Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

6 minutes ago, TheoG said:

This is exactly the reason why I didn't ride with my pistol yet.  I cant come up with a way to carry and be ready & quick enough in any possible scenario.

I am however 100% in favor of defending yourself in any way possible & practical, for instance using your bike as a moering tool (again, if you have enough time to react), you can do some serious damage with a piece of carbon/aluminum/titanium/steel.

It is important though to be on constant awareness & lookout for possible dangers and risky situations.  I avoid riding trough risky spots as much as possible, and if I do, I'm on super high alert mode.

imho, the worst thing you can do is hands-up and handover your bike.  If we do the k@k will not stop !!!  Unless of course you outnumbered and/or staring into the barrel of a gun.

most of the attacks recently on the east of jhb have been 4 armed perps and 2 vehicles involved.

I have run the scenarios though in my head, thinking of escape routes, defense etc. and the only one with a high chance of me getting out largely unscathed is the hands in the air and hand over the goods scenario. As much as it irks me, it is the option I will take. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, RobbyB said:

Thank goodness that you survived the attack with body intact. I'm sure that a few painful bruises will follow in a few days. So glad to hear that some kind hearted drivers came to your assistance.

I'm sure you'll be more aware of your surroundings and people strolling within it, in future. It often takes an incident like this to give us a wake-up call. 

Ride-on and enjoy the next 6 years incident free...

Thanks RobbyB, still trying to process what happened – bit stiff, road rash and a large swollen bruise from the blow to my arm.

As cyclists we are accustomed to sharing the yellow line with pedestrians through necessity and are often forced to negotiate past them at close proximity due to vehicles approaching from behind. In these typical scenarios we are extremely vulnerable. For me, this incident is a huge wake-up call going forward. I enjoy cycling immensely but in order to continue doing so will have to readjust accordingly, possibly limiting where/when/how I train.

We shouldn’t have to accept that attacks on cyclists are now the norm but, sadly, we really are soft targets. The sheer brazenness of the attempt to steal my bike yesterday indicates how self-assured criminal elements are when it comes to perpetrating such vile activities, safe in the knowledge that the chances of being held accountable are virtually non-existent.

6 minutes ago, peter5500 said:

Thanks RobbyB, still trying to process what happened – bit stiff, road rash and a large swollen bruise from the blow to my arm.

As cyclists we are accustomed to sharing the yellow line with pedestrians through necessity and are often forced to negotiate past them at close proximity due to vehicles approaching from behind. In these typical scenarios we are extremely vulnerable. For me, this incident is a huge wake-up call going forward. I enjoy cycling immensely but in order to continue doing so will have to readjust accordingly, possibly limiting where/when/how I train.

We shouldn’t have to accept that attacks on cyclists are now the norm but, sadly, we really are soft targets. The sheer brazenness of the attempt to steal my bike yesterday indicates how self-assured criminal elements are when it comes to perpetrating such vile activities, safe in the knowledge that the chances of being held accountable are virtually non-existent.

gone are the days of me and a lone pedestrian (yes I profile too) being on the same side of the road within 50m - at least. Just the other day i was approaching a single male walking down road i was trundling up, and i decided...nope. Turned around and went another way.

Thats how they got me back then on my bike, and another time a few years ago while on foot. it's obvious now that this scenario is going to get me anxious going forward. And I used to make a point of being polite and always greeting people I pass. I don't care anymore now...I trust no one next to the road...especially in relative remote places. My blind trust in humanity got me attacked in these scenarios previously...so no more. 

And to think I used to ride those same routes in the dark in 2019/2020!  haha

Now we have to deal with guys in taxis chasing you and taking your crap too. Soon ill be riding on the wrong side of the road like in the old days. Yoo wont catch me again if I can see you coming.

1 hour ago, Adam Young said:

Reading just a few of the posts on this forum has me now reconsidering whether renting a bike during an upcoming visit to Cape Town is really such a good idea... Not being a local may put me at even more risk.  That being said, I'd appreciate any guidance as to:

i. Recommended routes - staying in V&A / city centre area, my plan was something like this:

image.png.dc98f0edaf2f94d47493d5a0dc1b89c4.png

I came across that Pedal Power Association crime map, and it seems to have indicated a number of hotspots, unfortunately in many places in the general vicinty of the route above!

ii. Is riding alone in Cape Town a really stupid thing to do?  Whislt I do all my riding alone and at night where I live, circumstances are very different.  Would riding alone, say from 10am, in Cape Town still be strongly discouraged?  If so, I will have to find some groups then!

I am also planning to ride in the Franschhoek area as well, but I suspect there is less concern there than in Cape Town - but if this impression is also misguided, any insights are most appreciated.

Thanks for the inputs.

I do a similar route often, except I go over constantia nek and then back to hout bay / suikerbossie. The road in front of Polsmoor prison is apparently a hotspot, hell, even constantia has seen a few incidents recently... Just be extra careful in these areas. I'm always prepared to turn around if I see a parked vehicule somewhere it shouldn't and take extra distance from pedestrians walking against me...

