Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

9 minutes ago, droo said:

The shoes are the biggest problem. It's hard to look like you mean business wearing disco slippers.

Follow in the footsteps of DDT and put flats on your gravel bike and ride in 510s...... 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, droo said:

The shoes are the biggest problem. It's hard to look like you mean business wearing disco slippers.

There are options though:

image.png.59c89194bcb856fbb2594cc462dae176.png

8 minutes ago, droo said:

The shoes are the biggest problem

i thought it was the middle age, propensity for a bierpens and the lycra that is a little too tight and revealing

56 minutes ago, peepeekaitjie said:

i thought it was the middle age, propensity for a bierpens and the lycra that is a little too tight and revealing

Are you planning to discipline some vagrants or just happy to see me?

2 hours ago, mikkelz said:

What's your suggestion?

This has to be the same individuals in the four (?) attempts in the last week right?

Would this be a pointless plan... a group cycling followed by a vehicle shadowing them (the criminals clearly don't care if witnesses are around), if they attempt their attack, occupants of the vehicle shoot them with pepper spray projectiles (eg Byrna, cos you don't want to get too close). Should be able to neutralise them and cuff them. Then call the cops to pick them up. GoPros for the evidence of their crimes and through Bike Hub/Strava we have the details of at least three victims who can lay charges. Should be an open and shut case... or am I having an uncharacteristic moment of optimism? Oh wait... why are we doing the job of the police🤬

P.S. re-reading that just made me realise we really are descending into the wild west😔

Edited by wolver

1 hour ago, wolver said:

This has to be the same individuals in the four (?) attempts in the last week right?

Would this be a pointless plan... a group cycling followed by a vehicle shadowing them (the criminals clearly don't care if witnesses are around), if they attempt their attack, occupants of the vehicle shoot them with pepper spray projectiles (eg Byrna, cos you don't want to get too close). Should be able to neutralise them and cuff them. Then call the cops to pick them up. GoPros for the evidence of their crimes and through Bike Hub/Strava we have the details of at least three victims who can lay charges. Should be an open and shut case... or am I having an uncharacteristic moment of optimism? Oh wait... why are we doing the job of the police🤬

P.S. re-reading that just made me realise we really are descending into the wild west😔

Anything that we do would be very much the wild west, which is ridiculous in and of itself. But I see no other option (assuming anyone feels it is a fight worth having).

6 minutes ago, mikkelz said:

Anything that we do would be very much the wild west, which is ridiculous in and of itself. But I see no other option (assuming anyone feels it is a fight worth having).

Well complacency certainly isn't going to change anything and I have little faith in the authorities! 

I'm free tomorrow morning🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, wolver said:

😀i like it, their actions are premeditated i.o.w they have a lookout peering down Marine Drive looking for flashing lights. when sighted 'the ambush party' is alerted. something has to give, those that live there are desperate. if they aren't removed the attacks will continue unless someone or something deters them. i know of a rider who was attacked there late last year. he 'carries' and has been itching to use it. he says about 10 perps jumped him and a friend very early ie 530am during the working week. knocked him off the bike but fled when Dirty Harry emerged.

The problem with going vigilante on these perps is that it escalates, and before we know it they are shooting first and asking for your bike later

5 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

Alan Winde always carries on about making Cape Town a "cycling city" - be it for commuting or cycling along our coastline etc. - what are they doing about the escalation of these incidents?

We approach the cycle tour with heightened awareness of the sport - would love to have him and perhaps Bellairs come out and share what their plan is..

This is just ridiculous!

Mr A Wind-bag .... spewing a lot of hot air ....

.... nee wat .... net nog n useless politikus 🤦🏻‍♂️

35 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

The problem with going vigilante on these perps is that it escalates, and before we know it they are shooting first and asking for your bike later

Isn't it already like that ?

4 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

In this case, if they have guns, why are they chucking bricks? 

On the balance of probability, I'd take the chance I think 

18 hours ago, wolver said:

The way things work, you and your well-intentioned gang will be behind bars quicker than the crims you out to catch.

Is there a whatsapp group in already place for riders who are from Blouberg and surrounds? There are so many cyclists from this area who have no other choice but to use the N1 section to get to town/camps/hout bay etc.  Even though these thugs may not fear a group, I would still feel safer linking up with other riders heading in the same direction. 

My suggestion would be to form a WA group where riders simply send a message stating what time they are heading into town, their approximate location and an estimate of the average speed they intend to ride in. Once we get past this hot spot, we can de-couple or whatever. 

I know WA groups are annoying but I would see value in something like this. We need to stick together and create our own solutions to ensure we can continue doing what we love. 

23 hours ago, wolver said:

Well complacency certainly isn't going to change anything and I have little faith in the authorities! 

I'm free tomorrow morning🤷‍♂️

I've got one of those pepper ball launchers with a bunch of pepper balls I've been itching to use.....