Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, reteid said:

Hopefully the Senior State Prosecutor will apply his/her mind and refuse to prosecute after investigation is finalized.

Nolle Presequi

It is very sad that the mugger chose to put his life on the line for a few phones and then lost his roll of the dice in a situation he instigated. 

57 minutes ago, Milosh said:

It is very sad that the mugger chose to put his life on the line for a few phones and then lost his roll of the dice in a situation he instigated. 

In the times we are living in currently, and with all the insanity that we are seeing happen across this place we call home, sometimes we get a sense of euphoria when "the wheel turns" and someone loses the fight to stay alive. It's easy to feel unsympathetic and that the person's death is justified, even wanted.

But to me, I am willfully reminding myself that it was a human life that was lost for a very foolish reason. And justifiable or not, I am focused on the pure human tragedy this will unleash. 

And no, mense, I am not saying I support what he did. He sowed. He reaped. And now he has to face the consequences on the other side of the curtain to eternity. For him, it's too late. And that saddens me.

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

In the times we are living in currently, and with all the insanity that we are seeing happen across this place we call home, sometimes we get a sense of euphoria when "the wheel turns" and someone loses the fight to stay alive. It's easy to feel unsympathetic and that the person's death is justified, even wanted.

But to me, I am willfully reminding myself that it was a human life that was lost for a very foolish reason. And justifiable or not, I am focused on the pure human tragedy this will unleash. 

And no, mense, I am not saying I support what he did. He sowed. He reaped. And now he has to face the consequences on the other side of the curtain to eternity. For him, it's too late. And that saddens me.

I hear you.
It leaves me cold.

Was he trying to provide for hungry mouths back home? Unsure. I genuinely dont think so, but cannot be sure…

Live by the sword/die by the sword. Probably not his 1st robbery. Could be his tenth?
I have some empathy. And then, I feel he got his ‘just desserts’. 

Climbing a mountain, to then (violently) rob people. Idiot. 

On 1/23/2024 at 4:34 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

Ja this is a good point. Someone's son / brother / father / friend. Gotta feel for the guy who pepper sprayed him and saw him fall too. 

Published by Murray Swart on January 26, 2024
 54  46

The man arrested at Lion’s Head for robbery and attempted rape appeared in Cape Town Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.

According to IOL, National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila confirmed that Sidney Wolhuter (23) has been charged with two counts of robbery with aggravating circumstances, two counts of attempted rape, and assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Ntabazalila stated that the victims were two women: a Japanese and a Dutch national.

He said that the State would oppose bail if the accused applied and that the case was postponed until February 7 for bail information.

Rangers from Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) apprehended the man on Sunday.

This came after a woman was robbed of her belongings while hiking at Lion’s Head, according to SANParks TMNP.

The arrest was made as a result of a collaborative effort between SANParks rangers, City of Cape Town Metro Police, and law enforcement officers who located the suspect and recovered the women’s belongings.

The man was arrested, and the victims filed a criminal report.

Megan Taplin, TMNP manager, thanked all parties involved in the joint operation that resulted in the arrests.

‘Our teams will continue to monitor this area and ensure the safety of the park users. Well done to all involved and keep up the exceptional work!’

https://www.capetownetc.com/news/attempted-rape-suspect/

19 minutes ago, Murrob said:

Sharing as received. 200b78d3-e094-47aa-b814-ed6ab1a59c34.jpeg.9b9c3fc6541ee3c7a354d0f8c9ae03ad.jpeg

@NickGM, sounds close to where you were harassed. Seems they might have been scoping.

4 minutes ago, MORNE said:

@NickGM, sounds close to where you were harassed. Seems they might have been scoping.

That's exactly the place. Thanks for the notification. Bit of a bummer that my main route out of town is a bit of a no-go for now.

Confiscating the bike is great for the owner but an incident like this also happens once a month now.

****, that's my usual long ride route to Franschhoek.

Just gotta klap that segment even harder now.

Jokes aside, is it possible to get an exact Google Maps pin of the bend in question?

19 hours ago, mikkelz said:

****, that's my usual long ride route to Franschhoek.

Just gotta klap that segment even harder now.

Jokes aside, is it possible to get an exact Google Maps pin of the bend in question?

This is the spot where my incident happened:

image.png.13ef8be843425dfcb02ddc8caa58d8bb.png

Not surprising, it's where there is a little path and where the barrier ends. I've posted about my experience a few pages back on this thread; it was pretty disorganized and opportunistic. No weapons involved and may have just been some tikkop trying to scare me. But I have now heard of two more serious incidents at the exact same location. I still see loads of people cycling over the pass (both in real life and strava). For now I don't think I'd ride over there solo until it calms down, but that's just me. In the long term I can't see it becoming a real hotspot though, that road is just too busy.

On 1/21/2024 at 1:24 AM, M L said:

Maybe just some more info on this.

An elderly gentleman (71) was attacked on Blaauwklippen Road on Saturday morning 2024/01/13. He saw a guy with a hoody standing in the road as he reached the top of the Stellenrust farm climb. He couldn't turn around and decided to ride into the attacker. He was then thrown off his bike, hurt his shoulder very badly (think he broke his collarbone), and was then hit with a short type of panga in the face - across his cheek and nose. He lost consciousness at some point. Two coloured guys attacked him and stole his cellphone and bike.

Another rider about 20-30 meters behind him saw the 1 attacker standing over him. At this point the victim was unconscious, lying face down on the tar. SAPS and an ambulance were called. SAPS didn't come. A case with Stellenbosch SAPS was opened.

We've assisted SAPS where we can and made some good progress on the case. It seems like the attackers came from Jamestown (neighborhood a few hundred meters from the attack). We can share some more details once the attackers have been found. We've also reached out to a lawyer to assist with compiling the docket etc. as we want to push for attempted murder.

Thanks for this info. Please keep us updated if you find out anything more, as this is a very popular road for road and mtb riders.