Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

2 hours ago, tinmug said:

@Phillippe Coetzee Use an app called Windy and/or Windfinder. This will give you a better idea of the slog to Cape Point. Last I looked 20 knots of breeze – enough for white caps on the water – but not too bad. Really just classic old Argus weather.

Don't stress about the wind. The temperature looks fine, and the wind helps you on the other side of the peninsula (it actually helps you everywhere by keeping temps down).

Have a good ride. 👍

Thank you ☺️ super excited!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

Enjoy it bud, I've been down once and DNF'd, I was beyond upset. We still had a pretty enjoyable weekend in WC though.

Aww that sucks, but yeah the Cape is something else, last time I was in CPT was in 2010.. 

Will share my thoughts post race 👀

4 hours ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Wind looks rough early morning

I am only starting 8:45 so maybe it settles a bit, hopefully 🤞🏼 

Can you send another update on Saterday please ? 😊

It’s not gonna change much till Sunday so I would just prepare myself for that forecast.

That’s pretty standard Cape weather as well. At least the second half will be lekker fast with that tailwind.

Enjoy your race. Just some advice here in terms of danger spots. I would focus on 2 areas -

Hospital bend right at the beginning is always a dangerous descent. It’s short but super fast. 

The descent after Smitswinkel. Especially with that forecast, the descent is always fast but will be even faster with that tailwind. You can easily hit speeds of over 80kmh on that stretch and it’s a pretty long stretch as well so just be careful there.

13 hours ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

How is the weather looking Sunday ? 

it is pointless checking anytime more than 48hours out....

but hey, admin needs the hitcount on this thread...

3 hours ago, Scary Rider said:

So...we're on the road again!🤪 The long awaited "Argus trip" is underway.

ChrisF's beloved Potch train is heading his way. Can't wait to see our friends again😘

Us too. Just cruised through Hanover

Interesting email -

IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN RESPECT OF E-BIKES AT THE CAPE TOWN CYCLE TOUR 109 KM IN 2024

·       NO E-BIKES ARE PERMITTED IN ANY START GROUP STARTING EARLIER THAN GROUP 3A.

·       ALL E-BIKE PARTICIPANTS TO ENSURE THAT THEY HAVE ENTERED AS RIDING ON AN E-BIKE AND THAT THEIR REAR RACE NUMBERS ARE MARKED WITH AN ORANGE STICKER. THIS STICKER WILL ALREADY BE ON YOUR RACE NUMBER PROVIDED YOU DID INDICATE THAT YOU WERE PARTICIPATING ON AN E-BIKE WHEN ENTERING.

·       SHOULD YOUR RACE NUMBER NOT HAVE AN ORANGE STICKER THIS CAN BE OBTAINED FROM THE QUERIES COUNTER AT REGISTRATION.

·       NO E-BIKE PARTICIPANT MAY COMPLETE THE COURSE IN A TIME FASTER THAN 3hrs 50min.

·       THERE WILL BE E-BIKE MARSHALLS WITHIN THE START PRECINCT TO ENSURE COMPLIANCE.

We encourage everyone to read the following in respect of e-bike inclusion and participation.

Since its inception in 1978, the Cape Town Cycle Tour has embraced inclusion for all riders and all types of bicycle. The early years were rich in space-age recumbent machines that would often beat the professional riders by many minutes. We have welcomed trikes, unicycles, even a pair of penny-farthings. And in the halcyon years of tandem racing, in the late 90s, more than 1 000 teams would sign up and line up for the most beautiful race on the planet.

Most recently, our attention has been focussed on the e-bike explosion, and the thousands of new cyclists pedal-assist machines continue to bring to our beautiful sport. We have created some separate rules for e-bikes, and their riders, to follow, which are in the general rules you all accepted when you entered the 2024, but some of them bear repeating if we are to keep on the path of successful inclusion for all.

