Bib Shorts going Transparent after relatively little use

JBK

Any opinions where shorts don't go transparent but leg grippers seem to lose their grip prematurely.? 🤷‍♂️

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I do none of the things anyone has mentioned in this thread. All my bibs literally just get washed like normal as per any other clothes. It gets mixed in with those corrected as well. I don’t use a specific bag and I don’t use any special detergent or softener. I also hang them out to dry in direct sun. I’ve only had 1 bib go thin after about 5 years of use. And I’ve had various brands like assos, dhb, kalas and some chinese bibs. They’ve all been fine. 

Not really sure what your issue is but maybe you just overthinking it. Just throw them in the wash and be done with it. 

I second this approach.

Only ever had one pair come up with that white pulling and going see through. Ciovita and I've never bought their shorts since. 

All my others are perfectly fine, irrespective of brand, and I just chuck all my kit in after a ride. The only thing I do "special" is use a clothes hanger rather than on the line

3 minutes ago, RossTopher said:

I second this approach.

Only ever had one pair come up with that white pulling and going see through. Ciovita and I've never bought their shorts since. 

All my others are perfectly fine, irrespective of brand, and I just chuck all my kit in after a ride. The only thing I do "special" is use a clothes hanger rather than on the line

ditto and I dry mine in a dry-buddi

39 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Any opinions where shorts don't go transparent but leg grippers seem to lose their grip prematurely.? 🤷‍♂️

this is a wear and tear issue. Most of these new style shorts have this issue because the gripper material is quite thin in the interest of comfort. Cannondale sharted this trend with their L'Carbon bibs back in 2007. The silicone gripper would stretch over time.

The best thing to preserve these styles of gripper is a cold water hand wash to prevent warm water softening the bond between the silicone and the lycra.

59 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I do none of the things anyone has mentioned in this thread. All my bibs literally just get washed like normal as per any other clothes. It gets mixed in with those corrected as well. I don’t use a specific bag and I don’t use any special detergent or softener. I also hang them out to dry in direct sun. I’ve only had 1 bib go thin after about 5 years of use. And I’ve had various brands like assos, dhb, kalas and some chinese bibs. They’ve all been fine. 

Not really sure what your issue is but maybe you just overthinking it. Just throw them in the wash and be done with it. 

You don't perhaps add tenderizer to your race fuel mix 🤷‍♂️

I also have one ciovita corsa 2.0 that has turned transparent above the cheek crack. 

I have noticed that the corsa 2.0 just does not last as long as the first versions. Must be all the marginal gains in the newer products.

Just to throw another spanner in the mix:

What about IDT riding. I often find myself riding in a very wet bib even with a fan on etc. the natural cooling from riding outdoors keeps my clothes a lot dryer. even things like a simple sweatband on my wrists help keep my handlebars and towel over handlebars dry.

Back to the point: I wonder iff riding in salty corrosive wet bibs on the trainer does not help deteriorate fabric fibers.

Just my 2c 

2 minutes ago, no calves said:

What about IDT riding. I often find myself riding in a very wet bib even with a fan on etc. the natural cooling from riding outdoors keeps my clothes a lot dryer. even things like a simple sweatband on my wrists help keep my handlebars and towel over handlebars dry.

Back to the point: I wonder iff riding in salty corrosive wet bibs on the trainer does not help deteriorate fabric fibers.

Just my 2c 

Might be more truth to this than we think. Already seen what sweat can do to handlebars on an IDT. 

1 minute ago, no calves said:

Just my 2c 

I’m using Ciovita’s indoor bibs , no issues of that nature for me . 

i must however point out that I have a pair of their new and current editions and the newer is a bit tighter! Must be the larger muscles in my thighs😜

nice and snug which is I guess is what you want for an indoor bib

1 hour ago, no calves said:

Just my 2c 

yip, i've heard and read this kinda thing loads. i've never second guessed it, just dont wear nice/new kit on the wattbike.

this is where the likes of the cheaper decathlon/maxed shorts (or temu?), or clearance stock (i buy whatever fits that i find at northcliff) comes in.

i'll never understand people in 1k+ bibs at gym.

Let me just put it out there. Ive got 2 craft bibs from 2009 when I started taking cycling serious and I can tell you they are still going strong. Although the one has a bad tear , the material is still 100

Also had some bibs going see-through at the crack.
Do the whole "careful" washing thing......Liquid soap, no enzymes, short cycle etc.
Still happened.  But not to all of the bibs.
Happed to an old one (one years' use, used twice per week) and a fairly new bib used for like a month.  Same brand, 

I do have a theory though.........
Getting a puncture and the white stuff sprays on the bib............surely the ammoniac and chemicals will mess up the bib?
But like I said.........just a theory....... 

16 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

This is my point exactly ! I started off with reckless abandon like yourself but the shorts went see through so I started to follow manufacturer's guidelines, etc. I now doing everything "right" but my shorts still go see through, albeit that they last slightly longer. 

So my point exactly is that it happens always to some people and never to others. The point of this thread is to try and find some commonality. 

Edited by JBK
spelling