Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Hi all, coming to CT for two weeks next month. Keen to bring a road bike with me but getting very concerned about what I read about muggings etc. Staying in Glencairn Heights. I guess that the loop from there down to the cape and back via Kommetjie is pretty safe but would also like to fit in longer ride or two, perhaps something like the Argos route, or maybe our west around the bay.....already know to sprint past Kyalitsha! Used to anything up to 200km in UK. Anyone have suggestions for longer rides or better still groups I could book up with for safety in numbers. Best case scenario is a place I could post to fix up company in advance for some days whilst there. Planning early morning starts as family have other ideas for the rest of each day!

Cheers.

There are a bunch of rides you can do very safely in that area. For a bit of hills you can go north from Kommetjie to Noordhoek -> Chapmans Peak -> Constantia Neck -> Ou Kaapse Weg -> Black Hill and back to Glencairn.

For very long rides I tend to go up the West Coast with the R27. It goes on forever but it's a bit of a boring flat road, so it's pretty much up to you how far you want to go.

Another nice, long ride is to head north to Bellville and then on to Stellenbosch via Bottelary Road. From there across Helshoogte to Franschhoek and back.

There are very few real "danger areas" that I've experienced and I ride alone a lot of the time. The southern area where you're going to be staying is especially safe.

There are quite a few clubs that you could join up with for their morning rides, e.g. Club100 or CycleLab. but they mainly ride over weekends.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning i received a message :

"Slm, had a minor incident today, salt river lower main rd, 2 skelm on our left and 1 crossing the road towards us. as he cross he ran toward us, we accelerated. As he was coming over put his hand behind his back. So we went left"

To add to list :

Turfhall road, opposite Hanover Park.

Jan smuts Drive....

Be vigilant guys.... flippen scary

Another cyclist got attacked on the cycle lanes going to table view under the bridge yesterday @ roughly 5:30pm (Saw on Twitter) Seems this area is getting bad again... I think they need to position a copper there again like they used too!

Another cyclist got attacked on the cycle lanes going to table view under the bridge yesterday @ roughly 5:30pm (Saw on Twitter) Seems this area is getting bad again... I think they need to position a copper there again like they used too!

Would be sooo n ice to set these a-holes up and teach them a lesson :devil:

To add to list :

Turfhall road, opposite Hanover Park.

Jan smuts Drive....

Be vigilant guys.... flippen scary

I don't even drive my car there

From twitter

@MTBDirtRider: @WScycleworks @brettherron @alanwinde @Bicycling_SA @bicyclesafetysa Another cycling lane attack on Monday 18th! Man hit with brick!

@MTBDirtRider: @Bicycling_SA Peak hour, 5:30pm!

@MTBDirtRider: @GeekyBeardBloke @WScycleworks @brettherron @alanwinde @Bicycling_SA Theft,all same spot,bridge close2Paarden Eiland.Completely out of hand!

@MTBDirtRider: WARNING: RT and warn others! Do not use cycling lane on N1, 2 serious attacks in 1 week! @brettherron @CityofCT must act!

BEWARE

Welgevonden just outside Stellenbosch.

I know of 3 attacks in the last two weeks.

Guys are hiding in the bush and throwing moerse rocks at cyclist ... even those riding on the other side of the road :eek:

From twitter

@MTBDirtRider: @WScycleworks @brettherron @alanwinde @Bicycling_SA @bicyclesafetysa Another cycling lane attack on Monday 18th! Man hit with brick!

@MTBDirtRider: @Bicycling_SA Peak hour, 5:30pm!

@MTBDirtRider: @GeekyBeardBloke @WScycleworks @brettherron @alanwinde @Bicycling_SA Theft,all same spot,bridge close2Paarden Eiland.Completely out of hand!

@MTBDirtRider: WARNING: RT and warn others! Do not use cycling lane on N1, 2 serious attacks in 1 week! @brettherron @CityofCT must act!

There has been an increase in police patrols and personnel in this area over the week

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be in Cape Town over the Christmas period and plan to ride the magic forest trail. Is this a safe area to ride?

I'll be in Cape Town over the Christmas period and plan to ride the magic forest trail. Is this a safe area to ride?
Should be fine, I wouldnt stress about riding there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Does anyone know if the Deer Park route in Vredehoek is a risk zone? Im getting back into cycling and Ive considered going on this route on my own.