RESPONSIBILITY

E-bikes offer riders some significant advantages, specifically on the climbs where many newer riders are unaware of the speed differential they have over a normal bike. We have had very few real-world problems with this – partly because we keep the seeding system in place so that relatively experienced riders ride with each other, but also because many riders understand that the power wasted hooliganning up Wynberg Hill may well turn to walking up Suikerbossie with a dead battery.

But as battery life gets better, and riders take up Giant Bicycles’ generous battery-swap function just short of Noordhoek, the risk of running out of power is reduced and temptation rises… we ask all e-bike riders to keep the spirit of the event in mind and smell just as many roses as the riders around you. It isn’t a race, especially for e-bike riders. The Cape Town Cycle Tour is a celebration of pedalling the most spectacular roads in a safe, happy environment.

IDENTIFICATION

For the 2024 event, all registered e-bike riders will have an orange stickers on their back number for ease of identification. Any e-bike rider without the orange dot will be required to have an orange dot applied in the start chute, where their category will be updated on our systems to e-bike, and will be required to move back to 3A or lower, if they are in a higher seeded group.

We will have experienced marshals checking bikes entering the start chutes in 2024, to make sure the few errors of omission – deliberate or unintentional – are identified and categorisation is spot-on for the safety and happiness of both the e-bikers and the normally-aspirated cyclists around them.

There is still time at registration to make sure you are correctly categorised – if you are riding an e-bike (maybe you weren’t going to, but now are, or possibly you missed the tick-box in the registration process) no matter – we aren’t angry, we just want the safest outcome for all riders. If you are riding an e-bike and you haven’t entered as one, you need to let us know at registration so we can update you on the system.

If you are riding an e-bike and starting earlier 3A, you will need to drop back to that group, or further, to be allowed to start. We can facilitate this easily and swiftly at registration.

Please remember that e-bikes may not complete the 109km route faster than 3 hours and 50 minutes – we have calculated this with some actuarial input as a fair trade off between the fitness of a fast rider on a fully-legal 250w e-bike, and to date it has seemed to be a fine cut-off with very few riders arriving earlier than that time. The penalty, however, for finishing faster than 3h50 is disqualification, so if you are on a pearler of a ride, please just make sure you keep an eye on your time.

ACOUSTIC RIDERS

For cyclists on regular bikes, acoustic they might be called in a musical world, who are worried about the impact e-bikes might have in the earlier start groups, rest assured we are doing our best to make sure your race will be run fairly.

E-bikes in groups earlier then 3A will either be there by mistake on their rider’s behalf, not reading or understanding the rules properly upon entry, or (far less likely) because they are taking a chance. We will have marshals on the start chute gates checking bikes as they come in, but it is a busy time and many of the newer road e-bikes look remarkably like fat-tubed ‘normal’ road bikes, so there is a possibility some might make it through.

Self-policing is the only way we can ask you to help us redirect these riders to their correct start groups. Please encourage them to go back to the start gate and ask the marshals for help acquiring a special orange dot and moving back to a more appropriate start group so they can be integrated correctly to our timing systems. Very few will take exception to being shown the correct path when a genuine mistake has been made, and out marshals are fully briefed and equipped to make the process quick and simple.

WHAT A DAY!

As we have streamlined our e-bike rules and systems over the FIVE years they have been permitted at the Cycle Tour, so we have been able to get a tab on the real numbers of pedal-assist riders joining the rest of us on this magnificent day out. It is significant, and vitally important to the future of the event as e-bike numbers rise into the thousands, that we all welcome ANY new rider to the Cape Town Cycle Tour.

The original Argus Tour cocked a snoot at the draconian Apartheid laws with its first event in 1978 being open to all riders, no matter their colour, race, creed or any other nonsensical classification. As an event, that spirit of inclusivity has remained unchallenged for 45 years.

