Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

........................... He was cycling along the M5 towards Muizenberg at around 4am on Sunday morning (I know!) .....................

Personally, I think your chances of getting killed in an accident on this Rondebosch freeway section of the M5 is a lot higher than getting bike-jacked!

At 4am, it is still pitch dark as well. Every on- or off-ramp is a death trap with + 100 km/h traffic from behind that riders try to cut across while doing 25 km/h. Altogether, it is a bad-news-place to be riding, never mind alone, or illegal.

Glad the rider got away unscathed though. I hope he learns something from this, and warn others to stay off the freeway part of the M5.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HUH??

Now PPA must play Policeman to protect each and every cyclist all hours of the day!?

Think this is a LAW ENFORCEMENT issue, way out of PPA's jurisdiction.

Agreed. This is a law enforcement/SAPS/ANC/Jacob Zuma's (lol, he does nothing) job.

However, I think if the PPA puts pressure on the relevant authorities, it carries a lot more weight than you or I posting on "The Hub SA" or on Twitter, etc.

It's not their job to enforce it, but to ensure that the correct people are.

Edited by mikkelz

Personally, I think your chances of getting killed in an accident on this Rondebosch freeway section of the M5 is a lot higher than getting bike-jacked!

At 4am, it is still pitch dark as well. Every on- or off-ramp is a death trap with + 100 km/h traffic from behind that riders try to cut across while doing 25 km/h. Altogether, it is a bad-news-place to be riding, never mind alone, or illegal.

Glad the rider got away unscathed though. I hope he learns something from this, and warn others to stay off the freeway part of the M5.

Agreed, the M5 should be avoided.

What worries me is nowadays I'm riding around with this nagging thought in the back of my head of "when is it my turn"... and the list of danger areas seem to be growing at a decent pace.

How safe would it be to ride Camps bay to Noordhoek and back, alone. Not super early after 9am. I'm thinking the roads should be busy enough, car and cyclist training wise? 

I'm looking to do this every second day while on holiday middle of this month as training. But I know riding alone is not a good option… 

should the road be busy enough to not worry? 

just curious. 

How safe would it be to ride Camps bay to Noordhoek and back, alone. Not super early after 9am. I'm thinking the roads should be busy enough, car and cyclist training wise? 

I'm looking to do this every second day while on holiday middle of this month as training. But I know riding alone is not a good option… 

just curious. 

Why not take a leap of faith and wait somewhere along the road for another cyclist or group of riders to come by and ask if you can tag along with them, so that you are not riding on your own?? I don't know of a single person I ride with that would say no.

just curious. 

You won't be alone Lynnie, that route is super popular and by all account safe. It gets busy from first light. Enjoy the views they are magnificent.

You won't be alone Lynnie, that route is super popular and by all account safe. It gets busy from first light. Enjoy the views they are magnificent.

thanks  :D

I've done the route a lot, but I'll be on holiday and I will be able to do it while everyone I normally ride with will be working…  :thumbdown: .. so just checking. I was thinking it should be busy with people training for Argus. woohooo! 

Why not take a leap of faith and wait somewhere along the road for another cyclist or group of riders to come by and ask if you can tag along with them, so that you are not riding on your own?? I don't know of a single person I ride with that would say no.

oooorrrr I could just be a creepy stalker, kinda just cycling along…  :whistling:

The route will be busy, which is why you should just chirp some people riding by at roughly the pace you like to ride!

Stalking,,,, aahhhhh that wonderful moment when two people go for a romantic stroll along the beach but only one of them knows about it....

:ph34r:  :devil:

• 1 month later...

A new construction site going up at Glen beach (between Campsbay and Clifton) on the hill.Yesterday there were lots of big trucks offloading ,peak hour traffic and cyclists weaving through.

Be carefull out there !!

• 2 months later...

Some bag-grabbing reported on cycle lane again close to the Woodstock station this morning around 9.

Take care, and maybe wait for a bunch before attempting the stretch through Paardeneiland into town.