Trek CarBack Radar Rear Bike Light

nathrix

3 minutes ago, Spafsack said:

Hi Chris, shot for the quick reply man. His GT3 Watch does have insane battery life, i have the new one GT4, 2 weeks battery life, and stunning screen, but enough about that, so what do you recon i should do here. Find the Garmin at the best price, then pair with his phone? That phone sits in his cargo pants [ciovita pocket], so doubt that will help much 😕

I guess i must look for a head unit then, the most basic, cheapest? What is the difference between wahoo and garmin? Or could you maount his samsung phone and use that, just scared of theft... 

Ouch ... 🤪

I had the Edge 530 before I got the Varia.  It is clear the Varia was made to work with these head units.

The ease of glancing at the screen, like you would a mirror, just adds so much safety.

This link seems to confirm what you already know - it pairs with garmin devices and phone apps

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/698001%23:~:text%3DThis%20radar%20works%20seamlessly%20with,the%20optional%20radar%20display%20unit.&ved=2ahUKEwi2o8iXnaSGAxWPSvEDHdpbATEQFnoECBAQBA&usg=AOvVaw1AkWnCfbrcFIT95xOzBZiO

The variable flashing light, it flashes faster as a car approach you, is a great safety addition.

Other than that I think you neef to see the screen for added benefit.

Maybe a 130 ?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx Chris

Think i will have to look for a second hand 530, that might be the best entry level option.

I agree with you, the closer the car, more flashing, i like that.

Will see what i can find online and take it from there.

Edge 130 is about the best entry level Garmin unit that will work with the Varia or Magene units.

I have one for not (that many) many ZARS if you'd like.

530 has some vary useful training metrics added on (and is the reason I'm not using the 130 anymore) but is about double the price on the second hand market.

14 hours ago, splat said:

To simplify things slightly, the Trek light isn't available here yet.

There is a basic version of the Garmin radar without the warning lights. I don't know if it will pair and work with the Huawei watch
https://www.easybike.co.za/garmin-varia-rearview-radar-rvr315.html

But there is a Magene radar with lights like the Garmin version. I don't know what it pairs with though.
https://www.bicyclepower.co.za/products/magene-l508-radar-tail-bike-light-rechargeable

Magene pairs with any bike computer that supports a radar light or just radar and pairs via ANT+

Edited by DieselnDust

15 hours ago, Spafsack said:

Hi guys

I need your help on this. My son just got his first road bike. He is straining for half iron man, also doesn't help him and me watching Giro each day Duuuh....I am rather petrified about him training on the roads, that's the beauty with mountain biking, but lets not get side tracked here.

I feel its safer to have one of these rear lite radar things. He only has a Huawei GT3 watch, no Garmin of any sort, and his trusty samsung s22 phone. So what to do???

My thoughts, of not really knowing Garmin head units, and i dont have bucks to spend big now.

Should i try find a good deal on either the trek or garmin radar. I thought the garmin once came with a small screen that showed different lights, or do you need a garmin unit, or could it pair with his phone, how would he get notifications of cars and so on?

What entry level bike head units / computers are there which can pair with these devices ?

Just want to mention, his GT3 Watch with the app is actually dam impressive, 12 days bat life, shows all the stats you need, he has strava on his phone as well, seems the watch links to that just fine.

He has no power meters or anything, bike is naked, but i want him to be safe. Maybe someone has second hand, not even sure what i should be looking at.

What do you gents suggest, who is using which one and where do you think we must start with hardware wise?  

Just go and buy the Trek/Bontrager Flare R rear light. Crazy flash pattern, super bright, apparently you can see it from 2 km away. Noticeably different experience when you cycle without it. I won't leave home without it.

20 minutes ago, Andreas_187 said:

Just go and buy the Trek/Bontrager Flare R rear light. Crazy flash pattern, super bright, apparently you can see it from 2 km away. Noticeably different experience when you cycle without it. I won't leave home without it.

