Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

My first sub 3 was on a 53/42 12-21 8 speed set up. Wolber TX 32H hard anodised rims.

those were the days when men were men and knees were nervous

My next bike is a cannondale super six Evo SE. One bike for all the western cape roads

My next frame will most definitely be a gravel bike frame. When the money allows. I need to build me a 2 wheeled manually powered version of a Fortuner to handle the New Souf Afrikan roads.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just have two issues/questions about the CTCT, why would the organisers only allow one coke and one water at the finish line? I did not need to stop at any of the water points yet I am allowed one coke at the finish? Seriously, that could be done better.

My other issue, the CTCT trust is boasting about plowing in Rx millions into the western cape, why of why can't some of that funds be allocated to fix some of the roads? Friends of mine had some horrific crashes (written off bikes, cracked helmets, personal injuries the works) and I had a close call or two due to bad road surface. Nothing like doing over 50km/h and then hit a a bad section in the tar that takes you airborne, and the altering your voice a few octaves higher for the rest of the day.

Is it just me, or is the above two points also a concern for others?

I totally agee, I mean they could atleast throw in a boerewors roll as well. Also totally unacceptable that wind. I paid a lot of money to enter & the least they could have done is block the wind out for a few hours on Sunday.

5 hours ago, Denis Dell said:

I just have two issues/questions about the CTCT, why would the organisers only allow one coke and one water at the finish line? I did not need to stop at any of the water points yet I am allowed one coke at the finish? Seriously, that could be done better.

My other issue, the CTCT trust is boasting about plowing in Rx millions into the western cape, why of why can't some of that funds be allocated to fix some of the roads? Friends of mine had some horrific crashes (written off bikes, cracked helmets, personal injuries the works) and I had a close call or two due to bad road surface. Nothing like doing over 50km/h and then hit a a bad section in the tar that takes you airborne, and the altering your voice a few octaves higher for the rest of the day.

Dunno, I took two cokes at the finish. One at first table, finished it while walking through and another on a whim at the last table, so no issues there 🤷

8 hours ago, Scary Rider said:

So, as most of you gathered, the Potch train went to Cape Town in almost full force. If I must write a "race report" for the whole long weekend, it would be a week's worth of reading.

We tried to squeeze a year's catching up and sightseeing into 3 days. A BIG thank you to @ChrisF for his efforts to make our stay interesting and fun. 

My race was very slow and kinda crap. But I expected it after last year's fall from the ladder at work, and still doing the rehab thing. 

So I went out with the mindset of taking the day as it comes, surviving it, and take home what needs to be done to get back to my previous level. I'll be following @Phillippe Coetzeeand @DieselnDust's conversation for some pointers. 

I did enjoy the banter and crowds as always. Being so slow I had more time to take it in. 

We are already busy with next year's accomodation and sightseeing plans. 

Like Terminator says: I'll be back!

I am also back all the time to see if there is something I missed 😂 Going to test some bikes over the next 2 weeks, just not sure if I want to go Gravel bike and Hardtail or Road Bike and Hardtail..

Choices 😵

5 hours ago, Denis Dell said:

... yet I am allowed one coke at the finish? 

... why of why can't some of that funds be allocated to fix some of the roads? Friends of mine had some horrific crashes (written off bikes, cracked helmets, personal injuries the works) and I had a close call or two due to bad road surface. Nothing like doing over 50km/h and then hit a a bad section in the tar that takes you airborne, and the altering your voice a few octaves higher for the rest of the day.

A birdie told me that the organisers contemplated a route change so that the finish would be at the Coke factory. In an industrial area. Where you can Coke until you throw up. But the statistics chaps determined that those people who complain about everything will say it's not scenic enough and their precious bicycle was stolen.

Or they can have a conveyor belt from the factory right to the finish. And call it the Coca-Cola Cycle Pursuit (CCCP). 

Or you can stop along the way and guzzle Coke to your heart's content (hint: your heart doesn't appreciate Coke). Or, hey here's an idea, cross the street and BUY Coke at the finish. 😛

Fix the roads? They did actually; talk is they were out the night before the race started patching potholes. This is Africa mate, potholes are part of the character of the place. Don't like 'em? Use your mountain bike. 

