Zurich 2024 - World Championship Road Race

Vetplant

Not much chatter in the lead-up to world championship race, but here's hoping for an exciting edition on Saturday/Sunday.

Startlist Men:https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/world-championship/2024/startlist

On the Men's side, I will prefer an underdog taking it instead of Remco or MvdP. Imagine Biniam rolling with the rainbow jersey next year!

Startlist Women: https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/world-championship-we/2024/startlist

On the women's side, a win for Kasia will be the absolute cherry on top following an amazing 2024 Tour de France Femmes.

17 minutes ago, dexterdent said:

Given what I've been reading online, MVDP and Remco ARE the underdogs. Hirschi at 18/1 seems a good bet though.

There's a definite chance does Pog dicing with national teammate Rog or trade teammate Hirschi!

spare a thought for old Patrick who held the Witikon KOM for almost a decade. He's out the top20 already and will be on page 10 before the weekend is over

https://www.strava.com/activities/380812958#73830456019

spacer.png

Rainbow fever time!

Cat Ferguson, already signed by Movistar and performing on her team edition Canyon, wins her 2nd gold in the junior women's race. What a prodigy.

Very hard to call the winner of both the men and women's Elite race. Tadej the favourite, however, not backed by the powerhouse UAE team, which changes his fortunes massively. With his Slovenian teammate, Mohoric, also just ruled out with injury, it may be a conflict of interests amongst Roglic, Tratnik and the 'best rider in the world at this time'.

Must say, the USA team in the men's elite looks powerful with 8 solid Worldtour professionals. Is Jorgenson strong enough on the day? Tom Pidcock seems like a threat too should the Slovenians neutralise each other.

Definitely not a race for the guys with big quads. Zürich is very hilly. Spent some time in the saddle there last year.

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

spacer.png

Rainbow fever time!

Cat Ferguson, already signed by Movistar and performing on her team edition Canyon, wins her 2nd gold in the junior women's race. What a prodigy.

Very hard to call the winner of both the men and women's Elite race. Tadej the favourite, however, not backed by the powerhouse UAE team, which changes his fortunes massively. With his Slovenian teammate, Mohoric, also just ruled out with injury, it may be a conflict of interests amongst Roglic, Tratnik and the 'best rider in the world at this time'.

Must say, the USA team in the men's elite looks powerful with 8 solid Worldtour professionals. Is Jorgenson strong enough on the day? Tom Pidcock seems like a threat too should the Slovenians neutralise each other.

Definitely not a race for the guys with big quads. Zürich is very hilly. Spent some time in the saddle there last year.

This course represents his best opportunity to win it. 

If you look at the profile, there aren’t many really steep pitches. And the climb entering the city circuit is around 6-7% so still draftable. It could be that the gaps will open after that pitch I think because it’s basically rolling terrain. The problem the other riders will have is the the sheer volume of circuits. They’re doing the circuit 7 times so for someone like VDP, I feel like it might be just too much. Over 4000elevation gain as well.

I think Pogi is the rightful favorite but someone like Remco can easily get a gap on a terrain like this and just hold it. Slovenia are probably gonna be the ones to close down all the attacks so we’ll see how much they can protect their leader. But they’re nowhere near as strong as his UAE team so it could leave him exposed.

8 hours ago, dexterdent said:

Given what I've been reading online, MVDP and Remco ARE the underdogs. Hirschi at 18/1 seems a good bet though.

Ya ney i dunno about hirshi beating any of the "big boys"

8 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Definitely not a race for the guys with big quads. Zürich is very hilly. 

Wot he said

Have not ridden the route…yet, I’m doing the citizens fun race (1 lap) early Sunday morning and from what I see and have heard it’s not easy especially if you have to do it 7 times.

Cant see anyone beating Pog.

There was a serious crash in todays junior ladies race, a young Swiss rider had to be airlifted to hospital and undergo surgery for severe brain trauma, let’s hope she recovers.