A bit of Disc vs Rim brake advice

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

Many hubbers still own 26ers and would not part with them for any money in the world. These hubbers also own 29ers or 650B's.

Good thing they wouldn't want to part with their 26ers for any money in the world because if hub classifieds are anything to go by they wouldn't get much more than R6K...

I admire your passion for 26ers but it really its just a budget or kids option now - not something you would recommend for anyone who doesn't specifically want to ride a 26er.

The same for rim brakes - unless you are a fanboy or going low budget not something to be recommended (and this coming from someone who will still ride his rim brakes road bike for a few more years) 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Say what ?

The ONLY "issue" is the limited options, when compared to 29".  But there ARE enough available, and the costs are LOW.

And show me options for LOW cost tubeless wheel conversions. They don't exist.....

1 minute ago, Titleist said:

And show me options for LOW cost tubeless wheel conversions. They don't exist.....

HUH !?

The rims are ready for tubeless - at least every 26"er I have worked on the rims were no issue.

Tyres are very affordable, tubeless ready tyres.

The valves cost the same .... 

The rim tape costs the same ... unless you want to subtract 20c because it is marginally shorter

There are still 2 off 26" bikes at home, and I have done many more conversions for friends on their kids bikes.

22 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

HUH !?

Back in the day when I started cycling I started with a Trek Y3. You start off by riding easy trails etc then you progress then you realise you need tubeless tyres and wheel. The bicycle was worth R3000 back in 2016. Now after spending R1500-R1800 on two tyres and another R2000k on getting the bike trail ready the bike is still worth R3k after the R3,5k of mods. Then I saw this kite isn't going to fly, money in the water...

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Only reason I am asking this question is that I can recall hearing the same argument when 29'ers saw the light so many years ago, I can't even remember. The fact is that less 26'ers are sold than back then, BUT fact is also that 26" has seen a revival second to none. 

You can find 26er frames and components with relative ease despite their "end-of-life" fear mongering over the past 15 years. Many hubbers still own 26ers and would not part with them for any money in the world. These hubbers also own 29ers or 650B's. Same argument holds water with rim brakes "disappearing". They will never disappear purely because 60% of recreational cyclists cannot afford to buy or maintain disc brake systems. Marketing yadda-yadda if you ask me.

The fact that many cyclists can afford new technology does not imply that current/old tech would simply disappear. I enjoy riding my 30 year-old 26er and love every moment on a steel framed bike with cantilever rim brakes. Yes, I also happen to own a fancy duel-suss carbon 29er.

26ers and rim brakes will outlive most of hubbers 👊

Old's cool

100% agree. Old tech bikes are already depreciated and you can pick up high quality for lower price. Rim brakes will be around a while. Wheels can be built or bought new. Without a full understanding of the OPs needs it’s silly to exclude rim

brake bikes because of regurgitated cliched narratives of this is dead or that is done.

at an entry level, a good rim brake bike is better value than low end disc brake bike.

cheaper to maintain service and set up. Very few throwaway parts on the older rim brake bikes. Disc brake system develops a fault, new brake system and you’re in the hole for R5000. Cable shifter breaks you can probably replace an internal part if it’s campagnolo or sram.

at an entry level , get a good medium to high end rim brake bike for a fraction of the cost.

Just buy whatever you like the look of that fits in your budget.

Seriously, the toing and froing of the rim vs discs isn't going to make you ride the bike  more or less.

If it's going to sit mostly on the trainer, IMHO buy a crappy old Peugeot/Hansom steel road bike frame, bang a 2 x 10 cheap group set on and pedal away at home on a bike you don't care about with super cheap parts. 

My trainer bike doesn't even have brakes or a front wheel.

Then just ride your other bike outside. 

OR..... you buy the bike you like the look of, adapt it to fit on the trainer and you will ride it outside more because you like it more than anything you were convinced was a 'better' deal/idea.

It isn't. You will question that decision forever if you don't buy or build the bike you like.

Rim or brake, both work, both will get you 465th on any STRAVA KOM where you live and neither will be 'better' than the other at the sort of level you're coming from.

I'm not saying you're rubbish, but if you were good enough to really see the performance benefits in a huge way you wouldn't be asking.

Me? I'd buy a disc brake purely because you can do dirty post rain rides, pop up and down spicy gravel segments etc without the risk of ruining your wheels while braking.

This for me is the best part of owning a disc road bike. I can ride my 'good' (read only) carbon wheels without a worry from mud/debris when braking.

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Only reason I am asking this question is that I can recall hearing the same argument when 29'ers saw the light so many years ago, I can't even remember. The fact is that less 26'ers are sold than back then, BUT fact is also that 26" has seen a revival second to none. 

You can find 26er frames and components with relative ease despite their "end-of-life" fear mongering over the past 15 years. Many hubbers still own 26ers and would not part with them for any money in the world. These hubbers also own 29ers or 650B's. Same argument holds water with rim brakes "disappearing". They will never disappear purely because 60% of recreational cyclists cannot afford to buy or maintain disc brake systems. Marketing yadda-yadda if you ask me.

The fact that many cyclists can afford new technology does not imply that current/old tech would simply disappear. I enjoy riding my 30 year-old 26er and love every moment on a steel framed bike with cantilever rim brakes. Yes, I also happen to own a fancy duel-suss carbon 29er.

