Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

1st pic = it's the only way to get in town these days

2nd pic, nobody goes that way, you can go underneath that bridge by CTICC and rejoin the N1 a little bit further down the road. It's litterally 500m both ways that are a bit dodge as the rest is pretty safe with wide shoulders. We wouldn't do it if we didn't have to, but otherwise we are a bit trapped in table view/milnerton with all accesses to durbanville being almost as dodgy

Edited by Jbr

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an incident yesterday, in our neighborhood and about 200m from my house, where an oldish gentleman in his micro car came crawling past me, forcing me closer to the edge of the road (I was on my Mtb, so no great problem) only to immediately swing to the left and stopping dead in front of me. Luckily I was anticipating this move, and could avoid riding into him. I stopped next to him, tapped on his window and asked him if he was even aware I was on the road, all very polite off course.

The blank stare I got back answered my question, so I just shrugged and cycled off. 

So yes, we are invisible to motorists. 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

The speed limit is 80kph there so it’s not that bad. Ive also ridden there, it does feel wrong the first few times but to be honest its just because of all the lanes. The traffic is actually usually moving slower than some other roads where it’s supposed to be cycling friendly. You are a lot more exposed on the R27, R304, R44 for instance. And it’s not like one or two cyclist do it, it’s like the only (mugging/bikejack free) way and you see plenty of them during ‘peak’ cycling hours. 

I've being wanting to ride from my side of the world down that way, but each time I get to the Caltex just up from the N1 I end making a u-turn. Riding there just creeps me out. But that could also be because I'm usually alone.

13 hours ago, mikkelz said:

As an aside, I've noticed I tend to get a lot more space around me on my bike since I've been riding with lights on

I have found this too

11 hours ago, CapSizer said:

To be honest, I don't think the legality the most important question, but these images show blue signs, which I understand to mean freeway, motorway or highway.  The real question is whether you think sharing a road with high speed (OK, not during peak hours) traffic is an acceptable risk.  Also, if there is an accident, what your position is with regards to liability if you are not supposed to be there.

n1_b.jpg

n1_a.jpg

Its not that cyclists particularly want to cycle on that stretch - it is just the least worse option out of a set of bad options.

3 hours ago, splat said:

For many motorists, cyclists are obstacles and obstructions. Things that are in the way and must get past and around. Like a bollard or speed bump.
And I don't just mean here in SA, its like that around the world. But here we have African rules with an associated disregard for other people's lives.

I always ask politely at at robot when catching up to a driver who has sped past me in traffic, "Was it necessary to speed past and dangerously close if we are here at the same time", I've received a few apologies and a few ignorant, arrogant folk who feel they need to be aggressive, I then simply reply with, I doubt you would drive like that if i was on a Scooter or if theres a vagrant pushing a trolley infront of you", and then often just get a blank stare or more aggression because they realize they're wrong. And as Murphys Law would have it, The next 1 or 2kms is filled with traffic lights and they speed past again, and when I pass again, I make sure to smile and wave.

Another incident at Tokai circle this morning as received from Whatsapp - same MO : 

Hi everyone,
This morning at 6 a.m. a good friend of mine was hijacked at Tokai roundabout!
3 f@&ckwhits jumped him from a Taxi.
Fortunately he wasn’t hurt and didn’t try to fight for his bike - Specialized Tarmac.
Seems that riding early alone is not such a good idea.
Be aware and be safe out there.

14 minutes ago, MarcW said:

Another incident at Tokai circle this morning as received from Whatsapp - same MO : 

Hi everyone,
This morning at 6 a.m. a good friend of mine was hijacked at Tokai roundabout!
3 f@&ckwhits jumped him from a Taxi.
Fortunately he wasn’t hurt and didn’t try to fight for his bike - Specialized Tarmac.
Seems that riding early alone is not such a good idea.
Be aware and be safe out there.

no man, that's twice in two days 😡

Any idea where the victim from yesterdays incidents Garmin was retrieved? He said that it was found along the M3, So my assumption would be, Taxi stops, Guys rob the cyclist, Taxi heads off down Tokai road, Turns right onto M3 towards Westlake area then up into Westlake Informal area where the bike possibly gets offloaded. Remeber there were a number of incidents outside Pollsmoor last year and the year before with bike jackings and they have since stationed a vehicle there in the mornings, If I'm not mistaken, 1 lady had a tracker and her bike was recovered at a house there. So quite possibly same group/syndicate just with a different M.O.

18 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Any idea where the victim from yesterdays incidents Garmin was retrieved? He said that it was found along the M3, So my assumption would be, Taxi stops, Guys rob the cyclist, Taxi heads off down Tokai road, Turns right onto M3 towards Westlake area then up into Westlake Informal area where the bike possibly gets offloaded. Remeber there were a number of incidents outside Pollsmoor last year and the year before with bike jackings and they have since stationed a vehicle there in the mornings, If I'm not mistaken, 1 lady had a tracker and her bike was recovered at a house there. So quite possibly same group/syndicate just with a different M.O.

My perception is that this is on the increase, everywhere (along with all crime I know) but it's expensive and traumatic. Maybe this, like on a Toyota, is needed if cycling in these parts of CT (or anywhere?). I understand that such a unit costs around R650, BUT, if you want decent battery life, will only update every few hours.

6 minutes ago, DJR said:

If you REALLY want to experience invisibility, come and ride around the Salt River Circle with me🤪

NO THANK YOU....... I do not have a death wish. Negotiating that traffic circle in a car is scary enough.

2 hours ago, DJR said:

If you REALLY want to experience invisibility, come and ride around the Salt River Circle with me🤪

Yooor that place, eish, Always checking my life policies are up to date just before entering that circle(Actually  that whole stretch from the foot of the bridge on Liesbeek till i get safely onto the N1. Also, The inability of motorists to indicate correctly at a traffic circle.. Yoh yoh yoh

Edited by FootballingCyclist

13 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Yooor that place, eish, Always checking my life policies are up to date just before entering that circle(Actually  that whole stretch from the foot of the bridge on Liesbeek till i get safely onto the N1. Also, The inability of motorists to indicate correctly at a traffic circle.. Yoh yoh yoh

Really spoilt for a choice in the span of 500m,
would you like to get "door'd" by a parked car,
or do you fancy a side swipe from a taxi,
or is it a round of "Frogger" you fancy at the round-a-bout,
or are you a purist waiting to get mugged and jumped,
or just a good ol' shard of glass in the rubber.

1 minute ago, PotatoBagMan said:

Really spoilt for a choice in the span of 500m,
would you like to get "door'd" by a parked car,
or do you fancy a side swipe from a taxi,
or is it a round of "Frogger" you fancy at the round-a-bout,
or are you a purist waiting to get mugged and jumped,
or just a good ol' shard of glass in the rubber.

And coming from Town side toward the circle after 9am on weekends is literally a game of survival, Like The Guantlet on MTN Gladiators. If you can get past The Old Biscuit Mill between 9 and 11am without almost becoming road kill, getting side swiped or having people going for breakfast and drinks run into you as they run between the cars, You're truly blessed.