Help with importing a bike

Greetings all. 

ik Jill looking at having an recumbent trike  custom built in the Czech Republic and I’m looking for advice with regards to the importation of the bike into South Africa. Particular, I’m concerned about the duties that need to be paid when the bike is shipped back to South Africa. In addition, they will be vet payable and how would I go about reclaiming thevat

There is anybody on this group that has imported in South Africa that can share any advice. I’ll be most grateful. Thank you.

If you aren't a business then claiming the vat is not going to happen.

Bike will be subject to duties but not sure how much.

I think importing a USED/2nd-hand, (even though its custom) recumbent, could have a major effect on duties, etc, will let others more knowledgeable chime in, but even a ‘demo’ model would help you with duties, i think?

15% duty and 15% VAT, as mentioned the VAT cannot be claimed back unless you import the bike in the name of a business. 

Frames and parts are Duty Free. Ask the supplier to send frame and fork in one shipment,  and rest of bike 3 weeks later addressed to your wife. 😉

Obviously depending on value of bike versus 2 x courier cost. 

Good luck. 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Also..R50k max on a ID number. More and you’ll need an import license 

And its 50k per year correct ? 

It's R50k (max) per shipment, and you're allowed 3x per year, before you need an import licence.

1. It's 15% duties on top of the FOB value.
2. Then add 10% on to the sum of FOB + customs duty value
3. The add 15% VAT on top of that
4. You'll need a customs clearing agent, so add their handling fee
5. Add the shipment cost to the above.

Sorry yes, as

3 hours ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

And its 50k per year correct ? 

sorry yes, as @Frosty mentioned, x3 in a calendar year.

so you could do 3x in dec24 and 3x in jan25 and it would be fine (if you didnt want to bring in anything else the rest of the year. Unfortunately these days even R50k wont bring in a full bike worth the effort. The shipping alone will be about R3k+ and then about the + 25% as noted above. Plenty to buy locally in that range. A R50k frame though…might make more sense.

Edited by MORNE

Out of interest, will it work our cheaper if you bring a used bike in from travels abroad? Will any duties/ VAT be applicable? Anyone done this?

Thx all. As I’ve had a stroke, therecumbent option is part of my rehabilitation . I’m thinking it might be cheaper to travel to Europe to collect and return with the bike as a used item.and brinh

g it back with me as a excess luggage 

You might be stopped and asked for proof of export; which you declare at the time when leaving the country. 

I say might, as it might not happen; depends how on “how on the ball” the customs officials are. It’s your responsibility to ensure you comply, in case they stop you.

Anyone that has taken their bike overseas, as part of their luggage will be able to comment on having declared their bike at departure.

On 5/12/2024 at 4:14 PM, Frosty said:

You might be stopped and asked for proof of export; which you declare at the time when leaving the country. 

I say might, as it might not happen; depends how on “how on the ball” the customs officials are. It’s your responsibility to ensure you comply, in case they stop you.

Anyone that has taken their bike overseas, as part of their luggage will be able to comment on having declared their bike at departure.

Never did the proof of export. Never been stopped and asked for it when returning. 

YMMV but I’ve travelled overseas with my bike about 2-3 times per year for the last 10 years. I was once stopped returning with two bikes (mine and my wife’s) but they were just looking for cigarettes and alcohol. I even opened the bike bag to show them I had nothing on me. 

Contrary to popular belief, there is in fact NO DUTY out of the EU, IF..... the supplier notes their EUR1 details on the invoice and supplies a copy of the EUR1 certificate. This is just to certify that the bike is made / assembled in the EU.

image.png.c161fd5397dc91efb9eccc3eec776ef7.png

Edited by Bl4d3

On 5/11/2024 at 1:24 PM, Brettowski said:

Greetings all. 

ik Jill looking at having an recumbent trike  custom built in the Czech Republic and I’m looking for advice with regards to the importation of the bike into South Africa. Particular, I’m concerned about the duties that need to be paid when the bike is shipped back to South Africa. In addition, they will be vet payable and how would I go about reclaiming thevat

There is anybody on this group that has imported in South Africa that can share any advice. I’ll be most grateful. Thank you.

Azub?

42 minutes ago, Bl4d3 said:

Contrary to popular belief, there is in fact NO DUTY out of the EU, IF..... the supplier notes their EUR1 details on the invoice and supplies a copy of the EUR1 certificate. This is just to certify that the bike is made / assembled in the EU.

image.png.c161fd5397dc91efb9eccc3eec776ef7.png

For the sake of clarity to whomever is reading…Duties and VAT+ admin fees are 2 seperate things though. Yes for the most part you can assume anything unassembled/bicycle part related draws no duties from that side. Theres that whole 1000 page doc you have there for reference. You WILL still pay 15% Vat + a clearance fee (10% ish) if you use a clearsnce agent or the courier does it for you. You could go stand in line at OR thambo yourself though. I always just work on thumbsuck ~ 25% on top of whatever you paid and thats usually what it is landed (excl shipping)

Edited by MORNE