26ers and rim brakes will outlive most of hubbers 👊

Old's cool

In my small town 26” bikes outnumber 29” by about 6 to 1 . And we keep them running not any more difficult than sourcing parts for 29 ers 

26 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

100% agree. Old tech bikes are already depreciated and you can pick up high quality for lower price. Rim brakes will be around a while. Wheels can be built or bought new. Without a full understanding of the OPs needs it’s silly to exclude rim

One of his needs is to fit wider tyres on his road bike for comfort. Clearance will probably be a struggle with many of the older rim brake frames when trying to fit wider tyres (maybe less with some of the newer frames).

Just as an aside, its actually nice when your bike slows down when braking (especially in wet conditions), for me thats enough reason to spend money on disc brakes 😁. Just make twisty downhills and sharp corners much more fun to ride on a bike.

But yes, if budget is your main concern you can save some by going with rim brakes.

1 hour ago, Titleist said:

Back in the day when I started cycling I started with a Trek Y3. You start off by riding easy trails etc then you progress then you realise you need tubeless tyres and wheel. The bicycle was worth R3000 back in 2016. Now after spending R1500-R1800 on two tyres and another R2000k on getting the bike trail ready the bike is still worth R3k after the R3,5k of mods. Then I saw this kite isn't going to fly, money in the water...

Thankfully things have improved since then.

Most bikes now come with Tubeless Ready tyres.   From here it costs about R300 (now probably R400) to do the tubeless setup.  And if the tyres seat nicely it is a 20 minute job.

Dont get caught like a buddy, bought a "recently serviced" bike, complete with brand new tyres - 29" mind you .... when we wanted to do the tubeless conversion we noted the new tyres were not tubeless ready. 

BUYER BE AWARE .... DONT buy it if you need to replace the tyres to go tubeless, OR, subtract R2k from the asking price ....

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

One of his needs is to fit wider tyres on his road bike for comfort. Clearance will probably be a struggle with many of the older rim brake frames when trying to fit wider tyres (maybe less with some of the newer frames).

Just as an aside, its actually nice when your bike slows down when braking (especially in wet conditions), for me thats enough reason to spend money on disc brakes 😁. Just make twisty downhills and sharp corners much more fun to ride on a bike.

But yes, if budget is your main concern you can save some by going with rim brakes.

Most bikes 2018 to 2022 will take 28 to 30c tyres and rim brakes. Especially if direct pull which was available down to 105 level. A normal Dual pivot brake could handle up to 28C tyres,
 28c provides a lot of comfort. By the time you’re on 32c he may as well go buy that new avalanche gravel bike and fit road tyres as an entry to disc road bikes and live with Mtb weight on the road. That alone is bit off putting and let’s get real, this bra is going to go for a time in Argust 2025….

Edited by DieselnDust

Back in the day if anybody mentioned you tubeless. It meant you were actually riding naked! No spares.. how times have changed! Yah meneer, truth that. 😅

I am no roadie but found myself reading an article about road bikes the other day and it is said that Decathlon offers excellent bang for buck (particularly their Van Rysel range) and shouldn’t be overlooked.

As said I know less than nothing about road bikes but I see they have offerings with 105, Ultegra and Apex, rim brakes and disc brakes, and the prices seem pretty decent. 

I still ride rim brakes, tubeless 28s, super comfy for endurance,  I still have my original brake pad on the bike going 5 years,  endurance you probably won't brake that much, riding bunch is probably better riding discs

5 hours ago, Titleist said:

I think people should worry less about RESALE value of the bike, and think more what you can get out of a perfectly good bike, with some minor, even cost-effective mods, if you feel you can live with it!

Case in point, although I own a full carbon 29”er, i have HEAPS of fun on a converted 2004/2005 26”er, in the year of our Lord 2024!

My Eroica steel bike (1992) cost R1500 5 years back, spent another R1.5k on it,3 or 4 Eroica’s and MANY trips around Cape Point loop with it, HEAPS of fun, for little (added) money.

Something to mull over!

9 hours ago, Zebra said:

I think people should worry less about RESALE value of the bike, and think more what you can get out of a perfectly good bike, with some minor, even cost-effective mods, if you feel you can live with it!

Case in point, although I own a full carbon 29”er, i have HEAPS of fun on a converted 2004/2005 26”er, in the year of our Lord 2024!

My Eroica steel bike (1992) cost R1500 5 years back, spent another R1.5k on it,3 or 4 Eroica’s and MANY trips around Cape Point loop with it, HEAPS of fun, for little (added) money.

Something to mull over!

From the @Zebra's mouth 😜

Spoke to another hubber earlier this week and he mentioned the crazy deal he got on the TheHub. He bought a grand set of rim brake wheels for next to nothing. If you had been contemplating a wheel upgrade, now's the best time to own a rim brake roadbike. People are getting rid of their good quality rim brake wheels, or complete rim brake road bikes for that matter, at very reasonable prices ............... where an upgrade to disc brake is the most likely driver for the sale.

Bottomline is that older technology simply moves around. It does not end up in a crusher somewhere.

What a great time to be a cyclist I say 🤙