Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

2 hours ago, dexterdent said:

2.12 annoyed me so much that I exercised a lot to get a good seeding just to avoid the muppets blasting Kurt Darren up Chappies.

So thanks I guess.

There are/is 1 or 2 gents that do this on our morning rides. I’m not a fan at all. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

There are/is 1 or 2 gents that do this on our morning rides. I’m not a fan at all. 

I've seen guys with those cylindrical speakers mounted on the bike and they blast the most hideous tunes out, purportedly to create 'gees'.

To them I say, "boet, leave it at home. No one likes it".

23 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I've seen guys with those cylindrical speakers mounted on the bike and they blast the most hideous tunes out, purportedly to create 'gees'.

Riding 947 alongside a gentleman from Durban, and this kid with a backpack kept flying past us and then we’d pass him back later, and then a while later he would fly past us again, and so on for a long time.. we are chatting quite a lot and eventually the Durban gent tells me that he started with that oke and the backpack has a big speaker in it.. the speaker apparently worked for like 3 songs.🤣🤣🤣 and now he’s just stuck with it..

I giggled a lot

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I've named it Haylett's Law - the quality of music played in public is inversely proportional to the volume.

It's almost universally accurate.

5 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Yeah, it seems they have changed the Amish bike rules and made a far bigger deal about the E-bikes now.

It used to specify a free wheel and 1 break 

Seems the advent of E-bikes has shifted the focus

Third year with the same ebike rules.

Most important one is not listed above ....

Ebikes completing CTCT in less than 3:50 is disqualified.

15 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

It used to specify a free wheel and 1 break 

Intentional?
or
Glass-house!

1 minute ago, Akon said:

Intentional?
or
Glass-house!

Very intentional.. One has to keep the chirps going, especially with family.....

On 10/5/2023 at 2:10 PM, Bub Marley said:

As a seasoned cyclist myself and one that has done all of these detours, let me educate all of you 😀.

There was 1 detour over ou kaapse and and then Constantianek. After that, they deemed constantianek too dangerous and rather opted to go back up the M3 again. I think we had 2 or 3 of them up the M3. So if they are going to use the detour, then I’m certain it would be that route and not through Constantia.

The actual route itself went from the M3 onto Boyes Drive, as the road leading into Kalk Bay, Fish Hoek was also under maintenance. So basically we went, M3 to Boyes Drive then over Smits around Misty Cliffs and then instead of going left to Chappies, we went straight over Ou Kaapse. 

That would definitely be how they do it. Going up red hill and then black hill to Ou Kaapse will just be chaos. They wont do that.

As a season Argustine I can categorically state that the Argust detour never went via Constantia nek.

also you are confusing the Boyes drive option with the fire induced out kaapse weg detour . 

the detour was implemented in 2000 through 2003 due to a severe fire that ravaged the southern peninsula. Chapman’s Peak was so badly razed that the pass was closed from the end of 1999 through to early 2004. The 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 Argusts where called the Detours 

enter 2007 and Victoria road M4 is closed from April 2007 through to 2016 due to extensive rebuild , corruption, further rebuild, another dash of corruption and rebuild. Some of those tours went over Boyes drive as the road was not navigable at all times. I recall 2010 and 2011 went over Boyes then I took a cycling break so not sure which of the 2012 and 2013 argusts went over Boyes.

but it has never ever gone over Constantia Nek. The Republic of Hawt Bay would impose a trade blockade if that had been allowed with dire consequences for the western cape economy. Just think, where would we get our weed!!!!?!!

On 2/1/2024 at 10:01 AM, babse said:

damn i missed the entry date for this event... wooops

Ditto….🤔

On 2/3/2024 at 8:35 AM, DieselnDust said:

As a season Argustine I can categorically state that the Argust detour never went via Constantia nek.

also you are confusing the Boyes drive option with the fire induced out kaapse weg detour . 

the detour was implemented in 2000 through 2003 due to a severe fire that ravaged the southern peninsula. Chapman’s Peak was so badly razed that the pass was closed from the end of 1999 through to early 2004. The 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 Argusts where called the Detours 

enter 2007 and Victoria road M4 is closed from April 2007 through to 2016 due to extensive rebuild , corruption, further rebuild, another dash of corruption and rebuild. Some of those tours went over Boyes drive as the road was not navigable at all times. I recall 2010 and 2011 went over Boyes then I took a cycling break so not sure which of the 2012 and 2013 argusts went over Boyes.

but it has never ever gone over Constantia Nek. The Republic of Hawt Bay would impose a trade blockade if that had been allowed with dire consequences for the western cape economy. Just think, where would we get our weed!!!!?!!

Yeah if you read a bit further on, you’d have seen I realised my mistake. 

Right, so my mate is doing his 21st CTCT in March. We started riding together many years back, somehwere along the line I skipped one that he did, so my 21st is next year.

Anyway, he is very unfit and refuses to have me ride slowly with him, but I think it would be awesome if we cross the line together.

So what I'm thinking of doing is riding my race, then cycle back to somewhere along the route, for instance Camps Bay or somewhere else easily accessible, and then ride with him to the end.

My question is 2 fold

a) other than doing the entire route a second time, where would be the easiest place to cycle back to ? I dont really want to be that guy cycling in the opposite direction to everyone else, so somewhere with an alternative route to get to.

b) what will happen with my timing when I cross the finish line a second time an hour or 2 after I crossed it the first time ?

5 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

My question is 2 fold

a) other than doing the entire route a second time, where would be the easiest place to cycle back to ? I dont really want to be that guy cycling in the opposite direction to everyone else, so somewhere with an alternative route to get to.

b) what will happen with my timing when I cross the finish line a second time an hour or 2 after I crossed it the first time ?

A - Take a MyCiti over Kloof nek to Camps Bay. 
b - nothing, if you remove your timing chip beforehand and hand it someone who can keep it for you.

12 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Right, so my mate is doing his 21st CTCT in March. We started riding together many years back, somehwere along the line I skipped one that he did, so my 21st is next year.

Anyway, he is very unfit and refuses to have me ride slowly with him, but I think it would be awesome if we cross the line together.

So what I'm thinking of doing is riding my race, then cycle back to somewhere along the route, for instance Camps Bay or somewhere else easily accessible, and then ride with him to the end.

My question is 2 fold

Return via V&A, Lighthouse, then along the prominade .....

Wait for him in Sea point and enjoy the last bit with him.

PS - You will (may) see a couple of e-bikes at the end of Sea Point waiting out their 3:50 before the last 500m to the end.  There are various open spots between groups of riders to cross the road and then you can ride out as far as you want.

As noted, remove your chip .... AND cover up your race number on your helmet ....

ENJOY

Removing chip is not so easy with the new chips as they are cable tied on. Might have to leave some side cutters in the car, cycle back to the car, cut chip off and then be on my way.