A bit of Disc vs Rim brake advice

Hey peeps, so I need some advice, I am looking at getting a roadbike, but I am a little conflicted on what bike to look for, I know I want a more endurance type bike, I am no racer, so have been looking at some Trek Domane, Giant Defy etc type bikes, but currently in my price range, I can only find bikes with rim brakes, I know disc brake bikes can take fatter tyres, which is appealing to me for the extra comfort they provide.

So basically my question is, do I keep looking at rim brake bikes, or do I wait till I can find/afford an Alloy disc brake bike? Something like the Giant Contend disc or Trek Domane AR (not that they are available in SA) or Specialized Allez disc?

And what other bikes should I be looking at?

Edited by Chadvdw67

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Giant Contend disc

So  I ride one of these and overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Except for 2 things

1) The stupid half cable half hydraulic braking system. Dont get me wrong, it works well, but it takes up so much space in the cockpit and I'm guessing adds weight.

2) see if you can get a newer one than mine where they went through axel on the wheels, mine with quick release really limits your options when it comes to replacement wheels.

And then I'm guessing for your preferences being limited to a max 28mm tyre will be a problem for you, but I recall the newer ones allowed wider tyres.

If I recall mine is circa 2018 model

13 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

So  I ride one of these and overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Except for 2 things

1) The stupid half cable half hydraulic braking system. Dont get me wrong, it works well, but it takes up so much space in the cockpit and I'm guessing adds weight.

2) see if you can get a newer one than mine where they went through axel on the wheels, mine with quick release really limits your options when it comes to replacement wheels.

And then I'm guessing for your preferences being limited to a max 28mm tyre will be a problem for you, but I recall the newer ones allowed wider tyres.

If I recall mine is circa 2018 model

Ya I was looking more towards the newer model with the full 105 hydryalic groupset, although at the right price I would go for the same as you have got, I am not really that fussy, the bike will spend 90% of it's life n the IDT and then the odd Suikerbos loop and 947 etc

I had Trek Domane 4.5 Disc (2016 model) that I really enjoyed. Excellent bike that could accomodate 32mm tyres and was very comformtable on our rough roads. If you can find one of these in good condition, you will be very happy. I saw one on sale here for about 23K. 

Here's the ad: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/613348/trek-domane-45-54cm-carbon-11spd-disc

Don't bother with rim brakes. I think you'll regret it. 

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

"Rim brakes are on it's way out, like a 26'' MTB."

Says who 🤷‍♂️

Would also like to know 

11 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Would also like to know 

26 mtb owners were also in denial for a long time 😁 (me included)

I agree with the sentiment that rim brakes are on the way out, don't know what the OP's budget is but for anything above entry level I would not bother with rim brakes, disc brakes are worth the extra cost.

28 minutes ago, Mook said:

Says who 🤷‍♂️

I do. Parts will eventually become scarce. It's a matter of time.

I still have my 2019 Contend SL1 Disc and fully agree with @The Ouzo sentiments. I ride this bike more than my newer one (go figure). 

Amazing bang for your buck if you can pick one up second-hand. 3/4 105 groupset, 11-34 cassette, disc brakes, I run 28c Cinturato with clearance to spare, the wheelset has some depth and overall the bike rides extremely comfortably while still looking good considering the geometry. 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Says who 🤷‍♂️

In the same breathe you can say mechanical groupsets are on their way out.. technically it’s not wrong, just going to take quite a while I reckon.. it’s simply a premature statement I think

Personally if it’s a low end bike then I’d just get a bike with discs. If you’re buying a brand new bike, the only way I’d go rim brakes now is if it’s a high end frame and the discount is substantial. Then it’s something to look at.

But on the lower end, just go disc brakes.

1 hour ago, Titleist said:

I do. Parts will eventually become scarce. It's a matter of time.

Only reason I am asking this question is that I can recall hearing the same argument when 29'ers saw the light so many years ago, I can't even remember. The fact is that less 26'ers are sold than back then, BUT fact is also that 26" has seen a revival second to none. 

You can find 26er frames and components with relative ease despite their "end-of-life" fear mongering over the past 15 years. Many hubbers still own 26ers and would not part with them for any money in the world. These hubbers also own 29ers or 650B's. Same argument holds water with rim brakes "disappearing". They will never disappear purely because 60% of recreational cyclists cannot afford to buy or maintain disc brake systems. Marketing yadda-yadda if you ask me.

The fact that many cyclists can afford new technology does not imply that current/old tech would simply disappear. I enjoy riding my 30 year-old 26er and love every moment on a steel framed bike with cantilever rim brakes. Yes, I also happen to own a fancy duel-suss carbon 29er.

26ers and rim brakes will outlive most of hubbers 👊

Old's cool

I hear you and

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

Only reason I am asking this question is that I can recall hearing the same argument when 29'ers saw the light so many years ago, I can't even remember. The fact is that less 26'ers are sold than back then, BUT fact is also that 26" has seen a revival second to none. 

You can find 26er frames and components with relative ease despite their "end-of-life" fear mongering over the past 15 years. Many hubbers still own 26ers and would not part with them for any money in the world. These hubbers also own 29ers or 650B's. Same argument holds water with rim brakes "disappearing". They will never disappear purely because 60% of recreational cyclists cannot afford to buy or maintain disc brake systems. Marketing yadda-yadda if you ask me.

The fact that many cyclists can afford new technology does not imply that current/old tech would simply disappear. I enjoy riding my 30 year-old 26er and love every moment on a steel framed bike with cantilever rim brakes. Yes, I also happen to own a fancy duel-suss carbon 29er.

Old's cool

I hear you and I feel the pain as well. The problem with a 26'' is to find tubeless rims and tubeless tyres for reasonable amounts of money. Just doing a tubeless conversion costs more than the value of the bike which is not viable in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

Old's cool

Some very good points, we also need to remember that rim brakes actually stop you very well ! and have been good enough for years, hell some pros even stuck with them very recently when the rest of the peleton was on discs. Sponsor pressure probably put an end to that.
Dual pivot brake brakes come to mind. 
so anyone on a rim brake bike can rest easy . As well as those on mechanical group sets for that matter as well. 

7 minutes ago, Titleist said:

I hear you and

I hear you and I feel the pain as well. The problem with a 26'' is to find tubeless rims and tubeless tyres for reasonable amounts of money. Just doing a tubeless conversion costs more than the value of the bike which is not viable in my opinion.

Say what ?

26'' Maxxis Minion for R800 at Evobikes

Continental Race King for R700

Michelin Wild Race for R600

Couple of options at Bike Addict for under R500.

The ONLY "issue" is the limited options, when compared to 29".  But there ARE enough available, and the costs are LOW.