We all have a role to play in keeping that spirit going; whether we are personally pro or anti this revolution on cycling, it is here to stay and allowing so many people access to the joy, health and passion we all have for two-wheeled adventure. Good luck on Sunday, see you at the finish in Green Point!

47 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

it is pointless checking anytime more than 48hours out....

but hey, admin needs the hitcount on this thread...

I would say when you wake up Sunday morning, look out the window .... anything other than that is a merely a calculated guess doesn't matter who it comes from 🤪

On 3/6/2024 at 9:06 AM, Shebeen said:

sort of totally unrelated, but thought I'd throw this comment in here:

Twenty years ago, the Dusi K2 years used to have almost 1000 boats finishing (977 in 2002, 969 in 2004, and 970 in 2006) but with the steady decline in participation ever since, only 207 boats finished this year. The Dusi may not attract the same sort of numbers it used to, but it remains as iconic as ever and all who went will tell you what a fantastic event it still is. Well done to Andy Birkett and Matt Fenn on taking the win ahead of local favourites Mtolo and Khwela by over 6 minutes. Andy is now just one win away from equaling the Popes incredible record of 15 Dusi titles.

Just a coincidence, I was at the local canoe club yesterday chatting to the carbon fiber repair guy. He mentioned that they are losing paddlers to 2 things .... cycling (mostly MTB) and due to the poor quality of water, both river and dams

2 hours ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Thank you ☺️ super excited!

Actually the best app is Epic Ride Weather. You can download it from the app store. If you live in CTN you quickly learn to obey its forecast. It forecasts conditions for your ride . You put in the track/route you are going (integrates with Strava)  and start times and the speed and it gives you the forecast, wind rain, altitude temperature etc. Wind directions, all there. . Having said that i am not sure you really want to look at it. The South Easter wind speed is increasing at simonstown (20 gusting to 48)  so the ride to Smits is going to be a bit challenging to say the least.  A 7 to 10 kmh headwins is enough to make you very tired so a constant 20 is hard core.

FWIW I have my wife's ebike and 2 x batteries for the highest bidders #justsaying 🙂

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

It’s not gonna change much till Sunday so I would just prepare myself for that forecast.

That’s pretty standard Cape weather as well. At least the second half will be lekker fast with that tailwind.

Enjoy your race. Just some advice here in terms of danger spots. I would focus on 2 areas -

Hospital bend right at the beginning is always a dangerous descent. It’s short but super fast. 

The descent after Smitswinkel. Especially with that forecast, the descent is always fast but will be even faster with that tailwind. You can easily hit speeds of over 80kmh on that stretch and it’s a pretty long stretch as well so just be careful there.

yep and the Smits descent is bumpy so at high speed those undulations can unseat you. Seen some bad crashes there.

Ride carefully

the entrance in to scarborough is also very fast so unless you are going for a time keep your head about you. Also bottom of Chappies is tight and fast just before Chapmans peak hotel. 

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

Us too. Just cruised through Hanover

Safe travels💪

1 hour ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I would say when you wake up Sunday morning, look out the window .... anything other than that is a merely a calculated guess doesn't matter who it comes from 🤪

I can remember last year a fellow hubber, can't remember who😱, said we'll know the day's weather at km 106...

1 hour ago, babse said:

so whos first to feedback on goodie bags...

👀

😅 a bag of Fritos , a Bokomo protein bar, (both only expiring after May)  and a small pot of Arnica. All actually stuff I'll use. Goodie bag is meagre, but not bad,  compared to last year when I got an expired chocolate and a bag of simba chips that was open. 

6 minutes ago, Vaultboy said:

😅 a bag of Fritos , a Bokomo protein bar, (both only expiring after May)  and a small pot of Arnica. All actually stuff I'll use. Goodie bag is meagre, but not bad,  compared to last year when I got an expired chocolate and a bag of simba chips that was open. 

There was alcohol in the Cape Town Marathon "goodie" bag (I think it was a beer and/or some other drink) – here's hoping... 🤔😂