Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

37 minutes ago, webs said:

Also remembers the guy that got stabbed with a knife in his head.

Got back on his bike and rode himself to his GP before being transferred to trauma unit.

1189365777_swayneknife.jpg.c399efa6108b9703b05683f825449fe6.jpg

It was a cheap knife and by some freak fortune the blade bent, ending up under the scalp and over the temporal bone.  

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/12/2021 at 10:12 AM, ChUkKy said:

Seems theres a lot of areas to watch out for but suppose its not much different to riding in Joburg...

Im gonna be in Somerset West from the 23rd December and one of the rides I wanted to do was from SSW through Strand, Gordons bay all the way on the coastal route to Hermanus. Is there any caution areas?

Ive gone as far as bettys bay and then back to SSW about 2 years back and it was fine.

Will br riding MTB mostly but a tar ride on the MTB isnt out of the question and thats one of the rides I want to do.

Drive to Gordon's Bay, park near Bikini Beach, ride from there....

4 hours ago, Hairy said:

I "liked" this, but experience over a few decades of using the mountain, taught me not to hold my breath and rather be a realist. I certainly no longer expect the politicians to fix anything and maintain it. Many a new strategy, unit, dogs, motorbikes, even e-bikes and rangers came and went over the years, simply because politicians and burocrats are useless at implimenting anything and following through. Usually, as soon as the news cameras disappeared and there is no more publicity to gain from it, the initiatives tend to fade and the criminals will still be there. Back to square one! Sadly! But I'm an eternal optimist, so I keep hoping that this will be the real fix!  

Edit: Perhaps the City of Cape Town, SAPS and SANParks should look at what Tokai MTB did in Upper Tokai over the past 5 years or so. Basically they made no big hoo-haa, but with a small dedicated team and some consistent presence, they have basically kept that section of the mountain crime free. It can be done on a larger scale.

Edited by DJR

9 minutes ago, DJR said:

I "liked" this, but experience over a few decades of using the mountain, taught me not to hold my breath and rather be a realist. I certainly no longer expect the politicians to fix anything and maintain it. Many a new strategy, unit, dogs, motorbikes, even e-bikes and rangers came and went over the years, simply because politicians and burocrats are useless at implimenting anything and following through. Usually, as soon as the news cameras disappeared and there is no more publicity to gain from it, the initiatives tend to fade and the criminals will still be there. Back to square one! Sadly! But I'm an eternal optimist, so I keep hoping that this will be the real fix!  

we all know this is just a band aid .... crime is a social issue that need to be resolved, and the only way to really solve it is through education of the youth.

HOWZIT GUYS

I do follow the thread, it still blows my mind the the mother city is worse than “Gangsters paradise “

im in Blouberg for 8 days please can you guys tell me 5 places I can safely go ride from Blouberg (if I have to drive I will)

please don’t recommend places in Cape Town

as I’ll be there after these 8 days

also my 13 year old is with she won’t be riding all my rides with me, so if you guys can recommend safe for kids, she is good for 50-60km average skills(in joberg terms) 

I’ve got my scalpel TO PLAY and my Ritchey for Grinds/TITS

THSNKS

Just now, DIPSLICK said:

HOWZIT GUYS

I do follow the thread, it still blows my mind the the mother city is worse than “Gangsters paradise “

im in Blouberg for 8 days please can you guys tell me 5 places I can safely go ride from Blouberg (if I have to drive I will)

please don’t recommend places in Cape Town

as I’ll be there after these 8 days

also my 13 year old is with she won’t be riding all my rides with me, so if you guys can recommend safe for kids, she is good for 50-60km average skills(in joberg terms) 

I’ve got my scalpel TO PLAY and my Ritchey for Grinds/TITS

THSNKS

F1AA631D-2910-4F04-9445-5A8A010B12BF.jpeg.ac45e292eccf5d581712aae550948ed5.jpeg

1 minute ago, DIPSLICK said:

Oh and not that you guys don’t know it 

you bunch are lucky

ahah thanks. Here are my typical rides :

This is the one if you want to ride safely, mostly on cycle paths : https://www.strava.com/activities/6273397689

This one is also safe, there's only that one part on the N1 that is a bit dodge, after that it's crime safe but you'll be sharing the road with the cars. You can push it to the top of chappies, or even to noerdhoek https://www.strava.com/activities/6167608429

You can also go durbanville side on the bike, but there's no ideal way to cross over, this is the least dangerous one : https://www.strava.com/activities/6365990833 but still pretty *** to go over the bridge. Also some areas that side had crime related incidents lately, especially contermanskloof road area.

Best is if you have your MTB that you drive to the tygerberg trails and enjoy that side. There's plenty to do there. Check on the clubs website I think they have memberships for tourists not sure if you are allowed to use all the members only corridors, worth checking

• 1 month later...

I used to cycle to the tygerberg trails from Sunningdale all the time. It was a good morning out and on the day's I felt stronger than normal I could average an 85km day which would include Hoogekraal, Contermans and even some Bloemendal in the mix before riding back across the N7 again.

Those days are long gone since the arrival of Covid and the DuNoon expansions.

As sad as it is I drive to the trails, do my lap(s) and drive home again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Cycling on the R 43 between Hermanus and Botrivier, the road goes past Hawston....

Is it still safe to cycling past there? Houses are getting more and closer to the road all the time.

• 1 month later...

On Sunday Morning at 6h15 on Orpen road Tokai, I got aggressively forced off the road by a sedan car with several occupants (I couldn't tell how many through the tinted windows). Knowing what can potentially happen in these situations I decided to drop my bike and make a run for it and jumped the fence into the Tokai plantation. They grabbed the bike and sped off in the Tokai / Westlake direction. 

If you see a bargain Scott Spark World Cup AXS in Extra Large, its probably mine :(

https://bikehub.co.za/stolen-bikes/2129/scott-spark-world-cup-axs-2021

Sucks. Early morning riding anywhere is out imo. Thats the new m.o. 

And tygervalley rd, i really dont get why people still ride there alone. Even if you didnt know about these attacks, Dunoon is right there in full view…that alone should make your spidey senses tingle. You cant ride anywhere near there that has a downhill straight to dunoon. Thats their M.O that side. That whole contermans road area has gone to chit. It is what it is, find somewhere new.