2 hours ago, Adam Young said:

Reading just a few of the posts on this forum has me now reconsidering whether renting a bike during an upcoming visit to Cape Town is really such a good idea... Not being a local may put me at even more risk.  That being said, I'd appreciate any guidance as to:

i. Recommended routes - staying in V&A / city centre area, my plan was something like this:

I came across that Pedal Power Association crime map, and it seems to have indicated a number of hotspots, unfortunately in many places in the general vicinty of the route above!

ii. Is riding alone in Cape Town a really stupid thing to do?  Whislt I do all my riding alone and at night where I live, circumstances are very different.  Would riding alone, say from 10am, in Cape Town still be strongly discouraged?  If so, I will have to find some groups then!

I am also planning to ride in the Franschhoek area as well, but I suspect there is less concern there than in Cape Town - but if this impression is also misguided, any insights are most appreciated.

Thanks for the inputs.

Franschhoek all around is fine. Zero issues.

5 hours ago, Adam Young said:

Thanks for the inputs.

Adam I regularly drive between sites for work ... and see LOTS of lone cyclists out on the roads, at all hours.

Saw a couple of lone cyclists riding was Kayamandi earlier this week .... certainly a "known hot spot".  But in reality how many bike jackings happen on this section ?  With litterally hundreds of cyclists per day.   

Threads like these do serve a purpose.  ... we should be more alert.  Unfortunately it is similar to 4x4 threads that will convince you that you will be hi.jacked if you buy a Fortuner ....

Similar for most other hot spots.

Having had an attempted bike jacking in a NON hot spot I am of the opinion these are purely opportunistic crimes.  I was lucky to be observant and to realise what was happening .... by the time he stepped into the road my bike was in full boost and I stood up and launched forward !!  He retreated very quickly.... 

I am continuing my normal rides.  As 95% of my rides are solo I avoid passing through known hotspots on my own ... either by re.routing, or by waiting at the top of Helshoogte then joining other riders for the hotspot area.

The route you show have LOTS of cyclists each and every day.  Go and enjoy it.  Be alert, dont cycle past "loiterers" ... 

That said ... dont carry valuables .... make sure your insurance is sorted ... dont try to be a hero

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Jbr said:

May be an image of 2 people, outdoors and text that says 'GOOD TASTE I LOVE IT 100%'

Sometimes they mess with the wrong cyclists ;) Hope this scum thinks twice before attacking another group

Seriously, give us some more context?! What happened? How? Location? When? 😂

This mofo pulled a knife on my friend by the Big Barrel Pub on Sunday morning. Not sure how he turned the situation to his advantage, I saw him briefly at the Alsa Crit but didn't have time to chat to him. He is definitely a cycling hero in the area, he does a lot for the sport, but I hope he doesn't take too many risks for himself in the process. Surely he knew what he was doing (hopefully)

Edited by Jbr

4 minutes ago, Jbr said:

This mofo pulled a knife on my friend by the Big Barrel Pub on Sunday morning. Not sure how he turned the situation to his advantage, I saw him briefly at the Alsa Crit but didn't have time to chat to him. He is definitely a cycling hero in the area, he does a lot for the sport, but I hope he doesn't take too many risks for himself in the process. Surely he knew what he was doing (hopefully)

This just outside Richwood in the Durbanville Hills area?

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

May be an image of 2 people, outdoors and text that says 'GOOD TASTE I LOVE IT 100%'

Sometimes they mess with the wrong cyclists ;) Hope this scum thinks twice before attacking another group

Check the watch on the perp? Is that not a fitness watch? So not the first time he has done this?

8 minutes ago, Hairy said:

This just outside Richwood in the Durbanville Hills area?

Yes going from richwood towards durbanville, right before the contermanskloof road intersection.

Unfortunately right now we have no safe way of going to durbanville, I'm planning a ride this weekend that side, and it looks like the safest way might still be going through Du noon not too early so that there is trafic (and there is police presence most days when I go).

Or the long way Plattekloof side, but using the bridge by the makro to then ride through richwood has become a no-no. This was at 7:30 not even that early...

Edited by Jbr

6 hours ago, Jbr said:

Love it, well done that man

5 hours ago, Jbr said:

Yes going from richwood towards durbanville, right before the contermanskloof road intersection.

Unfortunately right now we have no safe way of going to durbanville, I'm planning a ride this weekend that side, and it looks like the safest way might still be going through Du noon not too early so that there is trafic (and there is police presence most days when I go).

Or the long way Plattekloof side, but using the bridge by the makro to then ride through richwood has become a no-no. This was at 7:30 not even that early...

Forwarded this to Adrian from green platoon security. He says he has seen the post but is looking for the contact info of the cyclist. They cant find the suspect with saps(if he was handed over lol) 

hes one of the guys patrolling the area snd the guy that helped me back then. Ill pm you his details if you feel like putting them in touch.