And as for the voice octave adjustment: you are only doing your share in entertaining the spectators. 👏

11 minutes ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

I am also back all the time to see if there is something I missed 😂 Going to test some bikes over the next 2 weeks, just not sure if I want to go Gravel bike and Hardtail or Road Bike and Hardtail..

Choices 😵

You've already got a very nice dualsus, so instead of getting two new bikes, I would recommend getting a really good gravel bike, with an extra road wheelset. Then you're set for XC, gravel and road. 

35 minutes ago, Vaultboy said:

You've already got a very nice dualsus, so instead of getting two new bikes, I would recommend getting a really good gravel bike, with an extra road wheelset. Then you're set for XC, gravel and road. 

This

6 hours ago, Denis Dell said:

We get a large can of coke AND 500ml bottle of water at the finish - not too long ago, we only got a small paper cup of coke with ice and a few bees. I see that as a HUGE improvement.

And road quality ?
Cape Town has some marvellous road and a few crappy sections. Out of 109km, there might be some rough patches and a few bumps. Not too terrible in my opinion (give that this is the Southern Top of Africa and all).
I haven't done the 94.7 or Amashova, so can't compare their roads.

Also, people don't need bad roads to crash on. It seems that they can do that on perfectly flat, smooth and straight roads all on their own!

7 hours ago, Denis Dell said:

Have you seen the roads in the rest of the country? When last have you been to the EC? GP? NW? LP? hell…london UK?? Lol
The roads here are great.

We all know some of the roadworks around the peninsula are due to recent flooding and fires. A few months ago roads around chapmans peak and other parts weren't even open, not even traversable due to landslides. I think they did pretty well given the hand they were dealt. 

Im sure we can buy you a coke and a water if it will make things better? 

Edited by MORNE

On 3/11/2024 at 2:33 PM, Cheabb78 said:

Question to those around the 3hr mark, what sort of NP (w/kg)  for the duration does it require to achieve this?

There's just too many permutations at play here, since wind speeds to name one will have you all over the road.

In my opinion you must have a dash of luck in terms of good seeding, be fit, and "trap" your steed like it is the last Argus ever. 

AND, by the way, I have been "around" the 3hr mark a few times ☝️

10 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Have you seen the roads in the rest of the country? When last have you been to the EC? GP? NW? LP? hell…london UK?? Lol
The roads here are great.

Honestly, if you go to the south of Italy, you would think you're somewhere in South Africa. Potholes; faded road markings; trash on the side of the streets. No working public trains. I felt right at home. 

My wife mentioned yesterday that a guy from the Vrystaat passed away after suffering a heart attack shortly after the start. She saw it on her news feed, but I can't pick anything up about that?

I did see a guy being given cardiac resuscitation by what seemed to me to be spectators just before the turn off to Kirstenbosch as I passed around 08:55ish.

Rest in Peace fellow rider.

we saw a guy down, literally 200m from the start - don't know if it was a wheel touch or something else - 1E

8 hours ago, Denis Dell said:

Not sure how you propose that they tackle this "issue"??

Does everyone get like a few "tokens" in their racepacks which you put in your pocket and when you stop along the route you have to scratch through your pockets to find your tokens which waste valuable time for those chasing a time who maybe just need a little boost, what if you forget your tokens in the car, No coke all the way around then. And for those who don't use the tokens at all on the road, do you then claim all your cokes at the finish?

On the route you get coke or water poured in a paper cup, often the coke/water is warm and it's about 150ml, at the finish you get a can and a bottle of water which is always cold, already 2 items. Not sure how many you are wanting to take, if you would be happy with 2, the next Oom would maybe want 4 because he is thinking of his post-race brannas, where do they draw the line? I'll be honest there have been Cycle Tours I've chugged the 1st 1 as I got it and taken another 1 at the end table without any complaints from the staff, However I've never attempted to take more. Again, Where do they draw the line then to keep the, well quite obvious minority happy?