SA Road & TT Champs 2024

FootballingCyclist

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, BMCfan said:

Miles, the Junior champ averaged over 48km/h over the 22km course.

Thats damn impressive

Great kid that and only landed in SA the day before for TT Nationals. more impressive 

1 hour ago, Block said:

That banner just say so much about Cycling RSA that I would not comment any further.

I always though this is a closed championship - it is South Africa Road Championship. How is it possible for UK cyclist to take part in this event

It’s not that uncommon for federations to have foreign nationals competing in their National Title event, they don’t get awarded the national jersey however, if they get a result.

Personally don’t see the issue, bit of international presence adds to the racing surely? Particularly if they’re a regular feature locally throughout the season.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Maroesjka Matthee was going to be the team manager for a number of Western Cape riders.  But she was hospitalised as a result of a hit-and-run incident in Worcester.  Thankfully eyewitnesses gave chase and the perp did not get away.  Not that it makes any difference as she cant be there for her team members.  

BEST wishes to the riders.

Sorry to hear, that’s pretty swak. Hope they throw the book at that pos!

9 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Sorry to hear, that’s pretty swak. Hope they throw the book at that pos!

Sounds like tibia and fibia is badly damaged (jip, broad term)

But she is in good spirits.  May be home already, or shortly.

10 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Sounds like tibia and fibia is badly damaged (jip, broad term)

But she is in good spirits.  May be home already, or shortly.

Sending regards, would have been a good presence at champs, more importantly wishing a strong healthy recovery!

4 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

IMG_9717.jpeg.eca11ca286b45380f96338a8f7b9ff31.jpegJa, it’s a bit sad that practically nobody is aware of the event as such, unless you’re a core road rider. 
Which is a pity because there’s a lot of good work and effort into the organisation, plus the potential of the venue.

Aside from the lack of SA Cycling media, there’s no basic programme (you need to download a 25page handbook) and telegram are immediately off putting to outside interest.

For those looking for the race trail handbook:
https://www.cyclingsa.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=shareonedrive-download&dl=1&id=01FO6OWQOZQ5VGKAASI5AKIZSEMHLX3PQY&drive_id=b!GXYskvQYw0Oh-bcCrkE34tU6NwAoA4dMkM-xkmnZ5RHZ-PJTtZMMQ6ZSHoFpMtEg&account_id=68035cea-c584-4ef8-90b6-f1ca726f5b4e&listtoken=8d85c95559e7b298b71879e9917ef945

4 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Bannergate sorted … 

IMG_9735.png

LOL yeah was coming out to post todays Podium Banner, Clearly enough was said on social media for them to feel embarrassed enough to change it!!

Proper waste of money then!!

20240202_200805.jpg

Just now, FootballingCyclist said:

LOL yeah was coming out to post todays Podium Banner, Clearly enough was said on social media for them to feel embarrassed enough to change it!!

Proper waste of money then!!

20240202_200805.jpg

It’s embarrassing yes, but it’s just a banner, sometimes people will latch onto something like a rabid dog and run with it.  Overall the event is actually running well on the ground, credit where it’s due.

5 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

It’s embarrassing yes, but it’s just a banner, sometimes people will latch onto something like a rabid dog and run with it.  Overall the event is actually running well on the ground, credit where it’s due.

Yeah look credit where it's due. Several mates are there and none have any complaints of the event itself, the way it's being run, the organization etc etc so kudos to them for that.

Edited by FootballingCyclist

7 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Maroesjka Matthee was going to be the team manager for a number of Western Cape riders.  But she was hospitalised as a result of a hit-and-run incident in Worcester.  Thankfully eyewitnesses gave chase and the perp did not get away.  Not that it makes any difference as she cant be there for her team members.  

Saw that, Extremely sad.

Also of SA's brightest young riders with previous national honours both of the road and track, Jessie Munton was hit by a vehicle whilst on a training camp. It happened 2 weeks ago and the last update from her brother Byron was that she was still in an induced Coma (this was the start of this week if memory serves).

Thanks for updates. Keep it rolling for ballie races tomorrow and kids on sunday.

Any links to livestreams/socials will be great too. 

19 hours ago, ChrisF said:

No man she’s had the worst luck the past couple of years, can’t believe it.