Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Would be sooo n ice to set these a-holes up and teach them a lesson :devil:

they had a car with three boys in blue there this morning, so seems they finally got a clue. :thumbup:

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

Does anyone know if the Deer Park route in Vredehoek is a risk zone? Im getting back into cycling and Ive considered going on this route on my own.

I have ridden from Deer Park to blockhouse/big tree and back on my own a couple of times. Had no problems so far...touch wood.

I have ridden from Deer Park to blockhouse/big tree and back on my own a couple of times. Had no problems so far...touch wood.

Thank you, yeah lets hope nothing happens in the future.

• 1 month later...

I'm planning on making a MTB training weekend for the Argus in March and want to ride Table Mountain MTB route and Tokai/Silvermine. Will it be safe for this Joburger to ride alone?

I see the Table Mountain Route map highlights a crime spot near hospital bend.

Should I be aware of any other hotpots in these areas?

I'm planning on making a MTB training weekend for the Argus in March and want to ride Table Mountain MTB route and Tokai/Silvermine. Will it be safe for this Joburger to ride alone?

Start at Rhodes Mem, ride up to blockhouse, up tafelberg road, then ride down thru dear park to exit into kloof neck road, descend the glen over suikerbossie over chappies, into old wagon trail to silvermine, do the loop, ride down single track tokai, then spaansche, constantia neck and along newlands back to rhodes mem..... its a monstrous ride! woodstock and salt river during busy times are safe, as the main roads are constantly busy!

for anywhere to ride in CPT... be vigilant

Edited by Meezo

If things remain as they are, I will remove that hotspot from the next edition of the trail map.

Start at Rhodes Mem, ride up to blockhouse, up tafelberg road, then ride down thru dear park to exit into kloof neck road, descend the glen over suikerbossie over chappies, into old wagon trail to silvermine, do the loop, ride down single track tokai, then spaansche, constantia neck and along newlands back to rhodes mem..... its a monstrous ride! woodstock and salt river during busy times are safe, as the main roads are constantly busy!

That sounds awesome, thanks. Any idea on the numbers for that ride?

That sounds awesome, thanks. Any idea on the numbers for that ride?

I live about 8/9kms away from Rhodes Mem, if do the loop back home not back to Rhodes i finish on around 90kms with around 1600m climbing! Pack in lotsa food and some cash

Edit : my riding excludes silvermine loop, so climbing will probably go up to about 2000m distance around 100km

Edited by Meezo

Like the man says, it's a monster ride, but exactly what is needed as preparation for long days on the bike, like Sani day 2. If you ride this route and just survive it, the Argus will feel like a downhill with a tailwind. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Another guy kicked off his bike passing Kyamandi before 7 this morning. He managed to get away after a horrible fall. Watch out. Seems the MO is one guy walks on the left hand side and two on the right hand side of the road. As he approached the 2 guys pretended to cross the road and kicked him off his bike.

Rather choose a different route. Plus I just found this article!

http://www.dieburger.com/nuus/2014-02-13-ng-n-fietsryer-op-r304-by-kayamandi-aangeval

Edited by MissyT

Hi.

It happened to me to on Sat. 22 February at 07H00am on the R304 passing Kayamandi. 2 Guys was walking towards me and as I was getting close to them the one started running and tried to kick me off my bike. He got the back wheel but I managed to slip away from them. Then I hit both brakes, turned around and started confronting them. After confronting them I realised that instead of backing off, they are actually moving towards me. When the one guy started looking over his shoulder for any cars approaching, I knew that something is about to happen and that I had made a stupid decision to confront them. I got away from them crossing the road and met up with 2 other cyclists. I found out an hour later that another guy got attacked and his bike was stolen. Police cars where on the scene.

So my question is-What do we do?

Hi.

It happened to me to on Sat. 22 February at 07H00am on the R304 passing Kayamandi. 2 Guys was walking towards me and as I was getting close to them the one started running and tried to kick me off my bike. He got the back wheel but I managed to slip away from them. Then I hit both brakes, turned around and started confronting them. After confronting them I realised that instead of backing off, they are actually moving towards me. When the one guy started looking over his shoulder for any cars approaching, I knew that something is about to happen and that I had made a stupid decision to confront them. I got away from them crossing the road and met up with 2 other cyclists. I found out an hour later that another guy got attacked and his bike was stolen. Police cars where on the scene.

Hi.

A couple of years ago after I was attacked, I was asked to donate money to the BMX project which I did. Sadly the problem still hang around.

One would think someone from the community see the opportunity to put up a 'beach lifesaver' tower there and ensure security during peak cycling hours. (Advertising space on such a tower must be worth something and it should not be difficult to find monthly donations to cover a salary or two.)

Yes, the Argys route is quite safe from a crime point of view. the best part from Muisenberg, around Cape Point Scarborough, Noordhoek, Hout Bay and on to Green Point is the best part anyway.

Is the above still the case? Riding alone during the week say after 8am'ish. Specifically crime wise???

Is the above still the case? Riding alone during the week say after 8am'ish. Specifically crime wise???

No need to worry. Lots of cyclist around that time of the day, especialy over this period.