coma (this was the start of this week if memory serves).

https://www.backabuddy.co.za/champion/project/jessie-munton-5834745534688430810