Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

47 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

can we keep the depressing political commentary out of this thread please

should we?

The DA had a huge stand at westlake/main road t-junction, with trucks and banners. Alan Winde (DA Wcape premier) and Geordin Hill-Lewis (DA mayor of Capetown) both rode the event.

It's an election year and with out of town cyclists from other provinces this was a prime vote securing soapbox, which they took advantage of.

(I didn't see Razzmatazz anywhere, nor could I hear him - 12 years ago)

IN TRAINING: Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula with Western Cape premier Helen Zille on Table Mountain Road preparing themselves for the Cape Argus Cycle Tour, in which they will promote anti-doping Picture: ESA ALEXANDER

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, droo said:

Or a 3am start group so the fast fasters can get in by sunrise...

Now that’s lateral thinking 🎉👍🏼

Following this thread....

The 947 2024 would've been my first proper "long distance" road race. But I am now reconsidering due to the safety of riders aspect. Me and my wife ride together, and obviously she cannot keep up with me after the first 30-40km of a hard-ride. When we do group rides on weekends I need not to worry about her, because I know she will be in a group and not left alone. But, when it is only me and her doing a long ride, I tend to hold back a lot after the first 30-40km to ensure that we either ride together. I then end up doing a Zone1&2 ride that started out as high intensity. Her day remains productive, and mine becomes a recovery ride.

Just because of this safety concern, I will never be able to focus on my own ride & effort.

What do you fine people suggest we do.

1) Don't worry, and just ride 94.7
2) Move our focus to CTCT 2025 and train towards this event.

PS we also have a Suikerbos(sie), this side of the border which I enjoy riding, but the wife hates it. 

28 minutes ago, Steven421 said:

The 947 2024 would've been my first proper "long distance" road race. But I am now reconsidering due to the safety of riders aspect. Me and my wife ride together, and obviously she cannot keep up with me after the first 30-40km of a hard-ride. When we do group rides on weekends I need not to worry about her, because I know she will be in a group and not left alone. But, when it is only me and her doing a long ride, I tend to hold back a lot after the first 30-40km to ensure that we either ride together. I then end up doing a Zone1&2 ride that started out as high intensity. Her day remains productive, and mine becomes a recovery ride.

Just because of this safety concern, I will never be able to focus on my own ride & effort.

PS we also have a Suikerbos(sie), this side of the border which I enjoy riding, but the wife hates it. 

I dont see how training for 947 differs to training for CTCT in your scenario.

Also the safety aspect only comes into play outside of the event itself, i.e. to and from the parking, and despite the reports on here I've managed to not be affected by it. But it is there, this is Joburg, so you do need to know about it and be vigilant.

4 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I dont see how training for 947 differs to training for CTCT in your scenario.

Also the safety aspect only comes into play outside of the event itself, i.e. to and from the parking, and despite the reports on here I've managed to not be affected by it. But it is there, this is Joburg, so you do need to know about it and be vigilant.

Actually very true.
Think we'll see if our club members will ride it. If so, I will reconsider 94.7

But CTCT 2025 for us is a definite.   

1 hour ago, Steven421 said:

New wife an option?

1 hour ago, Steven421 said:

Get her an e-bike if you wanna ride together.

1 hour ago, Scary Rider said:

Robbie, uhm, wie het nou weer in die straat voor sy huis met sy fiets geval...😉😉

ja ja, en ek het die scars om te brag ook nog. dis nou juis die ding. Ek kan seker ook nie van myself ontsnap nie, ne

13 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I come to bikehub to embrace the stupidity!!!

😆

It’s the gift that never stops giving. Eternal. Lets be stupid about bicycles, together, always. 

The real world is hard enough. It’s fun having a dedicated stupidbox. 

Edited by MORNE

2 hours ago, Steven421 said:

Actually very true.
Think we'll see if our club members will ride it. If so, I will reconsider 94.7

But CTCT 2025 for us is a definite.   

I only started doing road events in 2023 (since 1995).

The vast majority of Hub comments are about the first couple of racing groups.  Looking at Durbie Dash, Winelands and 99er this is maybe 15% of the field.

There are LOTS of slow riders !!!

You can find your pace and have a fun day out.  Your wife will have lots of other riders to ride with.

This most certainly applies to CTCT as well.

If I may .... what is your goal time ?  If you are a 4 hour rider .... consider an ebike for your wife.  You can then enjoy the ride together.  Welllll .... she may spin out when you want to go faster ... and she may just hammer you on the climbs, and not in a good way.  If you are aiming for 3:30 ... well then you will be faster than the 3:50 minimum time allowed for e-bikes.