Hi Andreas, i dont think its for sale in SA, unless i am wrong, it really looks like a nice unit.

28 minutes ago, Spafsack said:

Hi Andreas, i dont think its for sale in SA, unless i am wrong, it really looks like a nice unit.

Trek has a very good range of lights.

BRIGHT, and long battery life for those endurance rides.

I have been using their lights for the last 6 years.  Still use it on the MTB on the commute to the trails.

I only got the Varia in November last year.  Still looking for a tether solution before I will use it on the MTB.

As good as the Trek lights are, the variable flash pattern of the Varia adds a layer of safety.  But without a head unit to pair the Varia to, the Trek lights is probably the next best thing.

PS - My one gripe with the Varia is its battery life.  You need to toggle through a few modes when switching it on, to get to "day light flash", to get the best battery life.  The default setting only lasts for 3 or 4 hours .... Last Sunday I got it wrong again, riding the last bit home without a light.

58 minutes ago, Andreas_187 said:

This . Bought mine from Bestbikes in Durbanville . 

16 hours ago, Spafsack said:

Hi guys

I need your help on this. My son just got his first road bike. He is straining for half iron man, also doesn't help him and me watching Giro each day Duuuh....I am rather petrified about him training on the roads, that's the beauty with mountain biking, but lets not get side tracked here.

I feel its safer to have one of these rear lite radar things. He only has a Huawei GT3 watch, no Garmin of any sort, and his trusty samsung s22 phone. So what to do???

My thoughts, of not really knowing Garmin head units, and i dont have bucks to spend big now.

Should i try find a good deal on either the trek or garmin radar. I thought the garmin once came with a small screen that showed different lights, or do you need a garmin unit, or could it pair with his phone, how would he get notifications of cars and so on?

What entry level bike head units / computers are there which can pair with these devices ?

Just want to mention, his GT3 Watch with the app is actually dam impressive, 12 days bat life, shows all the stats you need, he has strava on his phone as well, seems the watch links to that just fine.

He has no power meters or anything, bike is naked, but i want him to be safe. Maybe someone has second hand, not even sure what i should be looking at.

What do you gents suggest, who is using which one and where do you think we must start with hardware wise?  

Get something cheap and nasty.  
I got an old 820 unit for free from a friend that the battery is shot.
But for an hour ride here and there, it still works perfectly fine with the varia and serves its purpose

2 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Get something cheap and nasty.  
I got an old 820 unit for free from a friend that the battery is shot.
But for an hour ride here and there, it still works perfectly fine with the varia and serves its purpose

Okay thanx, trying to see what is online, second hand, cant find much, but thats the plan for sure!

On 5/24/2024 at 9:51 AM, Spafsack said:

look a the DC rainmaker and GP lama reviews....

Edited by DieselnDust

16 hours ago, Spafsack said:

Thanx Chris

Think i will have to look for a second hand 530, that might be the best entry level option.

I agree with you, the closer the car, more flashing, i like that.

Will see what i can find online and take it from there.

if triathlon is his thing, rather skip to a Garmin Fenix 6X

also

the varia 515 works well by itself in high flash modes, it changes its pattern as cars approach, and arguably causes the behaviour change from cars that makes road riding more comfortable (im not sure what we can really do if a car is approaching other than hug the curb more)

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Magene pairs with any bike computer that supports a radar light or just radar and pairs via ANT+

Magene make  good products. I have their sensor, HRM and their radar light. It was like 1/4 the price as Garmin and works well with the Garmin Edge devices. 

3 hours ago, Spafsack said:

Here you go. Don't be fooled by the size, this is an amazing light, they did proper research on the flash patters and brightness for maximum visibility. I have been using it since 2017

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-lights/bike-rear-lights/bontrager-flare-rt-rear-bike-light/p/23999/?colorCode=black

Edited by Andreas_187

Aaaah so we downgrading the request from a smart radar light to a smart non radar light. I wondered why the trek kept coming back. Talk about scope regression