Ethics joining a group

VO2max

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got no problem joining or be joined. I only hate it when someone passes me on the left. Not good.

If I'm out training, I take the front normally and will stay there for long periods. No point sitting in the slip.

I prefer not to ride in groups' date=' so if I happen to catch them I'll stay some distance behind them. And if you have a problem with me being 10m behind you, you're seriously paranoid.[/quote']

Dude, this is Cape Town, everyone is high and paranoid!

Thanks for the input.

Just to clear up something about the situation of catching them and then staying with them.

It was just that my bike had a flat. They past me just as I was almost finished and therefore I was riding much harder to catch them as they were like a carrot in front of a donkey. When I caught them they were actually riding about the normal pace I normaly do on a LSD ride.

Don't just lurk behind them, greet and ask to join, this always works for me and riders generally don't mind. If they say no, pass them and carry on

I am flabbergasted at the responses and posts on this thread.  F&ck, if someone catches me and wants to ride with, hey, hop in and enjoy the ride.

If I catch someone and feel like joining in, then I do so.  If you want to chat to me, please do so.  If not, don't.  I really do not mind. 

We are a cycling family.  I do not have anything to prove, and I don't expect you to want to prove anything.

I am out on my bike enjoying myself, why get stressed when a fellow cyclist joins me.  If want to go in front and pace for while do so.  If you ge through too hard I am not going to sit your wheel and try to follow you.

How simple can it be??

i'm with permatube on this... i just wish that some of the dudes that catch up to me will one day take pity on me and slow down a bit so that i can try to hang onto their wheels! Wink

I am flabbergasted at the responses and posts on this thread.  F&ck' date=' if someone catches me and wants to ride with, hey, hop in and enjoy the ride.

If I catch someone and feel like joining in, then I do so.  If you want to chat to me, please do so.  If not, don't.  I really do not mind. 

We are a cycling family.  I do not have anything to prove, and I don't expect you to want to prove anything.

I am out on my bike enjoying myself, why get stressed when a fellow cyclist joins me.  If want to go in front and pace for while do so.  If you ge through too hard I am not going to sit your wheel and try to follow you.

How simple can it be??
[/quote']

Halleluya brother....I have always insisted that as a nation we are of the most agrressive on the planet yet we moan when motorists get aggressive with us. So its okay to dish it out but not get it back.....live and let live.....if it won't matter in 5 days time, 5 years time let it go......There are some major inferiority complexes out there.....

I am flabbergasted at the responses and posts on this thread.  F&ck' date=' if someone catches me and wants to ride with, hey, hop in and enjoy the ride.

How simple can it be??
[/quote']

Halleluya brother....I have always insisted that as a nation we are of the most agrressive on the planet yet we moan when motorists get aggressive with us. So its okay to dish it out but not get it back.....live and let live.....if it won't matter in 5 days time, 5 years time let it go......There are some major inferiority complexes out there.....

Agree....although I've narrowed it down to English speaking countries (the ones I've visited). Back home, Ireland (if you can find cyclists to ride with Big%20smile) etc. the whole idea of dropping in with a group is quite alien as we have noticed in the posts above.

As back home, people in Ireland either pass you or just don't join in. Then again it's also very clannish here in certain areas, so it could be that fact.

I was recently in Italy and there you could get groups of 60 riders from all different clubs riding together. If you get caught by a group or catch a group you just jump in.

Now, I didn't do it the first time I found a group as I wasn't sure too of the "protocol" but later on a guy said to me to just join in any group.

The best is sitting behind a couple of roadies and then listening to the excuses they come out with when they realise you're on an MTB ........ better still passing them on the dirt next to the road!!

Join.

Greet: " Ou maat - ek ry nou so bietjie saam met JOU!".

Pass & pull, attack when you're ready,  or get dropped.

Surely it's called a race for a reason?

I usually get irritated when a stranger just sits in my slip (not that i have much of a slipEmbarrassed).

If friends join in - hell - the more the merrier. I'll even sit infront the whole way.

This is how i met Phen in the Hartenbos area; He and his buddy passed me and my dad at a point. After a few kms he slowed down a bit and we caught him again. So i went up next to him, said hi and asked him if he was from that area. The ice was broken, and we cycled together chatting away for almost 10km (i had to turn around again to get my dad at the bottom of the hill). Made a new friend and enjoyed the ride. Try it!Thumbs%20Up

How do they say?...a stranger is just a friend you do not know!Wink